SASS Wire Forum

Can you remember song lyrics, without singing the song?

Alpo

For some reason this morning the word merengue was in my head. I was thinking of Rick Moranis, in PENNIES FROM HEAVEN MY BLUE HEAVEN (at least I had the "heaven" part of the title right), and the girl telling him that she did not know how to dance, and he telling her that neither did he, "...but I can merengue".

I remembered that it was in COPA CABANA, but it wouldn't scan. I was thinking the lyric was "and do the merengue", but that was six syllables and the song rhythm only allowed five.

So I started singing the song.

SHE WOULD MERENGUE, AND DO THE CHA-CHA...

Aha. I had it in the wrong spot in the line.

The simple things can be so annoying.

I'm just the opposite, I can hear the melody and can't get the words to my head!! Maybe it comes from being a musician, I hear melody and chords first!:huh:

It seems my mind stores memories in their context.  The stronger the context, the harder it is to separate the component parts.  Try to think, "I'll be back", without Arnie's chorman accent.  Songs have a lot of context.  You call up the memory whole the try to take it apart.

Maybe that's why its harder to remember the lines for the character "Henry V", then to remember the same number of words from a lifetime of songs.  Ya, context, that's it....

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

Without singing them? Sure. But I usually end up hearing the song in my head, even as I am speaking them.

I don't normally sing them aloud, but when thinking them I hear them in order with music. I sing them in my head.

27 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I don't normally sing them aloud, but when thinking them I hear them in order with music. I sing them in my head.

Yes, I agree.

As a vocalist, I literally have thousands of lyrics rattling around in my head!!  I often have to mentally recite the lyrics to find song titles!! :blink: :lol: 

The other strange thing is that I can be singing a song and find myself wondering what the words are to an upcoming verse, recalling them at the last moment, like muscle memory!!  It especially happens when we're performing an old song, (most of our numbers are old, but some we haven't done in years, or ever!) that we haven't done in years!! :rolleyes: :wacko:

I remember songs I sang in 7th grade Boys Glee Club.  Then all the years in High School Choir, College A Capella Choir, Barbershop, Church Choir.  Which part of the harmony do you want?  I can remember the theme songs to 60s and 70s TV Shows.  "Just sit right there and you'll hear a tale. A tale of a fate full ship."  But I can't tell you what I had for lunch yesterday.  Songs invoke powerful memories (memories, like the corners of my mind.) (never cared for her).  Then all the songs on the radio bouncing down the highway. (on the road again. I just can't wait to get on the road again.)  Then in a melancholy moment, (sweet dreams of you.  Every night I go through).  Unrequited love, (do you think of me).  After a few pops (you ain't leavin' thank God are you?)  Like Blackwater, I can't recall the next verse to a lot of tunes until the moment they come spilling out of my mouth.

What were we talking about?  

Songs that get stuck in your head?  Makes me crazy(er).  I have to find a more desirable song to replace it with.

The absolute worst are singers who are not capable or enunciating the lyrics.  That dude who used to be with the Dooby Brothers has to be the worst.  Michael Murphy.  (?)  Not Michael Martin Murphy (She'll be calling Wildfire).  The first Michael Murphy, I know he can speak clearly. I've seen him being interviewed but when he sings he had that mic so far in his mouth that his lips are wrapped around it and everything sounds like (she comes from somewhere back in his wo wo wo woooo).  What do I know.  I don't sing for a living.  If I did, I'd be working part time flipping burgers, which I'm actually pretty good at.  Do you want fries with that?

4 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

its harder to remember the lines for the character "Henry V"

Once more into the breach, dear friends...?

7 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

The absolute worst are singers who are not capable or enunciating the lyrics.  That dude who used to be with the Dooby Brothers has to be the worst.  Michael Murphy.  (?)  Not Michael Martin Murphy (She'll be calling Wildfire).  The first Michael Murphy, I know he can speak clearly. I've seen him being interviewed but when he sings he had that mic so far in his mouth that his lips are wrapped around it and everything sounds like (she comes from somewhere back in his wo wo wo woooo).  What do I know.  I don't sing for a living.  If I did, I'd be working part time flipping burgers, which I'm actually pretty good at.  Do you want fries with that?

Michael McDonald. Ruined the band when he joined.

Once more unto the breach dear friends once more

or close the wall up with our english dead

The thing I've found with Shakespeare is if you can get the meter down, it helps to remember much of it. But, you have to work to memorize it. You don't hear it as often as you do a song, and there is much more to a play than just the specific speeches and soliloquies 

I don't do songs very well, but I do memorize certain things. As a Mason, I've had to memorize a lot of the ritual. Once I have memorized, I don't forget it. As I have gotten older, it has gotten a lot harder to memorize.

Back in my misspent youth I was an oldies disk jockey, and when I play the jukebox at the VFW I'm usually singing right along.  I've also been a karaoke singer and try to avoid using the screen when I'm performing.  To me the lyrics and music are so intertwined that I can't just recite the lyrics without connecting them up with the underlying music.

Archived