SASS Wire Forum

Safety glasses. Not just for shootin'

Tennessee williams

I forged a TP holder Sunday. I was polishing the scale off with my bench wire wheel, when the wheel caught the TP holder and flung it around before it let loose and smacked me in the face. Yeah, that hurt. The safety glasses did their job and kept my eye from being impaled(I need to write them a thank you letter). Black eye, feels like a broke nose, and a knot on my head but it could've been bad. I almost didn't put the glasses on.

20191103_142323.jpg

20191103_142225.jpg

20191104_141254.jpg

Glad you weren’t badly hurt. I am also glad you can show photos of the glasses and your injury and not a photo of you with an eye patch where your eye used to be. 

I’m glad you were not seriously injured.

You sure could hav been.

It’s possible that SASS safety training saved you.

Get some good military grade “ballistic” safety glasses.   See a Topic post that I replied into about safety glasses in general....a few weeks ago.

BUT, okay......

What is a “TP holder”?

Not a toilet tissue holder......(?)

Looks a bit like a small hay hook.....

What is it?  What’s it called?

cb

Yep, we gotta to take care of our eyes, we only have two and they have to last a lifetime.

On a side note, amber colored safety glasses work real well for improved vision during night driving in the rain or snow ......

13 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

I’m glad you were not seriously injured.

You sure could hav been.

It’s possible that SASS safety training saved you.

Get some good military grade “ballistic” safety glasses.   See a Topic post that I replied into about safety glasses in general....a few weeks ago.

BUT, okay......

What is a “TP holder”?

Not a toilet tissue holder......(?)

Looks a bit like a small hay hook.....

What is it?  What’s it called?

cb

Toilet paper holder. Screws onto the wall, leaf side up. The finial holds the roll in place. I'd have looked weird saying TT holder.

I've heard of and used all kinds of excuses for a black eye but this is a very unique one. In my younger days, I might have used this one.....:D

Seriously though, glad you're okay with just a black eye and some bruising. Could have been much worse. I didn't used to wear eye protection much but as I got older, I got wiser. Use them for most everything from changing motor oil to lawn work. I'm in construction.....eye injuries are frequent and often serious.

CS

Damn, TW... that's definitely an eye-opener - pun not intended but unavoidable!

Hope ya finish healin' up quick-like.  I once had a glass prescription lens chipped when it stopped a flying piece of steel - a heck of a lot smaller than what smacked you!

By the way ~ a cool looking piece!  Is that 3/8" stock?  Mind if I borrow your design?  Finally cool enough to fire up the forge in these parts.  :)

I have had polycarbonate lenses in my prescription glasses for many years. Would have lost an eye or been seriously injured three times if not for them.  When I had cataract surgery the doctor said he could make it so that I would not need glasses. I refused because I probably wouldn't have safety glasses with me every time I needed them if they were not on my head all the time.

TW, may I use your pictures for a safety meeting I am having at work? I will crop your face to just show the damage near your eye. I have a safe group of guys but getting them used to wearing safety glasses all the time is a bit of a chore. 

IASVS CHRISTVS!

Scares me and I'm fearless!

Thank you, my friend, your timely admonition may well have saved more than one window on the world!

My friend had a serious eye injury two years ago cutting his grass! A stone got kicked up. I wear safety glasses when I cut the lawn now!

Glad your injury wasn't too bad. Good reminder, thanks!!;)

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Damn, TW... that's definitely an eye-opener - pun not intended but unavoidable!

Hope ya finish healin' up quick-like.  I once had a glass prescription lens chipped when it stopped a flying piece of steel - a heck of a lot smaller than what smacked you!

By the way ~ a cool looking piece!  Is that 3/8" stock?  Mind if I borrow your design?  Finally cool enough to fire up the forge in these parts.  :)

Thank you. Yes sir 3/8" stock. You're welcome to use it. Careful with the wire wheel though!

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

TW, may I use your pictures for a safety meeting I am having at work? I will crop your face to just show the damage near your eye. I have a safe group of guys but getting them used to wearing safety glasses all the time is a bit of a chore. 

Sure thing. Some people have this weird notion they will be able to close their eyes or look away before something hits them. Well one second I was grinding and the next I was getting up off the ground with blood spurting out the top of my nose. I used to fight mma in my younger days and none of them hit harder than steel, let me tell ya. 

37 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Sure thing. Some people have this weird notion they will be able to close their eyes or look away before something hits them. Well one second I was grinding and the next I was getting up off the ground with blood spurting out the top of my nose. I used to fight mma in my younger days and none of them hit harder than steel, let me tell ya. 

Thank you very much and I agree. Steel has no conscience and it hits hard.

TW - glad you're OK.

I wear prescription glasses, especially needed for close up work.

I use to have a pair for regular wear and a pair for shooting.

My regular pair did not have side shields or wrap-around lenses.

I've since gone to wearing "safety" glasses all the time.

Specifically, I wear WileyX Kobe frames with polycarbonate transitional progressive lenses.

May not be the most stylish but I never forget to change glasses.

Wiley X Kobe

About 40 years ago I was working at a chemical plant operating the drum filler.  When a batch of chemicals came to an end, we would put a rubber ball in the pipe and force air pressure behind it to clear the pipe and put the last of the batch in the drums.  One day we were clearing the pipes and I opened up the valve too far and I got a faceful of the chemical we were filling the drum with.  Luckily, the company issued full-face shields  and I had mine down, otherwise I would have gotten a high pressure blast of the chemical into my eyes.

Archived