SASS Wire Forum

Interesting Article of Remington's Decline

Gracos Kid

As we all know, Remington has lost a tremendous amount of its luster recently....The article below is an interesting read.....

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/05/01/magazine/remington-guns-jobs-huntsville.html?smid=fb-share&fbclid=IwAR0fD_cQ2d6PmCgTdC34Ykh9XqIvYI4XM8dWMycvrlJ631b9f0f7ULZE9w0

Try this link.....

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...1b9f0f7ULZE9w0

Interesting.
I bought 2 Remington handguns in 2017.  An RM380 and an R51. I recently sold both of them. When the dealer asked what I wanted for each I said $200 each. He laughed and showed me that the two guns I paid $310.00  the RM380 and $376.00 were selling brand new for $230 each online. Remington is off loading it’s inventory. 

I do not own any Remington guns but did buy a Marlin 1894CB this year that is a very good rifle. 

I fear that America’s oldest gun maker will be history soon. All over greed and shenanigans by low life corporate raiders. 

The other way to look at it let's suppose our labor rates are excessively high compared to foreign manufacturers, and the American worker just doesn't take pride in the quality of their work anymore. Our auto industry in the best case for that.

Ike

14 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

The other way to look at it let's suppose our labor rates are excessively high compared to foreign manufacturers, and the American worker just doesn't take pride in the quality of their work anymore. Our auto industry in the best case for that.

Ike

There are many factors that have contributed to the decline of American industry. 

But it it is my fixed opinion that given quality leadership and a proper work environment, the American worker is on par with anyone in the world. 

Remington’s demise rests solely with ownership and top management. 

The auto industry’s decline is on the back of corporate management plus poor leadership of the UAW. 

Interesting article. I've worked for a company that was bought by a "private equity group." It was not pretty, company went from being a place people wanted to work  to a place we hated to go in to every morning. Had absolutely nothing to do with the caliber of the work force a greedy board of directors made a deal with the devil and the workers paid the price.

45 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I find the NY Times to be more valuable as a bird cage liner.

I find it good to layout when cleaning guns, or taping off area's when painting.  Which reminds me, I do have a painting project to do and I need newspaper to tape over certain areas.

There's a good video on YouTube where somebody explains the situation at Colt and how they've been perpetually going out of business for the past 50 years. They've had one greedy hedge fund owner after another, and in spite of the insane profits they've generated from military contracts it's all been skimmed off leaving the company with no money for plant upgrades or hiring an actual R&D team to come up with new products. That's why they laid off most of the Custom Shop employees and continue to build nothing but ARs and 1911s... getting the funding to design new firearms has been like pulling teeth. The only reason why they've been able to develop the new Cobra and other pending ideas is because during the last bankruptcy reorganization the hedge fund owners were forced to relinquish a little more control of Colt's finances than they were enjoying in the past.

On 11/4/2019 at 1:58 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Interesting.
I bought 2 Remington handguns in 2017.  An RM380 and an R51. I recently sold both of them. When the dealer asked what I wanted for each I said $200 each. He laughed and showed me that the two guns I paid $310.00  the RM380 and $376.00 were selling brand new for $230 each online. Remington is off loading it’s inventory. 

I do not own any Remington guns but did buy a Marlin 1894CB this year that is a very good rifle. 

I fear that America’s oldest gun maker will be history soon. All over greed and shenanigans by low life corporate raiders. 

And a Remington there was a rebate to lower the new price below $200.  The RM380 became so affordable people who equate price with quality ranked it below Taurus.

The trigger issue they had on their 700s a few years ago didn't help their cause.

5 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

And a Remington there was a rebate to lower the new price below $200.  The RM380 became so affordable people who equate price with quality ranked it below Taurus.

Given the choice between an RM380 and a G2C at $100 dollars more (it isn't), I'd take the G2C all day, every day. The G2C has developed a pretty decent reputation as a decent firearm at a good price.

34 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Given the choice between an RM380 and a G2C at $100 dollars more (it isn't), I'd take the G2C all day, every day. The G2C has developed a pretty decent reputation as a decent firearm at a good price.

I would too.  

A fair comparison would have been the RM380 vs PT738 or now RM380 vs Spectrum.  Those would both be subcompact, single stack, 380 ACP carry pistols.

2 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

I would too.  

A fair comparison would have been the RM380 vs PT738 or now RM380 vs Spectrum.  Those would both be subcompact, single stack, 380 ACP carry pistols.

Valid point! It was the first thing I thought of before coffee though.

My RM380 was a very reliable pistol. It fed and fired every .380 round I tried and I pretty much tried them all. The reason I sold it was it was not on the California DOJ Roster. Off-Roster guns are scrutinized if you wish to list one as a CCW gun in CA (please don't comment about the  roster - we all know your state is better so let's  keep the dead horse beating out of it).

The sights on the RM380 were really small and it had a long trigger pull, but it was a very reliable gun. I cannot say the same about other .380's that I rented and tried.

The R51 was a depressing piece of excrement. I had to send  the first one I had back to the factory 3 times before  they replaced it. I fired 300 rounds out of the replacement then sold it. I  wanted to make sure it was reliable. That gun wouldn't feed most self defense 9mm ammo. It was more of a  curiosity than anything else.

39 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The only Remington I own is an old Nylon 66 from back in the days when they still made excellent firearms.

I had to think. I do own an older 870 Wingmaster. Got it recently, and still haven't been out to shoot it.

47 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I had to think. I do own an older 870 Wingmaster. Got it recently, and still haven't been out to shoot it.

You’re killing me, Doc. The Wingmaster is one of the all-time great shotguns ever built. It should be a crime to let it sit in a dark safe.  

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

You’re killing me, Doc. The Wingmaster is one of the all-time great shotguns ever built. It should be a crime to let it sit in a dark safe.  

I've shot Cowboy Action once since the State Match on Memorial Day. I got out with one of the guys from my old unit that I consider a brother last Sunday, because he needed some "therapy."  I found time to go shoot with Mrs. Doc once over the summer before she injured herself and everything went south around here. Sadly, the past few months, life has gotten very much in the way. 

8 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Hope everything's on the mend, Doc. I too had a very busy summer dealing with family injuries that kept me away from doing the things I wanted to.

Unfortunately, her injury doesn't seem to be healing at all, as of the last MRI. Considering everything else that has gone wrong since then, I'm just sitting here hoping nothing else bad happens. It seems like whenever the other shoe drops lately, it is a steel toed boot.

I haven't talked about all of it much here because I try to come here to get away from it for awhile.

I hope your own family injuries are on the mend.

Archived