SASS Wire Forum

Time to pack it in for the winter.

Warden Callaway

The two clubs we regularly shoot at have their last match of the year in October.  This fall both clubs were going to try to squeeze in a match in early November - weather permitting.   But both possible matches have fallen through. So that's in until spring. 

Uncomfortable weather is factor but the killer is DEER SEASON.  Many years ago deer season was two week in mid-November.   But now the deer population has gotten completely out of control so they have expanded the seasons and methods from October through January. It's youth firearms deer season right now. Regular firearms season starts soon.  The gunclub ranges that we have our matches, become deer camps until after the first of the year. 

Come on down to the Southwest - we'll try to shoot all winter!  Just shot a wonderful weather match last Sunday at 7000' elevation (Founders Ranch).

Good luck, GJ

The good thing (one of them) about CAS is you will be welcome to shoot just about anywhere.  Central and Southern CA, especially on the coast, is very nice in winter, compared to Missouri.  And deer are so scarce here now that they'll never interfere with any body's match.   But it's a long ways to travel.   Welcome nonetheless.  

Southern Missouri Rangers in Marshfield tries to shoot through the winter - weather permitting.

34 minutes ago, Fingers McGee said:

Southern Missouri Rangers in Marshfield tries to shoot through the winter - weather permitting.

Yeah,  there are several clubs within striking distance that try to shoot all year. I will have to watch for dates. 

Second to the weather,   the hours of daylight keep getting shorter and I don't like driving in the dark. Besides visibility,  the risk of hitting a deer at night in the fall is really high.

5 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

The good thing (one of them) about CAS is you will be welcome to shoot just about anywhere.  Central and Southern CA, especially on the coast, is very nice in winter, compared to Missouri.  And deer are so scarce here now that they'll never interfere with any body's match.   But it's a long ways to travel.   Welcome nonetheless.  

Strangely enough the Bandidos match on Saturday was delayed about 15 minutes because of a deer on the hill right behind the berms. That’s about the 3rd or 4th time that’s happened in the last 10 years or so. They aren’t bothered at all by all of the gunfire down below.

52 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Strangely enough the Bandidos march on Saturday was delayed about 15 minutes because of a deer on the hill right behind the berms. That’s about the 3rd or 4th time that’s happened in the last 10 years or so. They aren’t bothered at all by all of the gunfire down below.

Sometime this summer,  while the match was going on,  a fawn came walking down the hillside we shoot into, walked through the targets and on out through the stages to the creek behind. 

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Yeah,  there are several clubs within striking distance that try to shoot all year. I will have to watch for dates. 

Second to the wealthy,   the hours of daylight keep getting shorter and I don't like driving in the dark. Besides visibility,  the risk of hitting a deer at night in the fall is really high.

It's gotten to where driving after dark determines where we go also.  

4 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Strangely enough the Bandidos march on Saturday was delayed about 15 minutes because of a deer on the hill right behind the berms. That’s about the 3rd or 4th time that’s happened in the last 10 years or so. They aren’t bothered at all by all of the gunfire down below.

As usual, my timing is impeccable.  I stand corrected - again. 

We don't often see deer around our range, which is situated in grassland with very little brush to serve as groceries.  But we do have a family of bobcats living there, and a mt. lion that occasionally shows up.  The range staff say the lion once paraded right down the main driveway past all the hot ranges when under fire.   I've only seen him once, streaking (not parading) across the access road.   It's amazing how wildlife will adapt to almost anything.  

2 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

As usual, my timing is impeccable.  I stand corrected - again. 

We don't often see deer around our range, which is situated in grassland with very little brush to serve as groceries.  But we do have a family of bobcats living there, and a mt. lion that occasionally shows up.  The range staff say the lion once paraded right down the main driveway past all the hot ranges when under fire.   I've only seen him once, streaking (not parading) across the access road.   It's amazing how wildlife will adapt to almost anything.  

The wild turkeys make an appearance occasionally also. At lake Wolford about a quarter mile away there is a bald eagle that nests there. Once in awhile it will fly over the range.

4 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

How far up the hill?  Maybe get a cheap drone to chase them off with next time it happens.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

How far up the hill?  Maybe get a cheap drone to chase them off with next time it happens.

About 20 yards behind the berm. The range is on city owned land and we are not allowed to disturb wildlife. 

Actually deer season in Missouri starts Sept. 15th and ends Jan 15th. Same as it has always been for many a year. Have antler restrictions in a few counties and CWD testing is several.

2 hours ago, Smoken D said:

Actually deer season in Missouri starts Sept. 15th and ends Jan 15th. Same as it has always been for many a year. Have antler restrictions in a few counties and CWD testing is several.

I've not deer hunted in years so I don't keep up with the exact details.  

Around the northern Colorado area we shoot year around.  But this year I'm done until Winter Range.  Having my thumb/wrist cut on this Friday.  In a cast for at least 6 weeks will keep me from cowboy'n.  After that, the PT sure sounds like dry fire to me... :D

Having my other thumb/wrist done after WR which will keep me out until June, but that can you do, old arthritis don't care about a fellers need to cowboy.

yup , deer opener is this weekend here , our range has been a festival of sight-in experiences for the last few weeks as have most all the rest in the state lately , i dont handle the cold well anymore so im on that wagon plodding toward spring shoots as well , 

We have a club here, Tusco Long Riders, that shoot all year WEATHER PERMITTING, and also have a club , Shenango River Rats, an hour from me that puts on INDOOR shoots the last Thursday and second Sat all through winter. The indoor shoot is of course not the same but it's fun anyway and it's some "trigger time"!!;)

16 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

The wild turkeys make an appearance occasionally also. At lake Wolford about a quarter mile away there is a bald eagle that nests there. Once in awhile it will fly over the range.

Yep, we have had a fawn walk out onto a stage while we were shooting, and it is not unusual to see deer and turkey. We have had to fill in a dusting bowl more than once on a stage.

Archived