SASS Wire Forum

Veterans Day

Utah Bob #35998

As the ad hoc curator for my VFW displays, I have been asked to set up a small display next week at a local high school. I have field gear from WW1 through GWOT. What would you suggest? I’m assuming no weapons, (even dewat will be allowed) Maybe a WW1 mannequin and then uniforms from Army, Navy , Marines and Air Force?

VFWSeaman.JPG

WWIdisplay.jpg

PatchDisplay (2).jpg

VFWdisplaycase2.JPG

Ranger1 (837x1024).jpg

Mannequins1.jpg

6 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

If it has to be small, ( fit into a showcase ) the patch board, and the showcase, minus the weapons, would be enough.  Mannequins seem like a lot of work. 

No, I will have some room. Maybe a cafeteria type table or two.

7 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

If it has to be small, ( fit into a showcase ) the patch board, and the showcase, minus the weapons, would be enough.  Mannequins seem like a lot of work. 

I can’t take the showcase. It’s solid oak. ;) I actually have a WW2 stretcher to transport a mannequin on.

21 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

No, I will have some room. Maybe a cafeteria type table or two.

If the tables are not easily accessed, then medals, caps and helmets, canteens, k rats plus any other assorted field gear you might have available.  I saw one display, years ago, that had photos of troops in field gear.  Perhaps photos of local veterans that the kids might be able to relate to. 

What Tex said. 

Pieces of gear you can carry easily, plus photos of neighbors wearing the gear once upon a time. 

Maybe be some skills or qualification badges. 

Unit patches he’s are nice for us who know what they mean. For kids they will be just colored cloth. 

The school isn’t in my county, or my state so photos of local vets won’t be possible.

Don't take anything that you won't mind stolen or destroyed. Having been a Scout Leader I can say there will be those that want to steal or vandalize your display unless you have it roped off and under careful watch. You might enlist the aid of any high schoolers that are currently in training and have them come in uniform as well.

16 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Don't take anything that you won't mind stolen or destroyed. Having been a Scout Leader I can say there will be those that want to steal or vandalize your display unless you have it roped off and under careful watch. You might enlist the aid of any high schoolers that are currently in training and have them come in uniform as well.

I will remain with the display.

UB, I like the idea of the WW1 mannequin and the various uniforms and perhaps the display of the various unit insignia. 

It’s very nice of you to do this. :FlagAm:

Hey Bob,

Thanks for doing this!

Uniforms are always great, but when I was a kid (and still now) I was fascinated by the gear.  Guns (of course), but also the helmets, eating kits, compass, Knives and bayonets (probably also not allowed in school), etc.  Since you will be there to answer questions, a display of the gear carried daily to live and survive would be a great conversation starter with kids... at least the ones with a streak of curiosity about things.

Just my two cents

5 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Hey Bob,

Thanks for doing this!

Uniforms are always great, but when I was a kid (and still now) I was fascinated by the gear.  Guns (of course), but also the helmets, eating kits, compass, Knives and bayonets (probably also not allowed in school), etc.  Since you will be there to answer questions, a display of the gear carried daily to live and survive would be a great conversation starter with kids... at least the ones with a streak of curiosity about things.

Just my two cents

Yeah I plan on some helmets, LBE, survival vest, flak jacket.

Back in the day when I did Civil War presentations, I’d get a volunteer and load him down with a musket, bayonet, knapsack, bedroll, canteen etc. those days are gone though.

E5ED4DCB-D38E-43AF-983B-63636EABD66E.jpeg

72EEE082-3833-4A00-8ED2-0E84594247B1.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Just a question, Bob. The butt stock of that rifle over the door, was that your issue weapon in the SF?   Just asking. :mellow:

No. I had a longbow. ;)

The program at Monticello High went veruy well  I put on my old jungle fatigues and took some field gear from WW1 to current time. The kids were quite interested. The fFA kids had organized a very nice presentation with a slide show of all the local vets and families and a few speeches. A quartet sang The Star Spangled Banner....confusing some folks who didn't know there were 4 stanzas. :D Good time. Even if I had to get up at 0500. Glad I stil had the liner for my field jacket. It was 31 when I left the house.

Wish I woulda had my camera. The Beaver Moon was going down over thje Bue Mts exactly in line with the highway and we headed right at it.. Felt like we were in a Saturn 5 instead of an F250. :D

Archived