SASS Wire Forum

California

People live where they live for a variety of reasons.  I was born in AZ and have chosen to stay.  My siblings left AZ in search of careers and succeeded in other states.   I believe that everyone understands once you set your roots down, families begin and traditions follow.  Every state in the west has changed, both for better and worse.  AZ has water issues because so many want to green it up just as it was where they came from.  In almost all cases, the general populace has very little influence on that change for the following reason.  Change is normally voter based, apathy on the part of the voters has hurt the once norms of all societies and  communities.  I urge all peoples to vote informed, be passionate and educated.  All too often those with conservative values do not allow themselves to be heard. Get involved wherever your home is, impact change and embrace your family wherever you call home. Many from CA have left while many have chose to stay, last time I checked we are all free to live where we choose.  God speed to those dedicated individuals in those extreme leftist states that are fighting the fight.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

...Many from CA have left while many have chose to stay, last time I checked we are all free to live where we choose.  God speed to those dedicated individuals in those extreme leftist states that are fighting the fight.

Although I started this thread, I may not reply to many posts. I appreciate most of them as they do not blame us who are still here.

I do not choose to stay. Hubby does, I love him, and understand his reasons. He has been disabled and not shot SASS since 2005. He feels that moving would be a hardship he could not bear. I see and hear his pain. He works very hard despite this and has done so much to make our home his nirvana. He has done so much to make me happy too.

Hashknife, I appreciate your comment and choose to focus on the second sentence I quoted.

15 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Although I started this thread, I may not reply to many posts. I appreciate most of them as they do not blame us who are still here.

I do not choose to stay. Hubby does, I love him, and understand his reasons. He has been disabled and not shot SASS since 2005. He feels that moving would be a hardship he could not bear. I see and hear his pain. He works very hard despite this and has done so much to make our home his nirvana. He has done so much to make me happy too.

Hashknife, I appreciate your comment and choose to focus on the second sentence I quoted.

Prayers up for you and your hubby. 

At just 16 on my first trip to California but the one impression I got from the visit was that nobody was a native of California.  Upon introduction,  most folks would add, "I'm from Oklahoma.", or Japan or Pennsylvania or, or, or.  My first cousins were born there but everyone I met was a transplant.  

Here is why people rag on California.  I understand lots of good people, but California government and activist judges lead the country in screwing the working, law abiding citizens in favor of illegal immigrants, criminals and homeless by taking from the producers to give to those that chose not to.  It becomes more and more attractive to break the laws every day....more now than ever the working, honest man or woman is the sucker.  What scares me is other states follow California’s lead.  My only hope is that California implodes before everyone else can copy it.  

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-mental-health-migrants-separated-border-mexico-california

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

At just 16 on my first trip to California but the one impression I got from the visit was that nobody was a native of California.  Upon introduction,  most folks would add, "I'm from Oklahoma.", or Japan or Pennsylvania or, or, or.  My first cousins were born there but everyone I met was a transplant.  

I've posted often here ~ in the year 2000 I read an article that stated that at that time only one of every eleven adults in the state was a native.  

I was one of those, although largely raised in Texas.  Left California at age seven and returned my junior year in high school.  Even then the state had radically changed.  Texas had been quite - and comfortably - conservative.  Arrived at school without socks?  Needed a shave?  Go home and come back when whatever trespass has been corrected, and a fail for every class you missed!  I recall being shocked my first day of school in Hayward, California.  No discipline, kids dressed like bums or hippies, and I almost fell outta my chair in history class when the kid next to me offered me a joint. 

After a few months I transferred to Castlemont High, in Oakland.  School used to make national news for race riots.  And worse.  I've been amazed that I survived the experience.

Anyway, the state has been on a downhill slide ever since.  

Ask Southerners who infests their states with their ways...it ain’t Californians. 

Ask the people of Texas who’s mucking things up in Austin and turning their state Red, I mean Blue...It ain’t Californians.

Regarding “transplants”. This whole country is made up of transplants!

From the first colonists until now. This is America, one can go and live were they please. Myself, I have lived in 10 different states. I have “transplanted” to California 4 different times. This will be my last time. 

When I retire we will be leaving this state...again. I am not sure where I will go but you can bet I will steer clear of the narrow-minded pinhead zones of the US. You know, those places where people see one thing about you and judge you on that one thing...like a license plate...

With the exception of the major coastal cities, I really like it it here. Born and raised. But if the opportunity arose, I would leave it behind without regret.And it would because of the politicians that the major population centers keep foisting off on us. If you do not in some way support their power grabbing agenda you are at best ignored, otherwise they tear you down, make you an outcast.  The state is wonderful, it just currently has a nasty infection.

California is just the most visible example of the same things that are happening in Illinois, the East Coast states from Massachusetts to Virginia and to a lesser degree, Nevada, Oregon, Washington & Vermont.

I vote in every election, I've spoken in front of a legislative committee here CT and it is all a waste of time.  A politician's goal is to get re-elected and sometimes use that to achieve an even higher office.  They are NOT going to support a politically incorrect minority, which is what gun owners are in the states I mentioned above.

Allie, I wish we could have stayed and fought the good fight, like you and your hubby, as well as others continue to do.  Unfortunately, our futures were at stake so we had to follow the jobs.  We still come visit and stay in touch with family and friends, as well as support organizations and persons who continue the fight.  I hope and pray some day things will turn around and we can come back to stay in the place we were born and raised.  Until then, we must support from afar.

My dad was from KY, mom from PA.  One of my brothers was born in OH, the other two and myself were born here.  Dad decided to stay in CA when he was discharged at Camp Pendleton in 1947.

My Confirmation sponsor was a 6th or 7th generation Californio (not Californian).  

Both Hubby and I were born in CA. I have no relatives remaining here. His mother is 96 and still lives here. My only relatives that I am in contact with are in So. IL. I wouldn't want to live there either. I don't want to live anywhere there are tornadoes or hurricanes. Due to Hubby's neuropathy, he doesn't want to live anywhere it is too cold. Our choices are limited.

Hubby continues to make improvements. Last week he completed a "wrought iron" electric gate that he made from scratch, welding all of the pieces together. He trenched to put in electric down there. He has also put in a fire fighting set up. It pumps from the pool to sprinklers around the house. Today a fellow from a solar company is coming to give an estimate on a system sufficiently large to heat the pool.

It gets harder and harder to think about leaving with all of the work he's done here.

One of our neighbors just moved to So. Idaho. He said the weather there should be similar to here. Ha! He called last week. It had already snowed and was down to 9 degrees. They have very few trees. We practically live in a clearing in a forest. I like trees.  We rarely get snow and it usually melts by afternoon.  Hubby did tell the former neighbor he would consider moving when we run out of split wood. We have at least a two-year supply and trees are always going down.

That is where we are now.

I am an Idaho native.
I assure you, it is MUCH colder than here.

Boise is just Sacramento, but without the glitter.
Bad air quality (same as ours), horrid traffic, expensive housing, bums, drugs, crime, and the longest running Democrat mayor in Boise history.
I left at age 17, been back a few times to marvel at how AWFUL it got, and would never live in Boise again.
They Californicated the town.

There are wonderful places away from Boise, but it DOES get cold.
McCall is one of the cleanest air zones in the country... and 10+ feet of snow every year.
Winter comes early, stays late.

We have looked at over 100 properties in NV and AZ so far.
We cannot find anything under $600k, most have HOA, CC&R and the nazis that run them.
Forty Rod found a great place in Prescott Valley, but we have never turned up anything close.

Consider being 70+ years old and starting a new mortgage.
Consider the huge increase in property taxes you will pay.
New doctors, new businesses, new haunts, new friends, new bank, etc etc.
Consider how many years you have left to live.

As a "transplant from Detroit,Mi., 1945", I grew up in SoCal [San Bernardino] lived there 45 years and moved north to Siskiyou County, just south of the Oregon border. That portion of California is beautiful, under represented and conservation country. We left in 2016 to be with family in SoCal, but couldn't afford to live in SoCal, so we moved to Pahrump, Nevada. A four hour drive to family and friends. My wife passed away in 2018, so she never got to see all that Nevada has to offer. I am still a "Californio", but can't afford to live there. Politics and taxation keep me from "going home".

Allie, hang in there. Sounds like your wood stove will be able to handle it.

14 minutes ago, Berdookid said:

As a "transplant from Detroit,Mi., 1945", I grew up in SoCal [San Bernardino] lived there 45 years and moved north to Siskiyou County, just south of the Oregon border. That portion of California is beautiful, under represented and conservation country. We left in 2016 to be with family in SoCal, but couldn't afford to live in SoCal, so we moved to Pahrump, Nevada. A four hour drive to family and friends. My wife passed away in 2018, so she never got to see all that Nevada has to offer. I am still a "Californio", but can't afford to live there. Politics and taxation keep me from "going home".

