SASS Wire Forum

WTB... Lookin' for a 38-40, SRC '92, '66, '73 ???

Yep,

I'd like a nice little Carbine (saddle ring or no) a short rifle mite do.... just in 38WCF ....

A '92 would be Nice.... maybe a '66 or '73....

I'm not really into a Marlin, although they are Very Sweet Shooters, just not my cup'O tea....

Don't have a big budget... an older Rossi '92 would work fine for what I'm wantin'.... gotta be a 38-40

I mite have sumpin you'd be interested in tradin' for... Never hurts to ask.

Whoops... Just realized I posted on the Wrong Forum...........

Don't suppose one a you Moderators would wanna move this to the Classified .....

Would Ya ?

Warden,

A re-pop is what I had in mind...

But I certainly wouldn't turn up my nose to an Original..... If the price wuz rite anywho......

Goody,

Ya-know I was 99.9% sure they never did a 38WCF too....

but the other nite I was on the Rossi website and stumbled across one version of their '92 listed in 38WCF... plain as day.

Ya never know.... there mite be one out there ????

And This Project is'nt budgeted to include lining the barrel..... It needs to be a 38-40 now.

Yep,

66's & 73's though not really plentiful, are available.... A '92 is what I'm really lookin' for.

I've seen two Originals in the last few days at Pawn Shops.... Thanks Goody!!....

But they were wanting Crazy $$$ for em....

One may have been worth 1/2 of what the proprietor wanted, the other was a cobbled together POS

And I have a teenytiny budget for this...... :blush:

1 minute ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

Yep,

66's & 73's though not really plentiful, are available.... A '92 is what I'm really lookin' for.

I've seen two Originals in the last few days at Pawn Shops.... Thanks Goody!!....

But they were wanting Crazy $$$ for em....

One may have been worth 1/2 of what the proprietor wanted, the other was a cobbled together POS

And I have a teenytiny budget for this...... :blush:

Don't know how adventurous you are but if you want to drill out a barrel on a Rossi and install a liner I’d loan you the drill bit and reamer. It isn’t that difficult if you take your time. PM me if you want to talk about it.

Yul,

I've done some liners before, I still have my 38WCF Reamer, and it's "possible" but not likely that I'd settle for a "Cheap" '92 to convert....

In fact my current WB '73 has a lined barrel that I did......

I'm hoping just maybe sumbody has what I'm lookin for....... worth a shot.

If I do decide to go the liner route, I mite take you up on borrowing the drill bit........ Thanks!

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

504279655_Marlinrelinejobdone1September2018.jpg.52216feb1c3b616b609312ab44e2ff8e.jpg

Here is the 9/16" diamater 38WCF I had installed in my Marlin project gun.  Even with a heavier octagon barrel,  all was left was a thin candy shell. Note the liner cut into the dovetail.

Maybe a new barrel from parts?

Not all octagon barrels are the same. 

1 minute ago, William Hendershot said:

Don't think the OP specified Octagon.  In any event, I would definitely rebarrel rather than line were I to convert one.   

The barrel in the picture is an octagon barrel. The OP did not specify and I was not referring to that. Relining isn’t that hard to do if you choose to do so, that was my point.

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

What I didn't explain.  I doubt if it would be possible to reline a round carbine barrel.  

It's Not easy, but it can be done.....

I had to turn down almost 1/2 of the liner in this 20" '73 Carbine barrel and the tip of the original barrel is paper thin.

I did this about 18 years ago and have shot many thousands of rounds through it since then....

Mostly BP but its seen it's share of light smokeless loads too........ it's 38WCF

IMG_1203.thumb.jpg.2593c9b313811e1fd98a12adc98ffaf1.jpg

Sootin' partner that relined the barrel for me had the reamer and drill bit because he came into a killer deal on a Rossi 92 44 Magnum that had been ringed.   He lined and chambered it to 38WCF.    Then last summer he got a new 66 in 38WCF for a song because the store had had it a long time. 

Hi I have Uberti 66 20" 38/40 $1150.00 plus shipping.  I'll be at the Tulsa gun show Nov 8,9,10 lower level. I can send pictures if you want to see it. My Email is acardenas32755@gmail.com

TUCO

Originals are out there.   I picked up 3 38-40s in the last 2 months.  1 colt, and 2 73s,  one of the 73s was only 600 the other not much over a grand.  

Archived