SASS Wire Forum

Way OT- speed loaders for a J-frame?

It’s a non-SASS gun question and I trust the Saloon’s experience.

I carry a J-frame and am looking for a speed loader for everyday use.  The Safariland units feel flimsy, but am open to persuasion by someone who’s used them. I also saw a model a few years ago that was machined aluminum but can’t find it now.

Thoughts from the Saloon?

And to the first one who says to get a ten-shot Glock...  I’ve shot my son’s quite a bit and just don’t like it.  

I like the HKS speed-loaders. They are very reliable. I have carried them for years (the same ones) and they have never dumped my ammo. I have carried them loaded in pockets, backpacks gun rugs and even loose in a glove compartment without them losing the rounds. 

HKS is what I carry too.  But he thought they were flimsy and wanted something better (spell that more expensive)     I have 1 machined aluminum speedloader and do not see it's that it's any better than my HKS      GW

I prefer the Safariland over the HKS.  Safariland release with a push into the cylinder.  HKS require holding the cylinder from spinning while turning the knob on the loader. I probably own 40 or 50 speedloaders for various guns.  

I also like Dade Speed loaders, but they are hard to find any more.  

5 Star, Pachmyer and Lyman all make a machined aluminum loader now.  They're all versions of the HKS, involving turning a knob to release the shells.  

I carried Safariland speed loaders for years before we switched over to semi-autos and I liked them a lot.  A quick push-let go-close the cylinder and go.  I toyed with one (an HK?) a friend had that required you to hold the open cylinder steady while twisting a knob to release the cartridges before letting go and closing the cylinder.  It felt like too much fiddling around when you're in a hurry.

The Safariland is a little more difficult to initially load with cartridges, but it's a lot quicker and easier releasing the cartridges into the cylinder.

As always, your mileage may  vary.  Try both and see what you like.

Angus

7 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I prefer the Safariland over the HKS.  Safariland release with a push into the cylinder.  HKS require holding the cylinder from spinning while turning the knob on the loader. I probably own 40 or 50 speedloaders for various guns.  

I also like Dade Speed loaders, but they are hard to find any more.  

5 Star, Pachmyer and Lyman all make a machined aluminum loader now.  They're all versions of the HKS, involving turning a knob to release the shells.  

I agree. The cartridges are held very securely. Once they’re in, they’re IN. I used Safariland on all my revolvers and I carried many back in the 70s-80s until we switched to semis. I still carry one when I have my Airweight on my belt.

AE6F0F1D-FD37-4E67-927A-391DBC3A2DA7.jpeg

I tried one Safariland, not much of a test, I know, but perhaps I had a goofy one. Or perhaps I just got used to my method with HKS speedloaders but I like the HKS better. 

My friends used Safariands and they liked them. I think the best thing to do is try different types and see what you would prefer. A cop out answer but speedloaders are like revolvers. Not everyone likes the same things. 

The biggest thing is that no matter which you decide on one must practice with them and practice often. 

I've carried a 3" 686 for many years and prefer the Safariland speedloaders (both the Comp I & II) for the reasons others have mentioned.

Also use them for "J", "K", & "N" frame revolvers. 

Don't know how to find it but, somewhere on this web is a video of a fella testing HKS speedloaders.  He loads a couple and puts them in an empty paint can.  The paint can goes in a paint store mixer and shakes them for a good while.  When the speedloaders are removed, the bullets are all smashed and deformed.  Every round, however, remains firmly held in its loader.  I was sold.

HKS.

13 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The biggest thing is that no matter which you decide on one must practice with them and practice often. 

Pat nailed this one right on the head. Buy one of each, (they don't cost that much) find the type YOU like and practice the heck out of it. Back in my PPC days, I shot a 586 Smith and used HKS loaders. A good buddy swore by a Python and Safariland. In a match the winner was who ever was having the best day. Sometimes we reshot a match switching guns and gear. Boy it's a shame there were no videos back then! LOL!!!

If your "carry" is a J-Frame, and you suddenly need a speed loader, your already in deep enough DooDoo you should be running as hard as you can  :ph34r:  a speed loader ain't gonna help ya.  Besides, running that hard you aren't able to reload anyway  ;)

44 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

If your "carry" is a J-Frame, and you suddenly need a speed loader, your already in deep enough DooDoo you should be running as hard as you can  :ph34r:  a speed loader ain't gonna help ya.  Besides, running that hard you aren't able to reload anyway  ;)

Sometimes there's nowhere to run. Always carry a reload.

The main reason I prefer the Safariland over the HKS isn't really about the rounds staying in the loader. It's about the loading. The Safariland is simply pushed. The rounds drop into the chambers automatically when the loader hits the end of the ejector rod, whereas the HKS requires a push and then a twist of the knob to drop the rounds. One movement vs two. Granted it's just a small movement, but under stress the fewer things you have to do, the better.

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Sometimes there's nowhere to run. Always carry a reload.

That’s what cover and concealment are for 

7 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

You ever been in a shooting?:huh:

I've been in two--You can't carry enough ammo:excl:

When I carry my S&W j frame. I have 3, 6-shot speed strips in my pocket.

OLG

2 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Doesn’t mean you won’t need a reload.

Thanks for posting this thread, Charlie. This is reminding me I need to do more drills with my revolvers and speed loaders. 
If I ever get a CCW permit here in CA my S&W 442 will be one of my primary CCW handguns and it has been a few months since I have practiced speed loading it and shooting. Last time I was able to practice speedloader firing practice was about a month before my crash. 

Hi Lump Lump  :rolleyes:

Yes.  In fact I have.  Some more than you.  Atz why my carry is magazine fed.  And yes ... I carry more than one additional magazine.  And NO.  When TSHTF you cannot have too much ammunition.  Most folks who carry a J-Frame don't spend enough time with one to hit anything with it let alone reload when they are scared to death and full of adrenaline.  Actually, that honestly applies to most folks that carry no matter what they carry.

13 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Hi Lump Lump  :rolleyes:

Yes.  In fact I have.  Some more than you.  Atz why my carry is magazine fed.  And yes ... I carry more than one additional magazine.  And NO.  When TSHTF you cannot have too much ammunition.  Most folks who carry a J-Frame don't spend enough time with one to hit anything with it let alone reload when they are scared to death and full of adrenaline.  Actually, that honestly applies to most folks that carry no matter what they carry.

That is the main reason that I put my beloved J frame away and switched to a bottom feeder 

18 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

For some reason this makes me think of a guy I used to work with that once found himself trying to hide his 6'1" 250# body behind a 6" curb on the side of a street.

He got lucky and made it out ok.  His partner did not.

Angus

1 hour ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

My "J" frame is a 6 shooter and I use HKS loaders .... It's in .32 S&W long ....

Jabez Cowboy

I have one of those essentially new in the box living in my safe. I was a very young Juvenile Probation Officer when a local chief of police found out that I was only armed with a .38 derringer. He asked to see it threw it in a drawer and handed me the J frame still in the box saying that he didn’t have time to babysit me. I quickly bought a Chiefs Special and carried it after I became a police officer off and on for the next thirty years. Right before the chief retired I got the derringer back 

Archived