SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun reloading supplies

Dollar Bill Charlie

Wads are easy to buy online since they are lightweight.  I buy mine from a local, big box retailer or buy them online combined with other purchases.  Try to buy shot locally as it is expensive to ship.  Check with local clays ranges as they know where to shop locally or may have some to sell for members.  FYI, if you plan to load low recoil SG shells it is worth reloading.  If you just want to bust clays or are willing to shoot common shotgun target loads there is little money to be saved.  Blackpowder shotgun shells are another matter.  You really must reload them.

BPI has most everything you need, they often offer half or no hazmat fee for primers and powder Like Mr. Canby said try to find some local shooters that buy shot in quantity, right now I'm using reclaimed one of our shooters found. BPI also has a good selection of short shell wads that are great for Black Powder. The 072SSW is my fav for 1 1/8oz loads;). The Helix Drivers are good for 1oz and 7/8oz loads, don't forget Win Pink.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Short-Shell-Wad-12ga-250_bag/productinfo/072SSW/

Here's a couple more, Good Luck:)

http://www.conniescomponents.com/

https://recobstargetshop.com/

It might make matters easier if you said where you lived. There is a shop here in Indianapolis that has everything you need including shot, but I doubt you want to ship 25 bags of it.

try ballistic products , you can get what you want thru them very conveniently , i get most of my stuff there , always treated great -

https://www.google.com/search?q=ballistic+products&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS559US561&oq=ballistic+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.6551j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I have all the equipment and materials and won't load smokeless loads.  The cost of components are too close to buying loaded. Especially if you shop around and stock up when on sale.

The Claybuster wads should be available locally unless you live WAY back off the beaten trail. 

Shot is going to have to be a local buy.  I always buy reclaimed but new is often not much higher.  Jest network at the range and well equipped gunshops. 

1 hour ago, Dollar Bill Charlie said:

I live in metro Atlanta, have not been able to find the wads or shot locally, even Cabelas does not have the wads, can special order the shot.  

Midway USA, Brownells, and Optics Planet and Rogers sporting goods all carry them. The trick is to catch them on sale with free shipping.

If you watch sales you can buy Federal Top Gun Extra Lite Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 7/8 oz #8 shells or Here are REMINGTON GUN CLUB 12ga 2.75d 1-1/8 1145fps #7.5 250/cs on sale for about $6.00 a box with free shipping. This is close to what it will cost you to load them not counting your time.

How to find great deal on ammo. AmmoSeek

I Google Map Atlanta and it looks like they have indoor ranges and training pretty well covered. I did hit on a place north of Atlanta that carries reloading supplies.   Maybe give them a call.

https://www.northgeorgiareloading.com/reloading-supplies

Here is where I would buy the wads.  But it's just 20 minutes north of us.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/24724

8 hours ago, Dollar Bill Charlie said:

I live in metro Atlanta, have not been able to find the wads or shot locally, even Cabelas does not have the wads, can special order the shot.  

Amazon has all that stuff and priced to include shipping. It may not be the best deal, but they do have it, and you will get it quickly, at least enough to get started before finding other sources.

I haven't found any shot locally that is other than magnum shot. I order "chilled" shot, actually 2% antimony and also referred to by BPI as "Factory". This shot is more dense and is softer than magnum shot. It then is less likely to spray the gallery, especially the timer and spotters, with particles while shooting shotgun targets. I have been hit a number of times, once close to my eye, but I wear saftey glasses with side shields and believe now for good reason. I believe there should be more mention of what type of shot one uses and exactly how targets are designed and hung. They certainly don't all angle toward the ground in all cases. There should also be attention paid to those who shoot peering over regular glasses and then having no effective eye protection.

Dollar Bill Charlie, come to the South River match.  The range carries and sells reloading supplies for a good prices.

Next match is schedule for  Nov 16.  Third Saturday of each month.

Shootin Fox is a great deal for shot, so consider that first, then you can get powder at the range.

I'm finding 209A and 209P primers out of stock everywhere online.
I really do need to find a source for these.

Shipping + Hazmat drives the price of online higher than Sportsman's or the others, especially for a 1 lb bottle.
Shop carefully, or buy the 8# bottles.

I see free shipping from Midway all the time.
Great for wads, but their fine print won't ship lead.
Sportsmans is the same price for 25# as the online places and no shipping charges.

CB0175-12 is the only wad I have found specifically for 3/4 oz loads.
I have the Remington TGT12 wads for 1 oz.
Both are designed for Remington taper hulls such as the Nitro or Gun Club types.

Midway ships powder and primers from separate locations, making you subject to two shipping and HAZMAT fees. I suggest instead going to Powder Valley as first place to check for serious restocking of components. I got Trailboss in 2-pounders and hadn't seen that offered anywhere else. Their site shows 416 boxes of W209 primers in stock. Also showing 14 of the 500 piece bags of pink wads. It's all magnum, but they have shot as well.  I didn't find any mention of exclusions for CA.

AFAIK, there are no CA restriction on reloading supplies.
Same as not smogging motorcycles... it is not on their radar.

Sportsmans offers a few competitive prices on powder, without the shipping and Hazmat additional fees.
I wanted to get by there today, but I had to duke it out with a Win10 upgrade... it won. 
Going back tomorrow, but there is a Sporstmans very close to the client location.

• 3 weeks later...

Just one more, Dollar Bill. As Marauder said, South River Shootists (3rd Saturday) is about the best deal I've seen for both shot & wads. There's also a guy selling out of his truck at good prices usually at the Cherokee Cowboys shoot in Gainesville the 4th Saturday, which is this coming Saturday.

Archived