SASS Wire Forum

Favorite alternate history books

I really enjoy Tim Powers.  He writes a lot where he will take a real world event and tie a lot of supernatural events to explain how it happened.  Declare and Last Call are a couple of my faves.  Declare involves the end of WW2, and beings on Mount Ararat that the Russians are trying to control.  Last call involves the founding of Las Vegas, Bugsy Segal, the legend of the Fisher King and playing poker with tarot cards. 

There are a number of books by Newt Gingrich, William Forstchen that deal with alternative history, The trilogy about the war of northern aggression is very good, The have others that cover the revolutionary war up into WW2. 

You can find them here...

https://www.fictiondb.com/author/william-r-forstchen-newt-gingrich~38428.htm

A Different Flesh, Harry Turtledove. The land bridge did not exist, so Cro-Magnons from Siberia did not come to the New World. And without the better-at-killing Cro-Magnons there, many otherwise extinct species survived. Sword-Toothed Cats. Hairy Elephants. And Neanderthals.

Guns for the South, also Harry Turtledove. South Africans, with a time machine, supply the Army of Northern Virginia with AK 47s, so the Confederacy will win, slavery will not be abolished, civil rights will never happen, and white folks will still rule South Africa. Such is the plan.

Most of his stuff is alternative history, but these are pretty much the only two that I liked.

Ruled Britannia by Turtledove is a good stand alone.   Premise is that the Armada was successful,  Shakespeare is invited to write a play to help inspire an uprising.   And at the same time gets another commission to write a play memorializing King Philip. 

A two book series is his Day of Infamy . The second book could be a stand alone.

I just read The Fall of Abilene by Johnny Boggs, interesting story about Wild Bill and JW Hardin in Abilene told from a fictitious teenager's perspective who met these guys when he was on a cattle drive to Abilene. Really well written!

https://www.amazon.com/Fall-Abilene-Johnny-D-Boggs-ebook/dp/B07RQVV6DW?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07RQVV6DW

Archived