SASS Wire Forum

Drill RIfles

Just got off the phone with a buddy.  Seems his granddaughter is enrolled in the Jr ROTC program at her high school, and they use de-milled '03 Springfields for drill.  She asked him to carve her a dummy rifle out of hardwood so she can practice at home.  So I'm curious... where could one find a real - but de-milled - rifle these days??  :huh:

36 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

When drilling, I use a Drilling.

Probably easier to find a rifle and do firearms training, w/o the shooting.  If the kid is going to drill with a firearm, then firearms training is necessary.   Just buy the kid the rifle right quick and get the same sling the school is using.  Borrow or buy the sling from the school.

Cat Brules

CMP used to sell drill rifles.  They get a few in occasionally.

It’s great that a Jr ROTC group actually has drill rifles! 
Glendale parade supplies has rifles.

https://www.paradestore.com/index.php/replica-rifles/rifles.html

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Har

beat ya to it :P

Them replica drill rifles don't weigh or balance anything like an aught three. If they're using demilled REAL GUNS, and she practices with a replica, I believe it would make her worse, not better, in performance.

21 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Them replica drill rifles don't weigh or balance anything like an aught three. If they're using demilled REAL GUNS, and she practices with a replica, I believe it would make her worse, not better, in performance.

Not exactly correct. Depends on which model you get. Some are the same weight as an O3.

Thanks, Y'all... I'll pass these on to Doc.  :)

Shux... when I was in Jr ROTC back in the 60's we drilled with M1's.  The only "de-milling" done was removing the firing pin.  We got a memo once offering us "de-activated" '03 drill rifles for some ridiculous price - think it was under five bucks.  Dangit... Sgt McNiece wouldn't do it - "Y'all don't want them things!  They're junk!  The don't work!"

On a separate note, I knew some fellas affiliated with a certain to-remain-unnamed veterans group who got a bunch of "de-milled" '03's.  The firing pins had been removed, firing pin hole brazed over, and lead poured into the chambers.  Um... you might guess what a bunch of farmers and machinists did with 'em.  whistling.gif

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

CMP used to sell drill rifles.  They get a few in occasionally.

It’s great that a Jr ROTC group actually has drill rifles! 
Glendale parade supplies has rifles.

https://www.paradestore.com/index.php/replica-rifles/rifles.html

Logan High School, Logan, Utah, 1957-1960: we had fully functional M-1 rifles, M-1 carbines, 1911A1 pistols, .22 target rifles and pistols, and at least one fully operational 1917A1 BAR and one .30 Browning machine gun.There were  2.75mm and a larger mortars that I a suspect worked, and a "bazooka" of some sort.

We were allowed to check out a Garand or a carbine on weekends and were issued 1 clip and 2 boxes of ammo for the Garand and two 20 round mags and two boxes of ammo for the carbines.  They were due back, cleaned and oiled, by 0800 hours on threnext school day, usually a Monday.

We did close order drill and exhibition drills with fixed bayonets.

No one died and the only injuries were M-1 thumbs and bruises from practicing new drills.

Depends on what the program's idea of 'drilling' is.

If it's the exhibition drilling (e.g., the 'Queen Anne salute'), she would especially benefit from weight and balance as close as possible to what she will spin in the program. 

Sounds like a reason to buy an '03 beater that still functions and let her flail away (over grass).

If it's simple manual of arms (left shoulder, right shoulder, present, etc.), it's a reason to buy an '03 in better condition.

Either way . . . . 

Archived