SASS Wire Forum

Are you kidding me???

Utah Bob #35998

Satanic sailors?

What is wrong with the Navy??

Air Force academy too, as I recall. :angry:

If I said what I thought about this here I would be in a long time out. :angry:

Someone deserves to be slapped around and keel hauled. Then slapped around more...lots more. 

Might have something to do with that pesky First Amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I don't agree with Satan-worshippers, but, there it is.

The plebes are nominated by Congressmen, the majority of Congress is liberal and their supporters are liberals— can’t really be surprised that some plebes are liberal too.  

:(

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Might have something to do with that pesky First Amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I don't agree with Satan-worshippers, but, there it is.

The military isn't a republic or a democracy. The Constitution doesn't always hold sway there. Courts have upheld the military's right to clamp down on free speech and other rights that civilians can exercise.

I agree. And since it's a school, completely paid for by the government, I'm surprised the (nowhere mentioned in the Constitution) "separation of church and state" allows there to be any religious ceremonies or places of worship.

When I was in boot camp we were all informed that there might be a very good chance the only clergy available might be a Rabbi, a Priest, any variation of Protestant or maybe none at all. There were no guarantees regarding religion and there were no rights, period. You could list your religious preference on your dog tags but that didn’t mean squat if you were going to meet your maker “Last Rights” if requested, might just be performed by a Rabbi or a Baptist. No guarantees. 
On my ship we had a Methodist Chaplain for a little while and then we had a Catholic Chaplain. There were only a handful of Catholics aboard. Everyone liked the Chaplains. They were nice guys. No one bitzed or complained and there sure wasn’t anyone griping that their needs weren’t met.  

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

On my ship we had a Methodist Chaplain for a little while and then we had a Catholic Chaplain

Did you call them both "Padre"?

Congress  shall make no law  respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Key phrase being “make no law”.

21 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Congress  shall make no law  respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Actually I believe the key phrase is CONGRESS shall make no law.

So, technically, the state of Louisiana could make Catholism the state religion, and not allow any other to be practiced.

Or Miami could make Voodoo the official religion of the city, and have their own version of the Spanish Inquisition, putting Methodists and Lutherans to the auto-da-fé.

The Severn River Naval School for Boys and Girls has been going downhill for umpteen years now. They have no standards, no discipline, and thanks to John Dalton, no honor. Call me sexist if you like, cause I don't care, but the slide started with the admission of the little girls  in 1976. Since then, standards, traditions, and performance have disappeared.

PF

42 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Congress  shall make no law  respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof seems to be overlooked quite often these days. 

My comment is not in reference to what the academies are doing; rather, the stories we hear about coaches being fired for praying, or kids being booted off teams... kids being told they're not allowed to pray in school.  Heck ~ that's the only way I survived high school!

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Did you call them both "Padre"?

Nope. The Methodist Chaplain was called  “Lieutenant Commander”. The Catholic Chaplain was “Commander.” :D

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Congress  shall make no law  respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof seems to be overlooked quite often these days. 

My comment is not in reference to what the academies are doing; rather, the stories we hear about coaches being fired for praying, or kids being booted off teams... kids being told they're not allowed to pray in school.  Heck ~ that's the only way I survived high school!

The key is Congress making a law. Which they don’t do. They just ignore the stuff that’s going on.

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

When I still wore a uniform EVERY clergy man or woman, regardless of religion or gender was called Padre.

Don't know what has happened since 1978.

We always called protestant clergy Padre however, we called catholic clergy Father.

18 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Satanic sailors?

What is wrong with the Navy??

Air Force academy too, as I recall. :angry:

I'm here UB, what'dya need?

Sorry, from the title, I thought you were calling me by my SASS alias.

22 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When I was in boot camp we were all informed that there might be a very good chance the only clergy available might be a Rabbi, a Priest, any variation of Protestant or maybe none at all. There were no guarantees regarding religion and there were no rights, period. You could list your religious preference on your dog tags but that didn’t mean squat if you were going to meet your maker “Last Rights” if requested, might just be performed by a Rabbi or a Baptist. No guarantees. 
On my ship we had a Methodist Chaplain for a little while and then we had a Catholic Chaplain. There were only a handful of Catholics aboard. Everyone liked the Chaplains. They were nice guys. No one bitzed or complained and there sure wasn’t anyone griping that their needs weren’t met.  

All that’s well known and a given....foxholes are non-denominational.  However, I don’t believe that many want to leap into a foxhole with the devil.  That chaplain might not make it.

23 hours ago, Alpo said:

So, technically, the state of Louisiana could make Catholism the state religion, and not allow any other to be practiced.

Or Miami could make Voodoo the official religion of the city, and have their own version of the Spanish Inquisition, putting Methodists and Lutherans to the auto-da-fé.

Probably not.

I am not a lawyer or a Constitutional scholar.  But remember the Heller Decision "incorporated" the Second Amendment down to the state level; most of the rest of the Bill of Rights has already been incorporated by the Due Process clause of the 14th Amendment.

Copied from Wikipedia article on "Incorporation of the Bill of Rights":

"The incorporation of the Bill of Rights (also called incorporation for short) is the process by which American courts have applied portions of the U.S. Bill of Rights to the states. This has been done through the Due Process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.[1] Before 1925, the Bill of Rights was held only to apply to the federal government. Under the incorporation doctrine, most provisions of the Bill of Rights now also apply to the state and local governments."

So it sounds like no state can expect to take away any of the Bill of Rights.  At least that's my understanding.  More knowledgable folks should please chime in.

On 11/1/2019 at 7:41 PM, Alpo said:

I think there might be an issue under the 14th Amendment there......

LL

On 11/1/2019 at 7:54 PM, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

The Severn River Naval School for Boys and Girls has been going downhill for umpteen years now. They have no standards, no discipline, and thanks to John Dalton, no honor. Call me sexist if you like, cause I don't care, but the slide started with the admission of the little girls  in 1976. Since then, standards, traditions, and performance have disappeared.

PF

PF, I was wondering when you’d weigh in.

The Hudson counterpart hasn’t done much better.  They had a cadet advocating armed Communist revolution and still let him graduate.  It took the 10th Mountain Division to finally give him the boot with an Other Than Honorable discharge.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/06/19/us-army-boots-west-point-officer-who-touted-communism-during-graduation/713286002/

Very little shocks me any more, including a satanic worship room.

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

PF, I was wondering when you’d weigh in.

The Hudson counterpart hasn’t done much better.  They had a cadet advocating armed Communist revolution and still let him graduate.  It took the 10th Mountain Division to finally give him the boot with an Other Than Honorable discharge.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/06/19/us-army-boots-west-point-officer-who-touted-communism-during-graduation/713286002/

Very little shocks me any more, including a satanic worship room.

At my age, I'm beyond being shocked.

I am frequently disappointed however. And often aggravated.

What's the next thing take out "In God we Trust"? and substitute Trust Someone.

I can't take the snowflake, everyone is a winner, you hurt my feelings thinking.  Are we making warriors or cry babies in the military.  When I was in combat I wanted to know that the guy next to me had my back like I had his.  

Archived