SASS Wire Forum

I inherited a .240 Weatherby Magnum

Big Six Henderson #16594

1 hour ago, Big Six Henderson #16594 said:

None of the shops here have ammo.  I plan to reload somewhere down the road, but for now just need some feedback, powder, bullets, etc.

Thanks,

Howdy BIG 6

First, find out your rate of twist in the barrel.  This will help you determine some of the better bullet

weights for accuracy purposes.

Hopefully, a Wire Pard will be able to help with that info and have some good load data to help you out.

My opinion, that .240 is a darn good caliber and should be legal in most states for deer, etc.....

..........Widder

Saw in one of my firearm newsletters that Weatherby just cut the price of factory ammo in half. Not sure when that will trickle doown to retail stores but you might contact Weatherby direct. Those older rifles were GREAT.

4 hours ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Saw in one of my firearm newsletters that Weatherby just cut the price of factory ammo in half. Not sure when that will trickle doown to retail stores but you might contact Weatherby direct. Those older rifles were GREAT.

Was that all ammo, or just 350 legend?  American Rifleman had an article about the 350 Leg with a line like that. 

I'm going to kick myself if it's all ammo, cause I just bought a lot of my rifle's favorite deer medicine, which just happens to be Hornady's American Whitetail line. 

Six

I own a 240 Weatheryby.  It is a very good cartridge and an accurate rifle.  I’ve owned since 1972.  Of course I glassed the action and floated the barrel.  I shot a lot of deer, ground hogs and coyote with it.  Most accurate load was with Speer 105 gr bullet.  Longer Bullets worked best in my rifle due to long free bore Weatherby’s have.  Can’t remember powder but at the time it was slowest Hodgedon made.  I’ll dig out my old data and get back to you.

Whiskey

Archived