SASS Wire Forum

Changing the Twenty dollar bill

Raylan

If they are going to change the Twenty dollar bill to one featuring Harriet Tubman then they should have used this design.

harriettubmantwenty1.jpg

I’ll bet it spends just like the old one did.

No on asked me...I would have told them to leave the bill alone. This article claims there was a survey regarding a new $20 bill during the Obama administration under Jack Wey, the Treasury Secretary. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/22/harriet-tubman-20-bill-no-longer-coming-in-2020.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/us/harriet-tubman-bill.html

Mr Mnuchin needs to be shown the door in this regard. 

>In a statement, Shaheen said “this delay sends an unmistakable message to women and girls, and communities of color, who were promised they’d see Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill.”<

"Just vote Democrat, and we'll do it."

As an avid numismatist, I say let's change it.  Throughout our country's short history, we have periodically changed the designs of our coins and paper currency.  In the early days, we never put an actual person on our money because the founders believed that resembled monarchy.  They almost always had an artist's rendition of "liberty" in the form of a woman.  This didn't change until 1909 when Lincoln was used on the cent for the first time, in honor of his birthday.  It was *supposed* to be temporary -- but 110 years later he is still on the cent (although the reverse design has changed a few times).  In any event, it set a precedent that was repeated when Washington was added to the quarter in 1932, and slowly *ALL* our coinage was changed to reflect the likeness of a real person, grossly departing from the original intent.  Paper currency has undergone a similar change, and now *ALL* paper currency also bears images of real people.

Coins used to change designs about every 20 years.  Paper currency has tended to go longer periods of time between changes.  But it's a well-established fact that we can and DO change the appearance of our money, and who is depicted on it.  Furthermore, we have well exceeded the average, and another change is long overdue.  

So if a change is long overdue, why not Harriet Tubman?  

7 hours ago, Church Key, SASS # 33713 said:

Then the old blues song: "

Dead Presidents" becomes obsolete.

That song has been wrong for a while already.  Ben Franklin was never president.  Salmon P Chase is also on $10k bills that never circulate.  He was probably president of a bank somewhere, so technically he may be a dead president. 

When I played with a bar band, one of our beer-giveaway games was "Dead Presidents".

I'd ask which dead president was on the $100, and yank the crowd's chain for awhile over Ben Franklin.
The best part was giving away free beer chits.

On 11/7/2019 at 4:24 PM, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Coins used to change designs about every 20 years.  Paper currency has tended to go longer periods of time between changes.  But it's a well-established fact that we can and DO change the appearance of our money, and who is depicted on it.  Furthermore, we have well exceeded the average, and another change is long overdue.  

The Sacawagea and Presidential Dollar coins have probably skewed this figure a bit.

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

They're going to change my $20 bill?

Then I'd like a ten, a five, and five ones, please.

GJ

I’d like a ten and 3 fives.

Fine.  Harriet Tubman is an American hero(ine).  Leave the $20 bill alone and put her on a $1 coin.  Don't even try to tell me it didn't work the last time.  America needs to get hip to what works in every civilized country in the world.  I lived in London for a short while & the 1# coin was extremely useful.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I’d like a ten and 3 fives.

Yep, in fact, let's change a bunch of 'em!

Howdy,

This country is using plastic cards. 

A new card reader in most places. 

Cash may be on the way out.

50 % plastic at one local place.

And they have both college kids and retirees.

I just hope Santa brings them another card reader or three.

And not big items, Im talking eggs and coffee.

Best

CR

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

I lived in London for a short while & the 1# coin was extremely useful.

Do vending machines in England except one pound coins?

In my opinion, the reason dollar coins and 50 cent pieces are not used in this country is because vending machines will not accept them.

5 minutes ago, Alpo said:

In my opinion, the reason dollar coins and 50 cent pieces are not used in this country is because vending machines will not accept them.

In Canada, we have the $1 and $2 coins and the vending machines accept them.  Our paper money is now  plastic bills.  Plastic bills keep their body and last a lot longer. A worn out plastic bill doesn't  feel like a piece of  limp tissue paper.  It was a good move to go to $1, & $2  coins and plastic paper money

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Yes, they do.  We sent men to the moon.  Adapting our vending machines should not be that difficult.

Yes, it shouldn't. BUT (notice that was a big but) they don't do it.

The only reason people use coins is for coin machines. Back when I was working, I would buy my breakfast or my lunch with paper, and put the coins in my pocket. In the evening they went in my coin roller. The only time I used coins was in the Coke machine at work. People throw pennies away, instead of spending them. Because Coke machines won't take them. They don't use dollars or halves, because Coke machines won't take them. Unless and until they do make coin machines that take coin larger than a quarter, people will not use them.

It's a Catch-22.

People don't carry big coinage because coin machines will not accept it.

Coin machine makers will not produce machines that will take big coinage because no one uses it.

They adapted coin machines to accept paper dollars because everyone has paper dollars.

Guess I'm gonna be the grumpy ole guy that asks.

Are they changing the $20 because it REALLY needs changed or is this just another BS thing like taking down statues  and such to rewrite history and be stylish? If there is a VALID reason, then ok. If otherwise I'd prefer it be left alone.

4 hours ago, Doc X said:

Guess I'm gonna be the grumpy ole guy that asks.

Are they changing the $20 because it REALLY needs changed or is this just another BS thing like taking down statues  and such to rewrite history and be stylish? If there is a VALID reason, then ok. If otherwise I'd prefer it be left alone.

The process was begun in the Obama administration for two basic reasons: Jackson has fallen into disfavor with some of that ilk, largely because of his role in the Creek Indian wars, etc., and the admin also wanted a woman and an African-American on a bill. 

President Trump likes Jackson especially and doesn't want to see the change, however the process is under way but takes years.

My own attitude has been that I don't like the change, but if it happens, Tubman is a good choice because, as I said above, she was a staunch Republican, a strongly devout Christian, and, in fact, she always went armed after she escaped slavery. She was a brave lady.

In fact, when this was announced a few years ago, I got some real interesting looks from lefty friends when I pointed out those things!

1 minute ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

The process was begun in the Obama administration for two basic reasons: Jackson has fallen into disfavor with some of that ilk, largely because of his role in the Creek Indian wars, etc., and the admin also wanted a woman and an African-American on a bill. 

President Trump likes Jackson especially and doesn't want to see the change, however the process is under way but takes years.

My own attitude has been that I don't like the change, but if it happens, Tubman is a good choice because, as I said above, she was a staunch Republican, a strongly devout Christian, and, in fact, she always went armed after she escaped slavery. She was a brave lady.

Figures, Obama the "gift" that keeps on giving. And to be clear, I have NO issue with Tubman. I agree with you 100% about her. I just think there's a better way to honor her without removing another part of US history from view.

1 hour ago, Doc X said:

Figures, Obama the "gift" that keeps on giving. And to be clear, I have NO issue with Tubman. I agree with you 100% about her. I just think there's a better way to honor her without removing another part of US history from view.

Jackson’s been on there for a long time maybe it’s time for another part of U.S. history to be added.

I used to work in downtown Baltimore and took the Metro train from the suburbs to downtown.  At the station they did have machines that would take dollar coins for ticket purchases.  And it was really fun to put a $20 bill in the ticket machine and get a shower of $1 coins as change.    I am well known in VFWs and American Legions as the guy who spends the Golden Dollar coins. 

Archived