SASS Wire Forum

Lost another ww2 vet

evil dogooder

I learned on sunday of the passing of my great uncle.  

I was surprised to learn that he was a vet.   He was a supply sergeant in the final years of the war.   Nobody in the family had ever talked about it.  He never did anything for veterans day or anything like that.    He was know for being able to shoot but then most of the guys in my family are.  It does explain a little better the collection of ww2 guns he had.  They were the only plain guns.  Everything else was highly engraved. 

Anyway it was weird to learn about after his death.   I think im going to do a little digging into it to learn more

If you get a chance, check out his DD-214 and any other military papers he might have.

Often times, you will find he may have been award certain citations during his service AND,

you might also discover he could have been at a certain location during a certain history making

event, such as the Battle of The Bulge.   OR, maybe even served under Patton.

Condolences to you and your family.

..........Widder

Most interesting that it went unmentioned in the family.

My experience with my senior law partners who were all WWII vets were that some talked freely about it, others did not, but nobody totally avoided it. 

I had the good fortune to spend several hours in England with a Spitfire ace who made several comments about the subject, as it applied to the British. He said there was a sort of taboo (not quite that strong) about talking about 'one's war', but this faded a lot after 40 years on. He pointed out that in Britain, for years after the war, everybody just wanted to get on with the life that had been put on hold by the war. I think that was true in the US, too.

In Britain there was another factor: everybody had suffered, including the civilian population. You might talk about your experience, and find that the guy you were talking to had seen much worse.

A lot of  American vets who had been very reticent did open up as the decades wore on.

52 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

If you get a chance, check out his DD-214 and any other military papers he might have.

Often times, you will find he may have been award certain citations during his service AND,

you might also discover he could have been at a certain location during a certain history making

event, such as the Battle of The Bulge.   OR, maybe even served under Patton.

Condolences to you and your family.

..........Widder

The DD214 form is a post WW2 document but there are other service and discharge docs with info. Unfortunately about 80% of Army info from WW2 was destroyed in the archives fire in the 70s.

Copies of his documents might also be on file with the VA in his state (s) of residence, either at the end of his service or in any state where he lived afterward. If he went to the VA for any reason, they made a copy and put it on file.  VA in Massachusetts gotta copy for me in 3 minutes with only two or three questions.

9 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The DD214 form is a post WW2 document but there are other service and discharge docs with info. Unfortunately about 80% of Army info from WW2 was destroyed in the archives fire in the 70s.

Thanks UB.  I didn't know that.

But I guess its possible to have been in WWII and not leave the military till years later and have

the DD-214 showing the information.   Just thinking.

..........Widder

While the fire at Ft. Benjamin Harrison did destroy a lot of records, it turned out that much of them had duplicates elsewhere.  You might also contact the Department of Defense and./or the Dept. of the Army.  There are forms to fill out, and you will need to supply proof that you are a relative, but it can be done.

Condolences on the passing of  your great uncle.  RIP

|

|:FlagAm:

|

|

Sorry about your loss. The father of my brother's live-in friend passed away last year, and I only found out afterwards that not only was he a Vietnam vet but he was also one of the Tunnel Rats. He told his family next to nothing about what went on over there, and I had to tell the friend all about the Tunnel Rats and their exploits. Unfortunately I left him wishing he'd have tried to ask his dad more about it.

My hand on your shoulder, my friend.

There is no loss like one of our own.

Archived