SASS Wire Forum

Bit off more than I can chew I think

evil dogooder

Well my two are going to start competing full time next year.  Which is great.   

Then a friend from high school who isnt a shooter asked if I could help her kids too as their father has no interest.   Not a problem.  Happy to help.   

So fair warning, if you see me running around like a chicken with its head chopped off next year its because there will be 6 new sass shooters under 14 somewhere close by.

Oh and my wife has decided to shoot gf now and wants help with that....

There will be no rest for me next year I'm thinking.

You’re reloader will be running 24/7.

Part of the fun (and responsibity) of shooting is reloading.

You need to get each of them involved.

Or you could hire full-time help.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

15 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

You’re reloader will be running 24/7.

Im seriously considering buying a Dillon one of those 1050s I think

Good for you.  I am sure you will live up to the task.

My Grandson is in a similar situation. Both his daughters Hunt, Fish and Trap. They can also field dress and process everything they catch or kill. They are having so much fun that now some of their friends want him to teach them the same skills. He has gotten calls from about a 1/2 dozen parents wanting to know if he'll hold classes and teach their girls the same skills.

48 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Then a friend from high school who isnt a shooter asked if I could help her kids too as their father has no interest.   Not a problem.  Happy to help.   

So fair warning, if you see me running around like a chicken with its head chopped off next year its because there will be 6 new sass shooters under 14 somewhere close by.

That’s the Dogooder side of you Evil. :)  If anyone can handle that increased workload it’s you with that high energy level you have. It’ll be fun watching the kids shoot.!

28 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

That's a want, not a need! 650 is just as capable as 1050 and lifetime warranty. Good for you for taking on all those kids. 

59 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Maybe buy a couple of Lee "nutcracker" hand presses and associated support tools and have "reloading night"?  One more step on then evolution ladder. 

1064890257_BoysreloadingNov2019.thumb.jpg.a8e87df8f6b7e4df0e4ea7f539b6b414.jpg

Our two sons about 1976.  Chris in background is sizing cased on a Lyman Spartan press. Gabe in foreground is setting bullets on charged cases.

2 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

The force is strong in you young Dogooder - you'll be ok.

1 hour ago, Assassin said:

That's a want, not a need! 650 is just as capable as 1050 and lifetime warranty. Good for you for taking on all those kids. 

I don't need either.  My Lee works just fine but If I'm going to upgrade it's going to be something I can automate

2 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

I hope you’re all gonna shoot the same caliber!!:o

Reminds me of the line from Christmas Vacation. Clark says something like, "Our Christmas' were always such a mess. How did you get through it?" Dad says, "I had a lot of help from Jack Daniels."

Helping others discover the fun in shooting sports may be the most important thing we can do.

The plaques you may not earn because you are working with these folks would soon be forgotten anyway.  These folks  will carry the memories of shooting with you for the rest of their lives.

Good for you, sir!

5 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

Maybe you can round up some other members to "big brother" the buckaroos when at the range?

4 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The other positive is you are going to be way to busy for any snow dances this winter. :D

I broke out the bunny slippers just for you so in wouldn't hold your breath

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I hope you’re all gonna shoot the same caliber!!:o

Three will be using 22s  1 32s and 2 38s so it will be a lot of loading.

Im hoping to get their mom involved too.   She seems interested and it would be nice for my wife to have a lady her age to shoot with

Good going...but I will have fun watching you go in circles. And watching Little Miss Lou Who beating you in another year or two...

i started this game because of a family of youngsters that invited me to join them , i commend you on the efforts , you dang near have a posse all by your lonesome but you should get them shooting with others who will help and benefit from the interaction as well , young guns add a lot to our experience , keep them interested , 

and i recommend you teach the arts of reloading [with patience] to those new shooters - actually talking not texting can be fun learning experience for all , shooting your own bullets is a great example for self reliance elsewhere in life and knowing the process adds perspective to the cowboy days we try to relive , i think these kids will be well grounded in life

Well God Bless ya! That is the kind of effort and giving that breathes life into a sport. Good on you. Prayers for patience, safety, and fun. Oh, and memories - lots and lots of memories.

8 hours ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

Good going...but I will have fun watching you go in circles. And watching Little Miss Lou Who beating you in another year or two...

Im pretty sure she will get that done this next year.  She's been getting a lot of low 20s lately.   It won't take much to get her into the teens

With all the people that read this Wire, somebody has to know a representative of the Federal folks, just down the road from you in Anoka. I'm sure they could part with a case or two of .22s. Considering all the positives that come with what you are doing, I think some ammo industry folks would be eager to step up and help you get the ball rolling.

1 hour ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

With all the people that read this Wire, somebody has to know a representative of the Federal folks, just down the road from you in Anoka. I'm sure they could part with a case or two of .22s. Considering all the positives that come with what you are doing, I think some ammo industry folks would be eager to step up and help you get the ball rolling.

I've already got federal helping us out.   Trying to get some others too.   Sent an email to Henry and a local leather guy.   I'll be  selling most my non essential guns to help fund it if they decide to stick with it. 

ED, after you get done with this project and those youngsters start shooting circles around us senior citizens, somebody needs to nominate you for a regulators badge.  I don't say this half-heartedly.  You will deserve it.

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

ED, after you get done with this project and those youngsters start shooting circles around us senior citizens, somebody needs to nominate you for a regulators badge.  I don't say this half-heartedly.  You will deserve it.

Im not doing anything special to deserve it sir. 

Just finished a practice session.   3  are typical kids 2 show promise.   But one,   if he sticks with it will go places.   First stage today was a 76. With a little coaching and me tweaking his guns,  last stage was a 29 clean. Just simple 1,3,2,3,1 sweeps.  2 shotgun but he has a rare talent .

11 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

You might want to think of an address that people can use to send stuff your way.

You got a friendly FFL that will take packages? Or something else?

I do have a friendly ffl.  After today I'm going to need one.   We went through 1200 rounds in 2 hours.   I think im going to get at least 3 dedicated shooters here.  

21 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The other positive is you are going to be way to busy for any snow dances this winter. :D

I was wearing the slippers last night just tapping my toes to the radio... woke up to a dusting of snow on the range today

Archived