SASS Wire Forum

Anybody used this shotgun in Cowboy Action Shooting??

Quizcat

Anbody ever used the CHARLES DALY, SXS, 520T, 20GA, 3",20" CT5 EXTRACTOR, BLUED ,WALNUT STOCK Shotgun in Cowboy Action Shooting Events?  If so, what did you think of it? 

FEATURES

Manufacturer Part Number 930115

-20 Gauge
-3" Chamber
-20" Barrel, Blued
-Action: Side by Side

CT5 Extractor
-Rem® Choke thread pattern

INCL FULL TUBE Y
INCL IMP CYL TUBE Y
INCL IMP MOD TUBE Y
INCL MODIFIED TUBE Y
INCL SKEET TUBE Y
INTERNAL CHOKE TUBES Y/N Y

Walnut stock , checkered grip & forend
-2 round capacity
-Overall length: 37.5"
-Overall weight: 5.3 pounds

Charles Daly.jpg

We have one shooter at our club that uses one in 12GA

Let me play with it a little. Felt pretty good. He has not had any problems with it.

Had some work done to it before he bought it.

I do understand that there was some firing pin issues with it at first.

But he has used it a few months now with no more problems.

Think most shooters prefer the 12 over the 20. See very few 20's at the range.

I figured that a 20 gauge would be less recoil, and better for CAS for that reason, but sounds like I might be off base in that assumption.  The 520T comes with a full range of Remchokes, so even though it's designed as a coach gun, it's represented by Charles Daly as a skeet gun too, hence the assortment of chokes.  

You know, Charles Daly has been around forever, but they've changed hands so many times, had various warrantee committments from different manufacturers that have bought the name, or from various importers.  I think they're currently offering 5 years, and Chiappa is the importer.  Not sure where this particular model is being made these days.  I think Charles Daly can have a decent reputation depending on the model being discussed.  I have a chance to grab a brand new one of these in 20 gauge for $599.00.  The 512 model is available for about $15 more.  So, maybe I should be considering the 512 instead (12 gauge).

19 minutes ago, Quizcat said:

I figured that a 20 gauge would be less recoil, and better for CAS for that reason, but sounds like I might be off base in that assumption. 

Many folks have thought that way and found out that that the 12 gauge just runs better,  factory loads are more available at better prices and low recoil loads are softer than 20 when it comes to recoil.  I suspect most that started with a 20 switched to a 12. 

The ATI Road Agent might be another decent contender too, even cheaper, but it came out in 2017, so it might be too new to actually find any reviews on it, especially with respect to CAS.  I've looked for opinions on it, and found nothing but mostly marketing hype from ATI.  I found one review from a CAS shooter that took one to a match, and liked it. 

It does have kind of an interesting design...The Road Agent has an 18.5-inch carbon steel barrel aluminum finish, aluminum receiver, scroll engraving and hand finished wooden stock and forearm.  It has double triggers with external hammers, allowing users to fire both barrels at once, a patent-pending de-coker system that auto-cocks both hammers when a user breaks the barrel to load it.

Anybody run into the ATI Road Agent at CAS events?

American-Tactical-Road Agent.jpg

12 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Many folks have thought that way and found out that that the 12 gauge just runs better,  factory loads are more available at better prices and low recoil loads are softer than 20 when it comes to recoil.  I suspect most that started with a 20 switched to a 12. 

I'll stick with 12 gauge then...thanks!

6 minutes ago, Quizcat said:

The ATI Road Agent might be anither decent contender too, even cheaper, but it came out in 2017, so it might be too new to actually find any reviews on it, especially with respect to CAS.  I've looked for opinions on it, and found nothing but mostly marketing hype from ATI.  I found one review from a CAS shooter that took one to a match, and liked it. 

It does have kind of an interesting design...The Road Agent has an 18.5-inch carbon steel barrel aluminum finish, aluminum receiver, scroll engraving and hand finished wooden stock and forearm.  It has double triggers with external hammers, allowing users to fire both barrels at once, a patent-pending de-coker system that auto-cocks both hammers when a user breaks the barrel to load it.

Anybody run into the ATI Road Agent at CAS events?

American-Tactical-Road Agent.jpg

Just about forever, 20Ga Wing Shooters have asked for 20Ga ammo that would perform like a 12Ga.  The ammo manufacturers gave them their wish.  Since the 20 is lighter than a 12, with most common ammo, the 20 kicks like a mule.  Ammunition like the Fiocchi Trainer solves that problem as does reloading.  Remember, Target ammo is not lighter ammo.  It is intended to break clay birds at 30+ yards (also true for 12Ga).  If not reloading, or with an availability of something like Fiocchi Trainers, the 20 can be brutal.

A big NO to the ATI gun.  Shooters a couple of years ago almost 100% complained about it's poor functionality right here.

Good luck, GJ

I’ve not seen the ATI shotgun at a match.  Occasionally new shotguns come on the scene that look like they might be suitable; some work out and some don’t. There are few if any doubles that are ready to go out of the box.  Most need a little work.

There is only one category, Classic Cowboy, in which a double must have external hammers and they must be real hammers, not external cocking levers.  I think I recall reading that the ATI is not legal for Classic.  If you use a shotgun with external hammers or cocking levers in a different category you have added a step to every shotgun reload.  Not to say that some folks can run a “hammer double” quickly or that some folks just like the looks of a hammer double.

The decocking lever adds nothing for a SASS shooter.  Decocking a firearm on the firing line will buy you a Stage Disqualification.

Personally.

Would get the longer barrel model and have it cut to 22-23inch.

I prefer the 23. Most prefer the 22. Think the little bit of a longer barrel just works out better.

And for SASS. Choke tubes just don't mean much.

Would also not buy one unless it's been worked over by a cowboy gunsmith that knows what they are doing.

3 hours ago, Quizcat said:

I figured that a 20 gauge would be less recoil, and better for CAS for that reason, but sounds like I might be off base in that assumption. 

Recoil is entirely a function of the shot mass, the velocity of that mass, and the weight of the gun.
1 oz of 12-gauge at 1200 fps is the same recoil as 1 oz of 20-gauge at 1200 fps.

Hodgdon does not offer any 20 gauge loads lighter than 3/4 oz, so IMO it is pointless to acquire a 20-gauge specifically for that purpose.
Having a second gauge means a separate set of reloading presses, etc, etc.

I'm setting up to load 12 gauge Remington hulls, Clays, Fed 209A, 3/4 oz of #8, as a light load for SASS.
This same setup also lets me load heavier loads for Trap.

I guess I'll be that guy, switched from 12 to 20 many years ago because of a bad shoulder. Always felt like less recoil to me, same price as 12ga most places. Coach guns kick more than longer barrels, in my experience. I have a load for .7 0z that barely kicks at all but still knocks down all the targets.  

I occasionally shoot a Charles Daly 306 that my pa Blue Boy sass 46773 bought about 10 years ago. It has the locking lug between the chambers so it is not such a good choice for SASS. At the speed that I shoot it is not so much of an issue, but yes it does slow me down a little. Still, it is a great handling, well made and attractive sxs. It is 12 ga with 26 inch tubes. I like it but it will never be super fast.

Imis

Kick-EEZ called me this morning.
We discussed their magnum recoil pad p/n 501-125LB.

He says this is the heaviest (7 oz) and more absorbent pad they make.
I mentioned added 1 lb of dead mule lead to the butt stock bolt hole.
This will jump the Stoeger up from 6.5 to 7.9 pounds and reduce recoil by 1.8 lbs.

Archived