SASS Wire Forum

Keeping guns in original box

Trigger Mike

Colt puts their 1911 in a plastic bag after oiling the pistol.  If you kept it in the plastic bag in the blue box would rust etc still be a problem?  I gave seen people selling colt black powder guns that rusted out of the plastic in the foam in the case

I have never understood keeping the OEM boxes.  Never understood the big deal about "Original Box and Papers."  Of course, I'm not a collector of anything so I don't care about "Original Box and Papers."  Cardboard, Foam, Cloth, all attract moisture.  Retaining moisture next to metal parts, with no real amount of regular oiling will precipitate .... RUST.  When you remove the treasure from the OEM greasy bag, wipe it down to handle, then don't lubricate it prior to putting it back inna box with the papers, you encourage .... RUST.  It's also kind of a dumb thing to do.  Bestest idea is  frequently go back with an oily rag and wipe down the treasure.  Your treasures will thank you.

I'm not a collector either. But I do keep box and papers. (Someday they will be sold and having the box and paper may help)I put them in a high dry place.  I put the guns in the safe.  I'd have to have a BIG safe or two to keep the guns in boxes in the safe. 

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

I'm not a collector either. But I do keep box and papers. (Someday they will be sold and having the box and paper may help)I put them in a high dry place.  I put the guns in the safe.  I'd have to have a BIG safe or two to keep the guns in boxes in the safe. 

Or have a Gun Room that acts as your safe.

I never store a firearm in the foam lined case.  All firearms are handled during inspection at the store so it must be cleaned when bought.  After cleaning, greasing the gun works better than oil for long term storage. Then put it back in the bag if you want.  The bag is to keep the oil on the firearm instead of absorbing into the case.

The oil that Colt uses at the factory evaporates quickly, so it's of little use protecting the firearm even while still inside the plastic bag. I've seen Colts taken fresh out of the bag at the gun shop that had rust on them! I always save my boxes but they go into storage as I have no room for them otherwise.

I don't store guns in factory boxes, but I don't discard the boxes either.  The original box can command a premium of up to several hundred dollars, depending on the firearm.  

5 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I have never understood keeping the OEM boxes.  Never understood the big deal about "Original Box and Papers."  Of course, I'm not a collector of anything so I don't care about "Original Box and Papers."  Cardboard, Foam, Cloth, all attract moisture.  Retaining moisture next to metal parts, with no real amount of regular oiling will precipitate .... RUST.  When you remove the treasure from the OEM greasy bag, wipe it down to handle, then don't lubricate it prior to putting it back inna box with the papers, you encourage .... RUST.  It's also kind of a dumb thing to do.  Bestest idea is  frequently go back with an oily rag and wipe down the treasure.  Your treasures will thank you.

CC,

I don’t know either but my customers always seem to want original boxes and papers, so I try to get them when possible. I especially like the Ruger gray plastic boxes as they are perfect for shipping with a sheet of bubble wrap if not at least in the plastic bag or they will rub a spot on the frame.

Yep.  Know what you mean Barleycorn.  Folks want the factory boxes.  Noticed a while back, OEM USFA boxes were drawing stupid money.  And there was a fella who sourced reproduction shipping sleeves for USFA.  Collectors went gaga.  I personally went Gag.  Normally, the included "Papers" from the manufacturer are useless drivel.  Don't shoot yourself inna foot sort of drivel.  Don't even tell ya how to take it apart.  SO:

A used handgun is a used handgun.  A used handgun in an OEM Box is still just a used handgun.  An Old Colt is just an Old Colt.  An Old Colt inna box is still just an Old Colt.  Old, greasy, oily, crinkly papers are just useless old greasy, oily, crinkly papers.  Oh, forgot.  Unless there is significant provenance, it's just an old used handgun (to me).

OK.  It's Friday Morning.  It's Cold and Wet outside and I'm bored.  I get cranky when I'm Bored and it's cold and wet outside (Five more Months).

I keep the handgun boxes but store the handguns in my safe. I keep the original paperwork with the box. 

Long guns: I keep the box if I have a place to put it. If not, in the trash it goes unless I think I may need to ship it somewhere. 

I was surprised to find that some people apparently toss the original box at the gun shop when they buy the gun.  One day I was in one of the local gun shops and at the front of the shop was a bin full of factory handgun boxes.  I made a deal and bought the bin full of pistol boxes and took them to a gun show where my brother and I had rented a table.  I sold a bunch of those boxes.  I know one gentleman was very happy to get a box for the Star pistol he had.

I keep the original boxes but I don't keep the guns in them. In case I sell one I have the original box and that seems to matter to lots of folks.

I keep Boxes for everything .

Boxes can bring a premium by themselves .

And Can put a collector gun over the top on prices .   

Archived