SASS Wire Forum

Reloading question on 38-55

Newlee SASS#5469

3 hours ago, Newlee SASS#5469 said:

Just talked to Henry and they don’t recommend reloading. I would suppose that is to cover themselves legally. They say the grove bore is 376.  They said they use “Saami” specs. Very interesting info there. Thanks for the help.

I got the same CYA speech from Winchester about 8 years ago when I picked up an 1894 Legendary Frontiersman. Tried .375 jacketed bullets and it couldn't hold a 12" group a 25 yards. Switched to 262 grain, .379" gas checked lead bullets and it's now a tack driver. 

Typically, there are two different case length(s) for the 38-55.  Typically, the rule of thumb for lead bullets is 1 or 2 thou over bore groove diameter.  I have never used Gas Check bullets in my 38-55s.  I've always been concerned about separation.  None of the manufacturers recommend reloading anything (liability concerns).  If your rifle bore slugs at 375 groove diameter, I'd suggest bullets sized to 376

9 hours ago, Newlee SASS#5469 said:

Henry ...  say the grove bore is 376.  They said they use “Saami” specs.

Well, either you or Henry are careless with the numbers.  I'd bet it's the Henry technician answering your call.  The SAAMI specifications for the 38-55 barrel call out a groove diameter of 0.379", with a permitted maximum-tolerance diameter on the grooves being 0.381"

You can see for yourself at this web site of the ANSI SAAMI standards:

https://saami.org/technical-information/ansi-saami-standards/

And as others noted above, the .38-55 has been made for SO long that almost any groove diameter from 0.373 to .384 can be found in a 38-55.   So, as is almost always wise with this fine but not very standard gun, the best recommendation is to get some samples of several diameter lead gas-checked slugs, and try out what ought to be good loads for those slugs, carefully range checking at your desired shooting distance(s).  Let your rifle tell you what to shoot.   But, if I had to try out one bullet first, I'd try to find a soft lead bullet of 0.380" diameter.

Good luck, GJ

Newlee: How did your measure your barrel? If it wasn't by slugging it then your numbers are probably off. I run .380 in my Numrich re-barrelled Winchester and also in my Buffalo Classic, but some bores run much smaller than mine.

I have a Marlin 1895 38.55 and use a 255 grain projectile that is 0.378.5 RNFP

We use them for our Pat Garrett match similar to Cody Dixon and with 6 grains of TB or 7 grains Unique at 30-40 yds get a 2" group easy, without even trying too hard!

The TB is a softer recoil so for going a bit quicker is best for me.

Archived