SASS Wire Forum

California

It isn't all bad (excluding the elected officials, illegals, and homeless) IMO.

I love where we live. The scenery and people are wonderful. We are not in a liberal county.

It saddens me that most of the comments here on the Wire and FB are derogatory.  Please do not tell us how bad things are here without offering some constructive criticism.  We know it is bad here for many reasons.

Please consider those of us who are still here as people fighting the GOOD fight or unable to leave.

Please stop rubbing salt in our wounds

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^^^ yep to that.

I have a sister and other relatives there. My brother-in-law works for the FBI so I hear a lot of stories ..........

But I also know it is some of the best cow country, best hunting and best scenery around........

I'm sympathetic and know that there are millions of great people with positive values that live in California. I have friends that live there. But I think many of us feel like California and New York politics (and yes both of them have areas of the state that are conservative - unfortunately they are not the political majority) are poisoning the rest of the country. However you are right that we shouldn't take it out on the good folks. I wish I could believe that California could be turned around. It must be very tough to be putting on the good fight in California. A friend of mine, Tony Simon, fights hard for gun rights in New Jersey. I don't know how he has the energy and positive attitude to keep it up. 2A is for everyone in every state, and we can't abandon those who are behind enemy lines. Maybe that's not fair to call it "behind enemy lines" that's just how it seems.

The trick to living in CA is being just enough ahead of most other folks when the music stops.
If you are able to withstand more pain than the general public, you are ahead of the game.

If the sheep repeal the Prop13 commercial property tax protections, the CA economy will implode.
This means huge tax increases, which means huge rent increases, which means huge price increases, which means huge loss of customers, which means empty retail spaces and apartments.

As the business owners lose their income, they will also lose their homes.  This is called an "economic death spiral."
This is when the music stops... be sure you have a chair.

San Diego did this to me... jumped my property taxes up to $16,600 per year and sent me a bill for $24,000 payable in 60 days or lose the property.
It took me two full years to fight and win this battle and get my money refunded.
They had $24,000 interest-free for 2 years, and sent it back as a "tax refund" so I have to pay income taxes on my own money.

Welcome to California.
Death by taxation.

It's just amazing that for us baby boomers growing up in Ca. in the 50's, 60's, it was a big deal being a Californian.  Now it's an embarrassment. I do still enjoy living here with all my grandkids nearby and our little 3 acres with our animals. 

Prop 13 - for those who do not know, this law imposed realistic limits on formerly runaway property tax increases.  

I was living in San Francisco when it passed.  Many older people who lived in their own homes, fully paid for, were forced to sell and move away because they could not afford the rampant tax increases.

Opposition to the proposition argued that there would be terrible budget cuts if it passed.  It did; the very next morning city officials padlocked the gates to the playground next door to my apartment building.  "Must punish the people!"  <_<

50 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I love where we live. The scenery and people are wonderful. We are not in a liberal county.

It saddens me that most of the comments here on the Wire and FB are derogatory.  Please do not tell us how bad things are here without offering some constructive criticism.  We know it is bad here for many reasons.

Please consider those of us who are still here as people fighting the GOOD fight or unable to leave.

Allie, no one is being derogatory towards the normal people in CA. They are making fun of the govt., policies, and celebrities there. You've got to admit they spew crazy talk. 

14 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Allie, no one is being derogatory towards the normal people in CA. They are making fun of the govt., policies, and celebrities there. You've got to admit they spew crazy talk. 

As one of the "normal people", I would agree with you - with the exception of those who admonish us for not "fighting harder" or wanting to leave.  :mellow:

Life's too short to fight all the time. 30 years ago I Iived in Maryland, I got out of there and found a place that was more compatible with my way of thinking. I could care less if people talk smack about Maryland, it's not my idea of an ideal environment for shooters and outdoorsmen. 

Many people have never lived anywhere except the state they were raised, they have no idea there may be a better place to live. 

