SASS Wire Forum

38 Special Loads, Rifle vs Pistol

Wade Fargo

Another option for ya.  I used to order 1000 rounds of 125 gr using once fired brass from Georgia Arms for $250.  Worked great in both the rifle and pistols with never a misfire.  If you sign up for their mailer you can catch their free shipping offers.  I used this to stockpile brass until I could get reloading equipment. 

Finally picked up a Lee turret press a short while back load my own now.  I use the same method as Jabez to load black powder rounds.  My press is mounted to a very nice homeless Ikea shelf so I can take it on and off my workbench.  Works great.  Not the fastest loader but not so slow that it's a drag.

• 1 month later...

I won't be reloading because I don't have the space currently. but I'm curious as the question came up with the guy that will be loading for me, do you devise loads that seem equally effective in both the rifle or pistol or do you devise a load that runs perfectly in your rifle even if its a bit heavier then you would prefer in your pistols?

I'm a complete novice at this game so I'm going with the thought that only stupid question is the one I don't ask.

Wade 

That is a truly, really bad idea, both for you and for him.  Let's just say on one rare cartridge he accidentally double charges the load.  The gun WILL blow up.  Does he have the funds to replace the gun?  Does he have the insurance to cover any injuries that may result?   Suppose that blown top strap, cylinder pieces, flying brass damages the eye of the TO?  There is a reason that ammunition manufacturers are required to have an FFL and a helluva lot of insurance.  

If you don't reload, buy your ammo in bulk from any of the Cowboy ammo companies.  They know what we need and the prices are reasonable.

download.jpg.1ca3e5738303bee231364a2befbae26c.jpg

download (17).png

Over the years, there have been some really ugly and scary things happen to people who rely on "others" to reload for them.  Bad JUJU.  I personally won't shoot any ammunition loaded by "others."  That said, you will want to keep it simple.  Don't make it complicated.  In this game, your not reaching for any accuracy records at 200 yards.  As long as you can shoot into "minute of pie plate" at 30 feet, you gold.

125Gr Truncated Cone bullet works in any rifle.

125Gr Truncated Cone bullet works in any handgun.

I like 3.3Gr of TightGroup for both.

Federal Primers.

You can set up a really nice reloading station in a closet.  Loading for yourself, all you will need is a single stage press and a powder measure (or a funnel and a scoop).  Oh, and most important, invest in a good reloading manual (Lymann)

That is a truly, really bad idea, both for you and for him.  Let's just say on one rare cartridge he accidentally double charges the load.  The gun WILL blow up.  Does he have the funds to replace the gun?  Does he have the insurance to cover any injuries that may result?   Suppose that blown top strap, cylinder pieces, flying brass damages the eye of the TO?  There is a reason that ammunition manufacturers are required to have an FFL and a helluva lot of insurance.  

If you don't reload, buy your ammo in bulk from any of the Cowboy ammo companies.  They know what we need and the prices are reasonable.

download.jpg.1ca3e5738303bee231364a2befbae26c.jpg

download (17).png

I should have been a bit more clear, the “guy” is actually local ammo supplier/custom gun maker, he’s insured and I trust his work. I’ve used his ammo for a number of firearms for range and personal defense. I have no safety concerns over the ammo.

My secret is to shoot Holy Black!!!  :) I always fill the cartridges to the top. That method doesn't work for Bullseye! :rolleyes:

Mine use the same.  Pistols were hitting just below POA so I went up to 158 grn RNFP over 3.5 grn Titegroup.  The marlin likes these too.

As others have said, find a load that will reliably feed in the rifle. If your rifle has been "modified", OAL will be important to ensure this.

Revolvers will eat anything.

I settled on a load of 3 gr Green Dot with a 125gr TCFP coated from SnS. 740 FPS in pistols.

I wanted some feedback (recoil) so I know a squib when I get one.

Settled on the Green Dot because I got quite a bit from a pard who was getting out of reloading, and I can use it for rifle, pistol and shotgun.

Simple and easy on the checkbook.

In .38 WCF my main match loads do triple duty ,,, Rifle and Revolver for Matches and slip them into my Low Wall for use out past 300 yards .... Same loads Different Guns and uses ......

Two favours Black and Smokieless ...

Jabez Cowboys 

I load for my wife and use 127gr rn from Badman Bullets, 3.5 gr. of Tite group with federal mag. primers. We used the same in her 38's and both our Rossi 92's and with the oal of 1.5 they feed as fast as the 92 will run with out any stove pipes. They have good power to knock down any row of plates and don't hurt her hands or shoulder after a 5 stage match. 

I should have been a bit more clear, the “guy” is actually local ammo supplier/custom gun maker, he’s insured and I trust his work. I’ve used his ammo for a number of firearms for range and personal defense. I have no safety concerns over the ammo.

So he is licensed to manufacture and sell ammunition?

I load the same for both rifle and revolvers. :) I tried different loads and even different calibers. STUPID IDEAS! :wub: Since I shoot .45 Colt wart hog loads of Holy black and am ancient, screwing around with lengths and loads makes no sense to me. I like whatever works with the least amount of thought. ;)

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :D

So he is licensed to manufacture and sell ammunition?

Yes, he most certainly is licensed to manufacture and sell ammunition as well as manufacture and sell firearms, I thought that was pretty clear the second time around.

Merry Christmas  to everyone and thanks for the reply’s.

Wade

if/n you/d use the Holy Black Powder; then it don't matter one way or the other....   ...just load that thar .38 special shell casing plumb full of Ffg with a slight compression when seating your bullet....   ...it'll be just fine...

I load for my wife and use 127gr rn from Badman Bullets, 3.5 gr. of Tite group with federal mag. primers. We used the same in her 38's and both our Rossi 92's and with the oal of 1.5 they feed as fast as the 92 will run with out any stove pipes. They have good power to knock down any row of plates and don't hurt her hands or shoulder after a 5 stage match. 

Okay, I have to ask... my 38spl load is 3.5 titegroup under a 158grn bear creek bullet.  Why the magnum primers?

Okay, I have to ask... my 38spl load is 3.5 titegroup under a 158grn bear creek bullet.  Why the magnum primers?

Many use them to ensure consistency in colder weather. Some powder/primer combinations are temperature sensitive. Some (like me) could not find anything else during the dark days of the previous administration, so was forced to use them and to date have found no good reason to go back to anything else. Others prefer to keep a single primer on hand and simply use the magnums for everything they reload.

I personally cannot tell any difference between magnums and non magnums, I use titegroup in my 38's as well ...3.2 grains with a 147 TC coated bullet from Ringers Bullets and the magnum federal small primer.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived