SASS Wire Forum

A Gift this weekend...

Creeker, SASS #43022

At our monthly shoot this weekend; I was approached by a shooter that doesn't play with us much anymore.

I lit up when I saw this shooter; because this man was an inspiration to me when I began shooting.

This man is Irish Red; with his shamrock printed shirts and green felt hats - in the early 2000's, Irish was the Duelist to beat in Southern Nevada.

I watched Irish Red and emulated him; taking his advice and guidance on shooting Duelist. 

I said often back then, "I want to be just like Irish when I grow up".

With his help; I became a fairly proficient Duelist and won a buckle or two.

I also watch Irish Red interact with other shooters and admired his willingness to mentor, advise and give of himself.

I have tried to live up to the example he set as a leader and mentor; I have often fallen short of his level - but I always knew what I should be striving for.

As we shook hands and caught up; Irish motioned me to follow him to his car. 

"I hoped you would be here this weekend" he stated as he opened his door.

Reaching in, he removed a hatbox and handed it to me.

Inside was one of Irishs custom felt hats; this one a green derby with red feather custom made for Irish Red with his name and SASS number inside.

"What is this?", I ask. 

Not entirely sure why I'm being handed this box.

"It's yours", Irish replied. "I want you to have it".

This gift means more to me than I can express. 

It is a great honor and I will wear it with pride.

Years ago; while at the top of his game - he thought enough of me to advise and direct and 20 years later as his participation wanes - he continues to give of himself.

Thank you, Irish.

I want to be just like you when I grow up.

Now THAT says a lot about BOTH of you... I don't know either of you...but I hope I can be a little like both of you...IF I ever grow up that is

Archived