There are many things about California I like. We lived there until I was 7. Still have relatives there in Concord and Moro Bay. Had some great times there at Ft. Ord and wine country vacations decades later. 
The state government is hideously incompetent of course. I can only hope things change for the better for the sake of my friends and family in the future. :(

I have lived all over the USA. I have moved to California 4 different times and left 3. For next 3 or so years it will be my home. I live in Orange County and work near LAX, L.A. Airport. I work for the transit agency in LA. I am a public employee and I see and hear a lot of ridiculous things.
I also work and live amongst some of the best people I have ever known in my many years in California. I have made many friends here, though most have left or moved on. I have always been welcomed here, even by people that are nothing like me. They welcomed me because they do not let one aspect of a person be the only thing that defines a person. I try to do the same, sometimes that is very hard but I try. 
California is the one place that I can honestly say that I have felt welcomed. I cannot say that about the other places I have lived as an adult. I just spent 5 years in a state where I literally had no friends. It wasn’t for a lack of trying on my part. Because I moved there from California I was apparently tainted and not worthy. 
I felt the same when I moved to the Southeast. I did have a few friends there but I do believe it was because I owned two boats and was generous in sharing them with my neighbors. 
California has many many faults. It also has many many pluses and blessings. 

There are many places in this country that are beautiful with lots of friendly people. California is one of those places. You just have to pull the veil aside and look. 
Sure it costs a lot to live here and traffic sux but if you get hurt, you fall down or have a problem people jump in and help and they don’t look to see what bumper sticker is on your car or ask you your politics are when they do. They are just helping a fellow human being. 
It’s really too bad everyone can’t be that way  

Sure, we b**** and complain and fight city hall, but that’s life here. If you let it get you down you need to stand up and pull that veil aside and look at what’s really beautiful and special about California. There are a lot of wonderful places here with lots of wonderful people. Just don’t let the veil block your vision for too long or it will taunt you. 
God bless America!

I had the pleasure of living in San Diego from 1975 through 1979.  I hunted in the mountains, fished in the lakes and streams, went to gun shows at the Masonic Lodge and bought a shotgun at Woolworths.  I had a lot of good neighbors and think the town of Julian is close to paradise.  

Even then you could see problems, mostly because there were too many people who voted for a living instead of working for a living. 

When I am dictator-for-life that will change!

In the mean time,  a lot of good friends of mine still live in Southern California.  I haven't seen them for years, but remember them and their humor and fellowship fondly.  I do wish all our California pards the very best, and hope that you live well and prosper.

Duffield

It's a beautiful country, but California is the most beautiful state in it. I speak as a Washingtonian, who only lived in Cal for a year in 1966-67 but who has visited countless times.

I remember wandering around Pasadena in the late '70s on business, in the area of the Huntington Library and thinking that a few decades earlier this area must have been Paradise on earth.

I love the East Bay, the hills, the Eucalyptus groves, Tilden Regional Park, Mount Diablo, on and on. The gold country, from Colona on down to Jackson, in the Sierra foothills.

My late uncle owned a 'ranch' in Sonoma County, about 15 miles east of Healdsburg, up the Pena Creek drainage. Very rugged; oaks and buckeyes in the uplands, redwoods in the draws-- maybe the best country I've ever seen.

On 11/6/2019 at 6:09 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Allie, I actively participated in constructive actions for the entire 40 years that I lived in California.  I truly feel that those actions were a waste of my time and effort. I'm sorry that so many of your fellow Californians don't seem to care enough to simply write a letter (Not punching a button or adding your name to a list of protestors.  Those DO NOT work.)  I couldn't even get my closest gun owning friends to write a letter to the editor or to their elected officials, many would not even spend the price of a meal for two to join the NRA, and virtually none would visit a politician's office to express their views, yet many would call me daily and gripe about the state going to hell.  I finally gave up and ran for my life over five years ago.

I lost a lot of friends when I refused to listen to their complaints any more if they didn't do anything to help them selves.

I feel sorry for those of you who are trapped for whatever reason, even if you like scenery and the people are wonderful.  That doesn't offset your loss of rights, freedoms, money, and quality of life.

As someone who grew up in California in the 70’s it has many great memories.  My father lived in Orange County which is a nice place to live if you can afford it.  IMHO the juice is no longer worth the squeeze.  Traffic, cost of living, gun laws all are a major deterrent to live there.  Colorado is quickly going the same direction and I am going to be leaving it as well.  I will miss the weather, but I won’t miss the rest.    

