SASS Wire Forum

Home defence

Of course the national American media is mum on this.

Four days ago a friend of mine from church heard noise downstairs and detected burglars in his basement. They turned out to be a man and woman. He put his S&W on them from the top of the basement stairs.

The woman dropped to her knees and told her companion to do the same thing. She said "don't shoot, we're not bad people, we're running from the Cartel". Then-- she pulled out her cell phone and called 911, told the police that the homeowner had them at gunpoint, but that they weren't bad people. Then, she asked my friend, the homeowner, for his address and relayed it to the cops!

The cops came and took the miscreant couple into custody. True story, straight from the horse's mouth!

3 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Four days ago a friend of mine from church heard noise downstairs and detected burglars in his basement. They turned out to be a man and woman. He put his S&W on them from the top of the basement stairs.

The woman dropped to her knees and told her companion to do the same thing. She said "don't shoot, we're not bad people, we're running from the Cartel". Then-- she pulled out her cell phone and called 911, told the police that the homeowner had them at gunpoint, but that they weren't bad people. Then, she asked my friend, the homeowner, for his address and relayed it to the cops!

The cops came and took the miscreant couple into custody. True story, straight from the horse's mouth!

Glad that ended fairly well. 

I wonder if that lady was truthful regarding the Cartel or if it’s an excuse to garner sympathy? Regardless, I am glad your friend didn’t have to shoot anyone.  That would have brought a whole new level of heartaches. 

It's been my experience that the female is indeed the deadlier of the species.

They were probably tweaking about the cartel...but at least the woman had the sense to get down and try to defuse the situation even though it would end in their arrest.

The rest of the story is that my friend's wife heard the shouting and also dialed 911, then heard the dispatcher refer to the earlier call, which the wife assumed was perhaps a neighbor, not the bad guys. The wife then came downstairs, the cops came and took her outside, then told my friend to put his gun away. He had set it down when he saw the cops were there, but they told him to take it upstairs and put it away.

A most interesting incident. The friend is retired army and an ex-cop, too.

The expectant mother's husband was treated for cuts and fractures of the eye socket and sinus cavities, so apparently the perps had attacked him before his wife ended the attack. :angry: The thing that concerns me about the AR-15 is that the 5.56mm killed the one guy, but he ran 200 yds before collapsing! :o  If he had run toward her or shot at her, the results could have been tragic!  I think something on the order of 12 ga with #4 buckshot would be an even better choice!  She could fire it from the hip.  The only problem might be noise transmitted to her unborn child! :unsure:  Glad it came out the way it did, however! B)

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I wonder what might have happened had the woman told the 911 operator a fake story about them being held against their will by a mad gunman... trying to get the police to respond and immediately take aim at your friend. Just something to ponder on a Monday afternoon...

This happens quite often around here in Florida and I have to suspect in other areas as well. Almost always, there is more to the story than "We have never met the perps or why this happened". I suspect it is drug related and is the case most of the time.

6 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I think something on the order of 12 ga with #4 buckshot would be an even better choice! 

One perp was holding her 11 year old and the other was beating her husband, would you take that shot with a shot gun? The AR15 was the best gun for that situation, she may not of had a good shot, but got one in between her daughter and husband.

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

One perp was holding her 11 year old and the other was beating her husband, would you take that shot with a shot gun? The AR15 was the best gun for that situation, she may not of had a good shot, but got one in between her daughter and husband.

In that case, no question!

20 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

The expectant mother's husband was treated for cuts and fractures of the eye socket and sinus cavities, so apparently the perps had attacked him before his wife ended the attack. :angry: The thing that concerns me about the AR-15 is that the 5.56mm killed the one guy, but he ran 200 yds before collapsing! :o  If he had run toward her or shot at her, the results could have been tragic!  I think something on the order of 12 ga with #4 buckshot would be an even better choice!  She could fire it from the hip.  The only problem might be noise transmitted to her unborn child! :unsure:  Glad it came out the way it did, however! B)

That is why the 300 blackout was created.

The attacker ran about 200 feet or about 67 yards.

21 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Not to be a hard ass, but's that's probably when I would have shot her, not know what the hell she was trying to pull out.

In that situation if I can't see hands there's going to be a problem.

23 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Well, he saw what she was doing. He is both level-headed and has eyes to see.

I guess different people react differently.  I've had two armed confrontations in my life.  Because my tactics don't suck neither was what I would call a 'fair fight'.  In both cases I had my gun on them before they knew I was even around.  One had a gun in his hand, which had been pointed at a woman's head, which he put down when I told him to.  Had he made any fast unexpected movements with his hands he would have been shot.  The other dropped the crow bar in his hand and ran, which saved him from getting shot.  To me, if they've broken into my home, I have them at gunpoint and have told them to hold still, making unexpected movements to their body/belt/pockets with their hand(s) is going to draw a 'don't move, keep your hands where I can see them'.  If they keep moving and I see something in their hands, chances are something bad is going to happen, and it won't be to me.   Maybe they're at a distance and I can see really well and realize it's just a phone (I hope so!!) and maybe it's dark and they're close to me.....

At the very least he should have told her not to do that.  Seriously, how many of the people reading this thread, especially law enforcement, would be comfortable letting someone you have at gunpoint reach into their pockets or to their waist to get something unannounced?

He's happy he didn't shoot them. He saw she had a phone, and heard her on it. Sure, he could have claimed that it was a mysterious unknown object that could have been a gun (after all, who carries telephones?), but it wasn't. As I said, he's retired military and an ex-cop himself.

He could have been shot by the police, too. Stranger things have happened in much less fraught circumstances.

But he wasn't. All's well that ends well!

I reported the story here mainly because of the unusual and interesting situation of the bad girl under gunpoint calling 911-- and telling the truth to the dispatcher (about being the criminal, anyway).

19 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

He's happy he didn't shoot them. He saw she had a phone, and heard her on it. Sure, he could have claimed that it was a mysterious unknown object that could have been a gun (after all, who carries telephones?), but it wasn't. As I said, he's retired military and an ex-cop himself.

He could have been shot by the police, too. Stranger things have happened in much less fraught circumstances.

But he wasn't. All's well that ends well!

I reported the story here mainly because of the unusual and interesting situation of the bad girl under gunpoint calling 911-- and telling the truth to the dispatcher (about being the criminal, anyway).

Totally agree!  Much better that he is OK and not having to deal with having shot someone!

Archived