Allie, hang in there. Sounds like your wood stove will be able to handle it.

Berdoo, did that put you up around Dorris and Macdoel...?   :)

Allie Mo, I understand how you feel.  I too am a second generation Californian on my Mom's side.  I was born and raised on the SAC base in the Central Valley my Dad, the original Arkie Lee, retired out of.  My fondest memories growing up are hunting and fishing the Motherload region of the Sierra Nevada.  I got married during Gov. Moonbeam's first term in office and decided to move my new family to the Pacific Northwest.  At the time even the D's had politicians such as Scoop Jackson and Warren Magnuson that would be considered conservative by today's standards.

It has saddened me over the years to see how my home state has deteriorated as I have returned at the passing of family members.  This deterioration seemed to become faster after the closing of the airbase in my hometown.  The family I have left in Cali are my sister and my niece's new family who are planning an exit strategy. 

Please don't consider this as rubbing salt into your wounds, but I also have to agree with Sixgun Sheridan.  Both of my daughter's families and I are currently planning exit strategies leaving the state we love.  I will no longer be able to live here when I retire due to the political and financial constraints folks from other states have voted in since they moved here.

Hi Arkie!

Back "in the day" the Ds were different. IMO, Moonbeam's first term and his appointment of Rose Bird started the change here.

We currently live in the Mother load region of CA, east of HWY 49, near Jackson and Sutter Creek. It is very pretty.

Regards,

Allie

Hardpan:

No, Yreka. But I herded cattle in that area a time or two. Lived there 26 years; worked cattle in my spare time and worked as a wrangler at "R" Ranch in Hornbrook, Ca. Usual cattle drives were local in Shasta/Little Shasta Valley, while others were in Copco Lake area and north to the Oregon border. A few drives in Oregon for spring grazing and winter gathering; a few drives to load cattle for market.

My wife passed away in August of 2018 after being here for a short time [Feb. 2016], so horses had to be "re-homed" and life style changed a bunch. I miss it, but not enough to go back to California [age: 81; taxes and political climate!]

Wonderful experience though.

On 11/9/2019 at 9:51 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Both Hubby and I were born in CA. I have no relatives remaining here. His mother is 96 and still lives here. My only relatives that I am in contact with are in So. IL. I wouldn't want to live there either. I don't want to live anywhere there are tornadoes or hurricanes. Due to Hubby's neuropathy, he doesn't want to live anywhere it is too cold. Our choices are limited.

Hubby continues to make improvements. Last week he completed a "wrought iron" electric gate that he made from scratch, welding all of the pieces together. He trenched to put in electric down there. He has also put in a fire fighting set up. It pumps from the pool to sprinklers around the house. Today a fellow from a solar company is coming to give an estimate on a system sufficiently large to heat the pool.

It gets harder and harder to think about leaving with all of the work he's done here.

One of our neighbors just moved to So. Idaho. He said the weather there should be similar to here. Ha! He called last week. It had already snowed and was down to 9 degrees. They have very few trees. We practically live in a clearing in a forest. I like trees.  We rarely get snow and it usually melts by afternoon.  Hubby did tell the former neighbor he would consider moving when we run out of split wood. We have at least a two-year supply and trees are always going down.

That is where we are now.

Allie,

I hope you have a standby generator!  My wife's brother & his wife live near Diamond Springs & they were without power for 5 days during the last red flag blackout.  He doesn't have a generator large enough to start & run their 3HP well pump.  At least he has a wood stove for heat. 

Diamond Springs is about 25 miles from us. We were without power too. We have three generators. Last year we bought a propane Generac to replace a noisy one. I have a Honda 5000 for my trailer. It will run the house when we don't need AC. So we are set.

Does your brother-in-law shoot? There is a range about 10 miles from Diamond Springs. I shoot CAS there sometimes.

I love California weather. I spent the morning in shorts and a tee shirt detailing my motorcycle then I took a nice ride down Pacific Coast Highway. Then I put my saddlebags on and took my Glocks to the range. Beautiful day! 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I love California weather. I spent the morning in shorts and a tee shirt detailing my motorcycle then I took nice ride down Pacific Coast Highway. Then I put my saddlebags on and took my Glocks to the range. Beautiful day! 