Alley, it saddens me you are saddened. It truly does. California’s liberalism when pointed out is justified. I don’t question the character or patriotism of Californians, it’s California’s misguided politics that make California a laughing stock to the rest of the nation.  Prop 47. Misdemeanor for stealing anything under $975.  Charging for plastic bags. Now California has the highest theft rate in the nation. Thieves walk into a store, walk out with stolen goods and blend in with honest shoppers because of no plastic bags. Prop 47 was voted into law by Californians!  Good, kindhearted people?  Yes. But so misguided.  Hard not to laugh. That’s coming from a former Californian and a proud Baptist. I Have a lot to laugh at myself about. 

39 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:
3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Allie, I actively participated in constructive actions for the entire 40 years that I lived in California.  I truly feel that those actions were a waste of my time and effort. I'm sorry that so many of your fellow Californians don't seem to care enough to simply write a letter (Not punching a button or adding your name to a list of protestors.  Those DO NOT work.)  I couldn't even get my closest gun owning friends to write a letter to the editor or to their elected officials, many would not even spend the price of a meal for two to join the NRA, and virtually none would visit a politician's off ice to express their views, yet many would call me daily anf gripe about the state going to hell.  I

Forty's comment strikes a note that is not limited to California. Nothing gripes me more than people of our generation constantly complaining about the way things are going, constantly preaching to their own choir, shaking their canes and their fists--- and doing nothing. Never showing up to council meetings. Never writing intelligent letters to officials, newspapers, on and on. Not voting!-- Futility and ineffectuality!

I just wrote a 3-page detailed letter to our city council about a firearms tax issue that's being floated-- with real information about the history and practice of shooting sports locally-- not just a rant. Will it do any good? I only know that, for sure, nothing will if I do nothing. I've written guest editorials for the local paper, letters to the editor-- they get printed because I take the time to do it right. (This is a city of 200,000.) My wife is a local elected official, having run 5 times hitherto. I ran for .public office twice years ago-- I mercifully lost, but still, I did throw my hat in the ring.

There was a very discouraging interview in Guns Magazine recently of Alan Gottleib, the president of the Second Amendment Foundation and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. He pointed out that their statistics show that gun owners actually vote at a somewhat poorer rate that the already poor rate of the general population.

Give up when you're dead. Until then, never give up.

I can relate, I live in Illinois. Have been active politically fighting for rights for over 30 years in this state. Written letters, at times even sent personalized letters to the Governor and every member of the House and Senate. Have lobbied at the Capital almost every year. Never got to see state Senator Obama - as he was always out when I came to lobby - did get to see his formidable secretary - she was very competent and professional - probably would have been a better president. 

Had many losses and wins years ago - got a concealed carry bill on  the governor's desk in the 90's but the "republican" Govenor vetoed it and killed it. Then the state started to go Blue fed by the decline in rural downstate population and the urban growth of Chicago and the suburbs. Mostly for the last 20 or so years we have been playing desperate defense, with one exception a concealed carry law, but that passed only because of the state losing in federal court.  Now though the Democrats have total control of the state - Governor, House, and Senate and the leadership is all rabidly anti-gun. Even "Republicans" in the collar counties around Chicago have become anti-gun. They shut down half the gun dealers in the state, but are taking a break while they raise taxes - income, gas, and others - while increasing spending of course. Illinois is on course to a spectacular financial failure - we don't have as long as California because we don't have Big Tech to prop us up as long. People are fleeing the state in droves. When they get back to guns they have plans to ban "assault weapons," "high capacity magazines," require new red flag laws, extend background checks times and checks on social media, raise fees on the states gun card that is required to even touch a gun let alone own one, and begin requiring registration of guns. 

Honestly I'm tired of fighting and tired of losing. I used to be deluded to think that things could turn around, but now I see that politics is all about branding and marketing - so it doens't matter if the politicians are corrupt or the state taxes keep going up - or that the state is circling the financial toilet. It's all about branding and Democrats are good per urban Illinois and Republicans are evil racist sexist nazi scum. Truth is something that most people don't want to see or hear. Freedom is something that most people really don't want except in name only - because feedom requires responsibility and they find it scary. 

