SASS Wire Forum

CB 10 code

Alpo

It's been a LOOOONG time since I did any ratchet jawing. But it seems like there was a 10 code for I am lost and need directions.

This site

https://myradiolab.com/cb-radio-slang-and-10-codes/

claims to list all the 10 codes, but I don't see that one.

Is there a code for that, or have I lost even more of my mind?

Sure you are. Lost is not I DON'T KNOW WHERE I AM. Lost is I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET TO WHERE I WANT TO BE.

"I'm trying to get to 4372 Wilshire Boulevard. I'm currently at the intersection of Hollywood and Vine. A little help please."

I've been thinking more and more on this, and it seems like that mostly what we did was say, "Break 19 for a local".

Remembering what little I knew of the ten code

10/4, I understood you

10/7, gonna go eat

10/8, finished eating, back on the air

10/9, what'd you say?

10/10, I ain't gonna talk, but I'm still listening

10/20, where you at?

10/36, what time is it?

10/100, gotta go tinkle

10/200, gotta poop

Them I'm sure about.

10-20 is location. You simply say what your 20 is and ask how to get to your destiantion.

I had tio learn 10 codes and Q codes in the police academy because I was a state officer and we used 10 codes. But the county I worked in used Q codes so in order to comunicate with the deputies I needed to speak their radio lingo. Q codes were international talk. I have no idea why Dade County used them. It stretched my little brain to the max.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Sure you are. Lost is not I DON'T KNOW WHERE I AM. Lost is I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET TO WHERE I WANT TO BE.

Common usage of "lost" is you don't where you are.   "I'm at X and need directions on how to get to Y" isn't lost, it is just lacking information.

Then we have the 13 codes.

13 Code

13-1 GOOD COPY, All units can copy you and think you're an idiot.

13-2 Yes, I copy you, but I'm ignoring you.

13-3 You're beautiful when you're angry.

13-4 Sorry 'bout that, Big Fella.

13-5 Same to you, Mack!

13-6 OK, so I goofed, none of us are human.

13-7 If you can't copy me it must be your fault because I'm running 3,000 watts. 

13-20 Is your mike clinking or are your uppers loose again?

13-21 Good grief are you being paid by the word?

13-22 Lady, is that your voice or did you install a steam whistle?

13-33 If you had spoken for another 30 seconds you would have been eligible for a Broadcast Station license.

13-24 Y'know, you made more sense last time when you were smashed.  

13-25 Some of the local operators and I have chipped in to purchase your rig from you. Have you considered stamp collecting?

13-26 Next time you eat garlic would you talk farther from the mike?

TECHNICAL...

13-40 Your signal sounds great, now shut off the set and give me a land line so I can find out what you want!

13-41 Either my receiver is out of alignment or you're on channel 28.

13-42 Either my speaker cone is ripped or you better try it again when you sober up a little.

13-43 That was a beautiful 10 try it with your mike connected.

13-44 I love the way your new rig sounds, now I know why the manufacturer discontinued that model so fast.

13-45 Your transmitter must have a short circuit because there's smoke coming from my loudspeaker.

13-46 That's a new antenna? could get a better signal out of a 6-inch piece of damp string!

13-47 What a fantastic signal-give me a few minutes to bring the mobile unit to your driveway so I can copy your message.

SIDEBANDERS

13-50 Say, fella, can you slide that thing down 250 KHz?

13-51 You've tried the uppersideband, you've tried the lower side, you've even tried both sides, hope you're satisfied. Now will you go QRT so we can use the center slot?

13-52 Only good thing about hearing you on Single Sideband is that with only 1 sideband you're only half as offensive as you were on AM!

13-53 Attention AM station on center slot: Just because they won't talk to you on your own channels what makes you think we'll talk to you here?

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:25 PM, Alpo said:

"I'm trying to get to 4372 Wilshire Boulevard. I'm currently at the intersection of Hollywood and Vine. A little help please."

I've been thinking more and more on this, and it seems like that mostly what we did was say, "Break 19 for a local".

Remembering what little I knew of the ten code

10/4, I understood you

10/7, gonna go eat

10/8, finished eating, back on the air

10/9, what'd you say?

10/10, I ain't gonna talk, but I'm still listening

10/20, where you at?

10/36, what time is it?

10/100, gotta go tinkle

10/200, gotta poop

Them I'm sure about.

Fifty+ years ago, the Air Force had a variation on the 10 codes.  I can't quite recall all of them, but IIRC..big IF, 10-9 was "our location is...."  and 10-5 was, "Standbuy"  Again, IIRC, 10-36 was "roger, and out" (end of transmission), as in if Transportation Control had been talking to  you, they'd say, "TCC, 10-4, 10-36!"  If they were telling you to standby (wait interminably while they figured something out), it was "TCC, 10-4, 10-5!" Somebody else who was part of the "blue-suit, greenjeans wearing, truck-drivin' Air Force on the Northern Plains might be better at remembering.  Don't know why they messed around with the codes, but it may have been either to confuse the enemy or us! :rolleyes:

Archived