SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron 1873 with or without pistol grip?

Quizcat

Quizcat, as already indicated in my previous post you should also check if you feel comfortable with the crescent style butt plate of the rifle stock. Couple of shooters prefer the flat plate of the carbine stock, that you can position a bit more on the inside (to your chest) than directly on the shoulder. But it's not only the butt plate, the whole shape of the stock is different.

Also the weight of the firearm has to be considered. My round barrel 19" carbine 73 is distinctly lighter than my 20" octagon barrel short rifle (both in .45 Colt and both hold 11 rounds). But the weight is also a matter of preference you have to feel by yourself :)

Equanimous

Straight stock for times when cycling the action is paramount.  Pistol grip for times when shooting the rifle has priority.

A main match rifle is held to the shoulder mainly by the off hand.  The dominant hand works the action and triggers the shot, frequently, without even otherwise touching the rifle.

Long distance or heavier loads, like a long distance side match, requires the dominant hand to pull the rifle firmly into the shoulder for accuracy and/or recoil control.

Which do you want to do, shoot or shuck?

1 hour ago, Joke 'um said:

Straight stock for times when cycling the action is paramount.  Pistol grip for times when shooting the rifle has priority.

A main match rifle is held to the shoulder mainly by the off hand.  The dominant hand works the action and triggers the shot, frequently, without even otherwise touching the rifle.

Long distance or heavier loads, like a long distance side match, requires the dominant hand to pull the rifle firmly into the shoulder for accuracy and/or recoil control.

Which do you want to do, shoot or shuck?

The focus for me would be competitive events, where most targets seems to be relarively close in CAS, which would require fast cycling of the action more than what might be required for hunting accuracy or relaxed target practice, especially at those close target distances.

2 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Quizcat, as already indicated in my previous post you should also check if you feel comfortable with the crescent style butt plate of the rifle stock. Couple of shooters prefer the flat plate of the carbine stock, that you can position a bit more on the inside (to your chest) than directly on the shoulder. But it's not only the butt plate, the whole shape of the stock is different.

Also the weight of the firearm has to be considered. My round barrel 19" carbine 73 is distinctly lighter than my 20" octagon barrel short rifle (both in .45 Colt and both hold 11 rounds). But the weight is also a matter of preference you have to feel by yourself :)

Equanimous

Good point, I checked into what Taylor's & Company has available with respect flat butt plates, which I agree would actually interest me the most, and it seems they only have the flat style butt plates on their short 16.5" barrel rifles.  Is that getting down a little too short for CAS?

2 hours ago, Quizcat said:

Good point, I checked into what Taylor's & Company has available with respect flat butt plates, which I agree would actually interest me the most, and it seems they only have the flat style butt plates on their short 16.5" barrel rifles.  Is that getting down a little too short for CAS?

Or... you could swap in a carbine stock onto your rifle of choice.  Or, you could cut the crescent butt and put on a shotgun butt pad or a leather stock cover.

Personally, I have no problem with the crescent stock, but I do use leather buttstock covers with rough-out leather against my shoulder so the smooth plate doesn't shift or slide.

On 11/5/2019 at 11:08 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

Plenty of shooters have pistol grip stocks with short strokes.

What Capt Bill said. I've had 6 pistol grips. The 1st one was Pioneer short stroked, & the rest are all Cowboys & Indians super-short stokes, which I believe are 4 1/8 inch, the shortest allowed by SASS.

4 hours ago, Quizcat said:

No, it is just fine.

1 hour ago, Equanimous Phil said:

As long as it holds 10. What chambering do you have in mind?

You should definitely handle a couple of rifles (with your hands) before you buy or order one ;)

I've settled on two Ruger .357/38spl. New Vaqueros in Stainless, with short/wide hammer spurs, for my main revolvers, and there are a couple of standard blued New Vaqueros in my dealer stock, which could be converted to backups, if I would need them.  These are all new guns, never fired, so I can change my mind at will.

One of my handicaps right now with respect to handling anything with respect to "feel" is that I currently suffer from peripheral neurapathy (sp?), where the ends of your fingers, toes, and feet are numb from chemotherapy side effects.  It may go away in a several months, or it may never go away, I just have to wait and see. 

I do have an FFL, and I'm a small time dealer...Other than my already having a Rossi M92 and a Winchester 1892 Large Loop Carbine in my dealer stock, I don't plan to order anything with an eye toward me ordering something for my use in CAS, or pulling somethng off the shelf for me to use in CAS, not until I'm more fully recovered from my surgery, unless some great deals come up.  But, I am easily tempted when it comes to guns, LOL!

I do appreciate all the great education I'm getting in the forum that will come in handy when I do decide to settle on the rifle and shotgun.  I have the Steve's Gunz video and slick-up kit for the Rossi M92, which I hope will help entertain me a little over the winter as I conveless.  I am planning to mess with the Rossi for fun, maybe having it as a backup.  But, unltimately, I sense that I'll probably want to upgrade to a Uberti 1873 or a Winchester 1873 eventually, and that's why I'm trying to educate myself on short stroking/tuning, etc..., so I can possibly have those improvements done on a Uberti or a Winchester by an expert, etc...Unfortunately, Steve of Steve's Gunz, has a one year backlog, so I'm going to play with slicking up the Rossi M92 myself this winter using his video and kit.

The only experience I have comparing the 2 is that I have 2 Marlin 1895's in 45-70. One is straight and one is pistol grip. I load some stout loads in 45-70 and the pistol grip seems to give me less felt recoil.

i like them without but i see the appeal to those that are used to such , it is all a matter of personal preference - not much different than it was back then - you pay for what you prefer , something tells me the cost difference now is far less than it was back then , 

Archived