But Illinois is just a backwater on the national consciousness, wouldn't register at all except for Chicago. Whereas California has always been the crown jewel of the West and a state that even New York and the East coast had to grudgingly acknowlege. As another poster pointed out - California was a national leader on many fronts and having almost a tenth of the nations total population could help dictate manufacturers choice of products and production. California and New York City were where everyone who wanted to hit the big time or be somebody went to find their fortune. 

Even today the elite congregate on the East and West coasts and urbanites run the coasts and try to run the the rest of the midwest, west, and south, and north. Though most accurately it is the larger cities trying to run the rest of the nation. As long as the rural, small towns, mid-size cities continue to decline and the bigger cities grow - I see little future for our republic. I fear the country as a constitutional republic will be completely gone in another 3 generations, at the current rate. In its place will be a authortarian bureaucracy run by and stocked with urban elite leaders and elected representatives beholden to the tyranny of the majority whose opinions and beliefs will be molded by the elites through public schools, media, and controlled social media.

Eventually the lands, the farms and wilderness will be taken over by corporations and government. Cars will be self driving and no one will need to actually own a car or truck, they can contact a transportation company and schedule a ride - people will largely not be allowed to have drivers licenses or to drive personal vehicles (all with exceptions for the rich or connected or government higher ups). Housing zones will be set up to be environmentally friendly and therefore all new housing will not be stand alone but will essentially be condo's or apartments. Leasing will replace actual ownership eventually. Guns will go the way of England. They will require licensing, then require use only on "approved" public ranges. Then guns will be expected to be stored at an approved range or facility. People will try to hold on to their family guns but over time places to legally shoot will be restricted, they will have to be kept hidden, ammo purchases will be limited and scrutinized, places to buy or sell guns constantly restricted until eventually over a few generations the gun cuture will be dead and it will be considered evil and scandalous to own a gun. Then there will be no next generation to take them. Social media will be scrutinized and will figure into bank loans and credit scores, job promotions, ability to do privileged things like travel freely or vacation. People will be under the thumb of the state from birth to death and the only freedom they have will be what the state allows them to have. 

On that cheerful note, goodnight. 

One thing I will say is this. We are all too comfortable as a people of this Republic. If we weren’t we would be using our 1st and 2nd Amendment rights to change things. 

I have said time and time again and I have advocated with different pro gun groups to have a march in Sacramento and Washington and all I get in return are excuses. A couple of hundred thousand people quietly marching up to the state houses and occupying the area in regards to our rights would send a very clear message that we are united against “Them”. Alas, nothing. 

It’s a matter of control and manipulation. Each group wants to control the situation; the NRA, FPC, GOA, CRPA, JPFO, and all the other acronyms. You put a bunch of gun owners together and they can’t agree on anything because of biases, egos, dislikes...

“That guy likes AR-15s - I don’t.”

“That guy has a war bunker, he’s a psycho.”

“That guy is Cowboy Shooter. We don’t want anybody thinking we aren’t serious about things. Don’t invite him.” 

“Those guys are pansies, they aren’t Vets”

”Blah blah blah (thump the chest) BLAH!”

Getting a bunch of people with a common interest together to fight for their rights is like herding lobsters, clams and barracuda.

This is what has happened in California. 

If nothing else, learn from it and fight for your rights where you are. 

In the meantime, I gotta go to work. I’ll ride my motorcycle to work. It’s 61 degrees. I will ride home at noon in light traffic in the 74 degree sunshine. Go to the dentist. Then I will stop by my LGS and pick up my Glock 34 and head to the range. 

There, veil lifted...gotta live life. If you don’t, you die.

Please, have a wonderful day. I will. ;)

I lived in California in 1983 for almost a year. I lived with my cousin, who has since passed away, but still have some relatives there in the Santa Clarita Valley. I almost moved there with my son about 5 years ago, he had a pretty good recording deal going ( he plays guitar and writes) We were looking in the Santa Clarita Valley, he was working in Burbank. To make a long story short he got a better offer and moved to Florida then back here in Ohio. ( He's touring with Rob Thomas and is currently gigging in Australia)

No offense but I've seen what's happened in just the last five years and I'm so glad I never made the move! Ohio's weather is not the best and not the worst and it's about as gun friendly as you can get. I guess I'll stay in the Wild Midwest!!!

