SASS Wire Forum

Red dot in 44 special

Still hand Bill

Looking for a lower limit load data for red dot in 44 special.  Using 180g bullets.  I have been using trail boss at 4.9g, but it has resulted in inconsistent rounds.  I have lots of red dot, clay dot, and promo from shotgun loading and have found loads around 5.5-6 g but the velocity is still pretty high.  Has anyone gone lower with good consistency?

Are you shooting in cold temperatures?  My 44 Spcl pistol load is 180gr bullet with 4.5gr Trailboss (minimum in the chart) and it has been just fine for me.

I'm using a Lee Factory Crimp Die for a good crimp.

Somewhat cold, 40-50deg.  Crimped with Lee fcd.  Had 5 or so out of 100 than were almost squibs.  They went down range, but not quickly.  Wanting to change powders as I have kegs of shotgun powders.   Found one load for clays for a 185g, so I will try that.  

Only loads I have ever had anything similar was light blue dot loads in 44 sp shot in a 445 super mag.  They worked fine in a 44 sp, but the longer chambers didn’t get the pressure up for good ignition in the 445.  I am sure I am getting variations in powder drops and not building enough pressure. 

Red Dot and Clay Dot would be my choices for a cold weather powder and easy recoil in .44 Spl.  Stay away from Blue Dot....

Good luck, GJ

I have been loading 44 Special or Mag for many many  years .

Unique is about all you need for light  cowboy loads up to mild magnum loads  

Just sayin .

Rooster 

red dot in 44 special.  Using 180g bullets.

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook lists Red Dot in their .44 Russian loads, and just happen to have a 180 grain bullet with loading data.   The top of the Russian data would most likely make fine loads in .44 Special case for Cowboy shooting.

Start out with about 4.0 grains RD and see how that works. 

Good luck, GJ

I’ve loaded 4.2 grains of Red Dot and Promo with Both 165 grain and 200 grain bullets. Have shot them with the temperature in the 30s with no problems and with good “cowboy” accuracy

I load 4g Red Dot with a 200g bullet in .44spl starline brass for my Marlin 94. I tested powder charges of 3.0, and 3.5 and 180g bullets as well. All functioned and met power factor but I got too much blowback in the Marlin. If I were loading for pistols, I'd do some more load development in the 3.0g/180g or even 160g  bullet range. With the Marlin, I'm stuck with the considerably more stout 4.0g load with the 200g bullet.  Clays and 700x also ran well, but didn't burn as cleanly as the Red Dot at the lower end. 

I use 4.5 grains of Red Dot with a 200 grain bullet in 44-40, if that helps.

I am inferring that you need to look at your powder measuring. I have done better by not using a baffle in the powder hopper when using Trailboss. Red Dot is coarse so may present a similar problem of bridging in the measure. You may, depending on your setup, need to use a powder check.

My experience measuring Red Dot - it has fed through Dillon and Lyman powder measures just fine for pistol cartridge size powder drops.  Do a few fine grain powders feed more accurately?  Yes.  But is RD able to be metered accuratly enough for most Cowboy work?   I believe so.

Good luck, GJ

9 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

In the case of my .44 Spcl pistol load mentioned above, I am hand dipping the Trailboss powder.  That perhaps is a good reason for my consistent results.

Trailboss is very subject to static electricity, so you could lose some off the dipper on the way to charging the case. If no powder granules are noticed, pretty easy to spot, then perhaps that is not a factor. I wonder if using a dipper and assuming ultimate consistency is a mistake. Trailboss in a sufficient intended charge, a Hodgdon published load,  has been consistent for me. from  both Lee and Hornady volumetric measures. My point is that changing powders is not necessarily a solution to the problem.

Archived