SASS Wire Forum

MA WTB: inexpensive sass setup

The Barman

Hi,

I want to try sass next year, not comfortable borrowing.

Anybody retiring with low price (low quality/well-used gear) - I intend to do my own gunsmithing, action work,.replace components, whatever.

Prefer 38/357 for pistols and rifle,sxs with external hammers. 

I have mild preference for bird's head grips

Also considering a used fastdraw gun.

10 hours ago, Dallas McPewPew said:

Doc Dukes has some very reasonably priced gear up for sale on the wire right now, it looks like.

16" barrel though, don't think the rifle will hold 10.

If you've not shot Cowboy Action prior........ no matter how uncomfortable......try before you buy.

Attend a local club match, and I'm sure the cowboys and cowgirls there will you try their equipment. 

You might need to haunt your local gun stores.  I have know idea which revolvers are MA compliant or not, or on an "approved list" or not.

Can your FFL accept rifles without safeties?  Or pistols without a safety mechanism?  Shotguns with the auto-safety disabled?

I have no idea.

You also should attend local matches first.  Shooters will be glad to show you their equipment.  
They may have items for sale... and this way you'll be able to find out what guns suit you, or what you definitely don't want.

Biggest issue you will have is Massachusetts. The only SAA revolvers that can be sold new in MA are a few models of Ruger New Model Vaquero.  Anything else must be in the state before 1998 and personally transfered to you. We are not allowed to buy Uberti, Pietta, Colt etc. And finding used SAA revolvers here in MA is hard.

Ma is a tough place to live to play cowboy.....

I don't know what you consider cheap, but I have  pair of Uberti Stallion 3.5 in barrel with birds head grips.  $800.00 +shipping. .38s.

Stainless Rossi .357 before safety.  $500.00 +shipping.  Marlin Cowboy Comp, 38 $900.00 +shipping.

Welcome to the game, Barman!

As others have pointed out, your options here are a bit limited.  Before we get into it, I strongly second the recommendations others have made about going to some shoots and trying others' guns before buying.  

I believe that your only new cartridge revolver option is New Vaqueros.  There may be a few used gun options, but rather than dwell on those oddities, I'd concentrate on some shoots first.  Here is a link to the MA List for approved revolvers:

https://www.mass.gov/doc/approved-firearms-roster-6/download

MA does not impose restrictions on lever action rifles or rifle safety designs; just make sure that the rifle you buy fits you well, and falls within the permissible style for the class you wish to shoot.

Go shoot!!!

LL

On 11/8/2019 at 9:52 PM, Rancho Roy said:

Biggest issue you will have is Massachusetts. The only SAA revolvers that can be sold new in MA are a few models of Ruger New Model Vaquero.  Anything else must be in the state before 1998 and personally transfered to you. We are not allowed to buy Uberti, Pietta, Colt etc. And finding used SAA revolvers here in MA is hard.

Ma is a tough place to live to play cowboy.....

Well, I've decided to go with black powder first, We'll see how Frontiersman works out for me. I had no problem getting a pair of used percussion mismatached Piettas that I'll have to put some work into, and a coach gun which I'll try with full brass.. If that ends up working out adequately, I'll buy appropriate holsters &c.

Not sure what to get for a rifle, is all.

Although I'm still looking for the above 'go fast' guns, for my first experiences out, trying something radically different is my goal.

On 11/9/2019 at 2:24 PM, Blackie Lawless said:

Where in MA are you located? Perhaps I can help guide you to some local clubs where you can see and feel different things before you pay out any $

I'm in Milford. I plan on going up and introducing myself to the Harvard Ghost Riders at some point. I'm still pulling my gaff together.

If interested, Lincoln County Lawmen have a shoot on Nov. 24.  located at Pine Tree Gun Club Balcom rd. Folster R.I. check out their web site lincolncountylawmen.club

Instead of spending $250 or more for a very used sxs, or $400+ for a Stoeger or Baikal, you can shoot a single barrel.  Sass rules allow a single barrel to have an ejector.  Frontiersman stages usually run in the 35+ second times, so a single would give you about a second between shots so the air could clear.  A clean single will likely run $125 or less.  

You can always get a sxs later and keep the single as a backup.

Archived