8 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

He pointed out that their statistics show that gun owners actually vote at a somewhat poorer rate that the already poor rate of the general population.

Bingo!  That has been one of my biggest complaints about gun owners for years.  One of my rants, this from 2005 started:

In California there are at least 6,000,000 firearms owners, yet we have some of the most draconian and Byzantine firearms laws in the country.  Why?  Because too many of us are content to sit and complain but are unwilling to take half an hour a week to do anything about it.  Most of us would rather stand around at the range or in a gun shop and spend a couple of hours debating the merits of .300 Magnum over the latest .270 super short ultra mag. 

Say 15,000 gun owners in each Assembly or State Senate district made just one 3 minute call a week, or even every two weeks, to their State Senator or Member of the Assembly.  Think how many man-hours that would eat up,  45,000 minutes, which is 750 hours.  That's 18 3/4 man-WEEKS.

12 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

^^^^^ yep to that.

I have a sister and other relatives there. My brother-in-law works for the FBI so I hear a lot of stories ..........

But I also know it is some of the best cow country, best hunting and best scenery around........

Hunting?  That won't last much longer.

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Bingo!  That has been one of my biggest complaints about gun owners for years.  One of my rants, this from 2005 started:

Say 15,000 gun owners in each Assembly or State Senate district made just one 3 minute call a week, or even every two weeks, to their State Senator or Member of the Assembly.  Think how many man-hours that would eat up,  45,000 minutes, which is 750 hours.  That's 18 3/4 man-WEEKS.

We will never change to minds of the libs, but if enough people write and use other mens to advocate for gun rights we will change their vote!  They will fight to save their jobs.

I've had people tell me they don't belong to the NRA for (enter stupid reason here.)  Many of them belong to other pro-gun organizations...who are never named by the media or mentioned by politicians.  I'm not saying they aren't good, even somewhat effective groups, but the big Boogey Man in congress is the NRA.

It costs about as much as a meal for two at a decent restaurant or couple of tickets to a movie for an annual membership.  Imagine forty or fifty thousand new members by 2020.  The Dems would panic to try to save their jobs, but now imagine a half million or more by election day.

And once we've done that we'll have to do it ll over again every single day because these "Progressive" idiots will never give up.  Never should we.

I am a 4th generation Californio, my relatives came to California before the gold rush. I was born there in 1941 and left when I retired at 58 in 2000. I grew up in Downey, a small suburb of Los Angeles. I watched it grow from a small farm community that also had an aircraft factory to  nothing but wall to wall homes and businesses. It is home of the space program. I worked on the Apollo and Space Shuttle Programs that were headquartered in our town. My wife was a city council member and Mayor. My roots are deep.

But......things changed and changed a lot! Gone forever is the home of my boyhood and life up till the time I retired and left California for good. Beautiful state with lots to like. But the politics, congestion and general environment just became to much for my wife and I to bare, I could write a book of what is wrong with California for me. There are a great many friends that are still living there. There are a lot of things I love about my homeland.

But not enough to make me stay or return to live there. I have my great memories.........that is enough!

5 hours ago, Raylan said:

I can relate, I live in Illinois.

Eventually the lands, the farms and wilderness will be taken over by corporations and government. Cars will be self driving and no one will need to actually own a car or truck, they can contact a transportation company and schedule a ride - people will largely not be allowed to have drivers licenses or to drive personal vehicles (all with exceptions for the rich or connected or government higher ups).

Housing zones will be set up to be environmentally friendly and therefore all new housing will not be stand alone but will essentially be condo's or apartments. Leasing will replace actual ownership eventually.

Guns will go the way of England. They will require licensing, then require use only on "approved" public ranges. Then guns will be expected to be stored at an approved range or facility. People will try to hold on to their family guns but over time places to legally shoot will be restricted, they will have to be kept hidden, ammo purchases will be limited and scrutinized, places to buy or sell guns constantly restricted until eventually over a few generations the gun culture will be dead and it will be considered evil and scandalous to own a gun. Then there will be no next generation to take them.