So, those training wheels really are helping then.  :P

OLG 

On 11/10/2019 at 8:33 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Back "in the day" the Ds were different.

Sure were.  Can you imagine any of them saying something like this now:

Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms.... The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be always possible. (Hubert H. Humphrey)

1959 Argosy interview.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:25 AM, Chantry said:

California is just the most visible example of the same things that are happening in Illinois, the East Coast states from Massachusetts to Virginia and to a lesser degree, Nevada, Oregon, Washington & Vermont.

I vote in every election, I've spoken in front of a legislative committee here CT and it is all a waste of time.  A politician's goal is to get re-elected and sometimes use that to achieve an even higher office.  They are NOT going to support a politically incorrect minority, which is what gun owners are in the states I mentioned above.

California is a great example of what happened to Venezuela.....and for the same reasons.

You haven't experienced frustration until you've tried to buy ammunition in california*.  At best, a minor annoyance - takes a while (more than the 2 - 3 minutes the politics claim) IF you have everything in order.

If you don't... don't bother to try.

A lifelong friend of my son's tried to buy a box of .22 shells a few weeks ago.  He lives with his dad in the house he grew up on, out in the country.  Wanted to shoot the old rifle that had been handed down for a few generations.

Well... although he grew up in that house, he had not bought a gun within the past five years and was therefor not in the state's database.  Denied.  But he had the option of paying a $19 fee, waiting several days for the "non-background check" (they call it an eligibility check), and then being able to buy the box of .22 shells.  Mind you... this is a ONE TIME ONLY process.  He'll have to repeat the very next time he wants a box of .22 shells.  OR pay to register a firearm that he already owns.

By the way - the young man was not in a position to buy any firearms the past few years... he was serving on the USS Hartford, a Los Angeles class attack sub.  Discharged about Christmas time last year.  Interestingly, if he had still been on active duty status, with his military ID he would STILL have to do the $19-and-wait thing.  :angry:

What a deal, Emperor N~!  We all feel SO much safer now!  party.gif

Way past shooting itself in the foot....pretty sure Cali has no feet left to shoot.  Again, not directed at the fine folks on here, just another leadership example.  The folks I visit there wish it weren’t so and either are trying to move out or can’t because of family...hell they ask me to bring them ammo down. 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/truckers-sue-california-say-new-gig-economy-law-would-kill-70000-jobs

I've done one California earthquake and 12 Florida Hurricanes.   Before I would do another earthquake I would do a Cat 4 Hurricane on the beach in a lawn chair.  

California is not as great as it was - in fact the Golden State is rather tarnished... However, what God has provided - weather and geography is the extent of what is still great. Speaking on the SoCal front (of which I visit family and friends every year) - it is over-crowded, over-built, over-regulated, suffer the loss of Constitutional freedoms, and the political climate is horrible. Still a nice place to visit though, but to live? well, do what you need to do to be happy. That's all I'll say. 

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Say what you will but these are pretty decent numbers. Sometimes they do outweigh the other crap. Especially when I get to see the smile and happiness on my wife’s face when she is watching my grandson do his marching band competitions in this beautiful weather. She is finally close to her grandson. He is 14 years old. I wanted her to be near him for at least part of his childhood. All the other crap and all y’all’s b****ing about California  do not matter and should not matter. 

Just being honest. 

760F1D7A-E6D4-4950-BEB8-3F7E646B0DF2.thumb.png.19486bb35272eadf725a390261a25bdc.png

36 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Say what you will but these are pretty decent numbers. Sometimes they do outweigh the other crap. Especially when I get to see the smile and happiness on my wife’s face when she is watching my grandson do his marching band competitions in this beautiful weather. She is finally close to her grandson. He is 14 years old. I wanted her to be near him for at least part of his childhood. All the other crap and all y’all’s b****ing about California  do not matter and should not matter. 

Just being honest. 

760F1D7A-E6D4-4950-BEB8-3F7E646B0DF2.thumb.png.19486bb35272eadf725a390261a25bdc.png

Been there - done that (lived there for 34 years). Of course for newly planted folks in California I agree it's a neat thing. ;) 

23 minutes ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

Been there - done that (lived there for 34 years). Of course for newly planted folks in California I agree it's a neat thing. ;) 

You can find that in Florida and the Carolina’s with the same beauty, lower cost of living and firearms freedom without the California attitude 

Archived