Social media will be scrutinized and will figure into bank loans and credit scores, job promotions, ability to do privileged things like travel freely or vacation. People will be under the thumb of the state from birth to death and the only freedom they have will be what the state allows them to have. 

I agree with this 100%.
In CA, we are most of the way here already.

I can't condemn the good folks that live in California, New York, New Jersey, etc.  Most just have to deal with the hand that God dealt them.  I just thank God every day that I was born, raised, and live in Sweet Home Alabama.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Hunting?  That won't last much longer.

They’ll still allow hunting. But you’ll have to do it bare handed so the poor animals have a chance. Or maybe just a coup stick, sufficiently padded to prevent injury of course.

35 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They’ll still allow hunting. But you’ll have to do it bare handed so the poor animals have a chance. Or maybe just a coup stick, sufficiently padded to prevent injury of course.

But not a sap with a lead core....

I just read in the news this morning that nearly 700,000 CA residents fled to other states in 2018. Texas was the largest recipient of CA refugees, while Washington, Oregon, Nevada and Arizona received most of the rest. The main reasons cited were the high cost of living and California's politics.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/regional/nearly-700000-people-left-california-in-2018-and-many-moved-to-the-pacific-northwest/281-84e7c6c9-2aaa-488c-9d9a-600b8665ff1c

Those who flee CA to get away from its repressive gun laws are welcome here in WA, but too often it seems the people who move here are goons who continue to vote liberal and try and make this place just like the mess they left behind. :angry:

I've been to southern California many times.  First was in 66 when our family visited with an uncle and famly in El Monte.  We drove out Route 66 while under construction in many places.  Many places it twisted through downtown streets.  Seen Disneyland while there. Fell in love with Alice in Wonderland.  There a week and never saw the ocean. 

Next 10 or so times were business trips or to visit with son who went through Marine Corps training in San Diego (1990).  Son Chris is an avid hunter and thought he could at least coyote hunt in the desert.  We went around to several gunshops asking about getting hunting license and regulations and public land to hunt on.  May as well had two heads. Flat told there was no hunting in California.   

Business trips string from Burbank to San Diego.  Several in Long Beach.   Had to stay in the old rundown hotel on an island (that's not really an island) called the Del Coronado.   Eat at the Spaghetti Factory and Corvette Dinner. 

Felt oddly out of place on Huntington Beach and Venice Beach.  Did Universal Studios tour a couple of times.  Seen David Hasselhoff's arm as he pulled through the gates.  Seen Jack Palace from about 100 yards away.  Seen severl comedy theaters.  Paul Rodriguez was disappointing.  Must have been trying out new material.  George Carlin must have been drunk or on drugs. Charles Fleischer was great as were the warm up acts.

Probably the best time in California was when we drove over the mountain range to Borrago Springs and spent several days there. There was an Italian restaurant in a small mall ran by two brothers from New York City.   I figured they were relocated under some witnesses protection plan.  Great spaghetti and meatballs! 

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I just read in the news this morning that nearly 700,000 CA residents fled to other states in 2018. Texas was the largest recipient of CA refugees, while Washington, Oregon, Nevada and Arizona received most of the rest. The main reasons cited were the high cost of living and California's politics.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/regional/nearly-700000-people-left-california-in-2018-and-many-moved-to-the-pacific-northwest/281-84e7c6c9-2aaa-488c-9d9a-600b8665ff1c

Those who flee CA to get away from its repressive gun laws are welcome here in WA, but too often it seems the people who move here are goons who continue to vote liberal and try and make this place just like the mess they left behind. :angry:

That's true everywhere they go.

16 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There are many things about California I like. We lived there until I was 7. Still have relatives there in Concord and Moro Bay. Had some great times there at Ft. Ord and wine country vacations decades later. 
The state government is hideously incompetent corrupt of course. I can only hope things change for the better for the sake of my friends and family in the future. :(

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Can I hug a critter to death?  Will it effect the taste?

Archived