SASS Wire Forum

Vintage Science Fiction.

Utah Bob #35998

Time to do some treadmill work. Got the tv and blueray mounted and hooked up finally. It bein All Hallow's Eve, I put an appropriate spooky movie in the player.

The Thing From Another World. The original 1951 classic, not the remake gore fests, with Kenneth Tobey and Margaret Sheridan, and of course Marshal Dillon as The Thing. Went a bit over my target time because it's hard to stop watching this Howard Hawks masterpiece. UFO, Mad Scientist, Hot Chick, Hot pilot, great script, and a C-47. I remember having the bejeebers scairt outta me when I first saw it on TV as a youngster. I was glad it didn't snow where we lived.

They don't make 'em like that anymore.

The Thing.jpg

Good choice.  

...follow it with Alien and the first sequel, Aliens.  The only two I can think of where the first sequel was as good or better than the original!

(the others in the series were junk, don’t bother)

There were also some very funny horror gore movies.  I don’t know if they were trying to be funny, but I thought they were.:o

CAT Brules

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Don't watch the remake.  It's  terrible movie.

There are two remakes. Can’t hold a candle to the original.

45 minutes ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

I watched the original Wolf Man, with Lon Chenny. still scares me enough to have a gun on the table by me.

I understood what they meant by “shivers down your spine” when l watched it.

DRACULA!!

My dad watched the original Dracula film at a theater in 1931, when he was a young kid.  Released in February, 1931.

Imagine how unsophisticated people in general were in those times.  Now imagine a young boy, walking home alone, in the dark, in the snow.  Now imagine a terrified kid running his legs off.  :o:o:lol:  He related this to me.

Here’s the original movie trailer from late 1930 or early 1931:

Cat Brules

AND.........

“10 Old Movies Too Disturbing.......”.   

I think I’ll probably avoid these!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN..........

Cat Brules

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Don't watch the remake.  It's  terrible movie.

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There are two remakes. Can’t hold a candle to the original.

John Carpenter’s “The Thing” is an excellent movie as is the first and original. 

9 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Good choice.  

...follow it with Alien and the first sequel, Aliens.  The only two I can think of where the first sequel was as good or better than the original!

(the others in the series were junk, don’t bother)

I saw Alien at Great Lakes Naval Station. The racquetball courts were closed and we needed something inexpensive to do so me and a few buddies went to the movies on base. We had a choice of some lame “chick flick” or some movie none of us had heard of called “Alien”.

I remember commenting how it can’t be too scary, there’s a picture of an egg on the movie poster...:blink:

When my dad was a youngster he walked to a theater to see "Frankenstein".  Scared the daylights out of him.  Walking home, he took out his pocketknife and was carrying it. A big dog came up and reared up to put his paws on my dad's shoulders.  Dad gutted someone's pet right there on the sidewalk.

25 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I remember sitting in my dad's chair with him to watch one of The Mummy movies. At least I didn't have nightmares.

In the mid 80's when my daughter was 6 - 8 years old, we would watch the old horror movies (Frankenstein, Dracula, etc). I would  add commentary (ala Mystery Science Theater 3000) so that it would be a fun experience for her. She enjoyed watching them with me.

Two things I noticed in watching the movie today.

1. Margaret Sheridan’s hairdo was more 40s than 50s.

2. Everybody kept referring to the Air Force as the Army even though the Air Force had been a separate service since 47. 
I reckon Howard Hawks was not fond of change and new things....like color film. ;)

26 minutes ago, MizPete said:

I woke up this morning thinking, for some reason, of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers.'

WHICH ONE?

25 minutes ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  Living in the Mojave Desert and frequently seeing large ant colony mounds, I recall "Them!".  I thrived on '50's black & white sci-fi, if it wasn't too corny.  Loved "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

Both awesome films.!!

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:
4 hours ago, MizPete said:

I woke up this morning thinking, for some reason, of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers.'

WHICH ONE?

Original.  Which led to the remake.

The one that kept me awake at night with the covers pulled over my head was the original "Invaders From Mars."

The much later re-make wasn't bad...

Lots of old scary movies - The Wolf Man 1941, Dracula 1931, Creature from the Black Lagoon 1954, Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956, The Blob 1958, Frankenstein 1931,  all scary when I was a kid. 

The only scary movie that really gave me the creeps though and made me have trouble sleeping was The Haunting 1963 - though I remember it being titled with the name Hill House on tv, from the book The Haunting of Hill House. No monsters or incredible special effects - just a creepy foreboding and haunting - still creepy today. 

Scifi - The Day the Earth Stood Still 1951, The Forbidden Planet 1956, War of the Worlds 1953, Invaders from Mars 1953, King Kong 1933, King Kong vs Godzilla 1962, The Thing 1951. 

Also remember - The Abominable Snowman 1957, Tobor the Great 1954, First Man into Space 1959.

But the most horrifying movie I saw as an adolescent had to be: Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe. Don't watch it. Excellent acting and writing but you will feel the worse for watching it. 

The movie that scared the bejeezus out of me was "The Exorcist". I stayed awake all night, too scared to go to sleep.

Well there’s creepy movies, horror movies, scary movies and science fiction movies.

When I first saw Alien, it was my opinion that it was all of the above rolled into one.

10 hours ago, Raylan said:

only scary movie that really gave me the creeps though and made me have trouble sleeping was The Haunting 1963 - though I remember it being titled with the name Hill House on tv, from the book The Haunting of Hill House.

Same here.   That is one creepy story. 

In my continuing journey through the SyFy classics, this afternoon I watche d a bit of George Pal tecnicolor The Time Machine

Makes exercise somethng to ook forward to. ;)

On 11/1/2019 at 3:13 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

movie none of us had heard of called “Alien”.

I remember commenting how it can’t be too scary

I was just thinking,  "Imagine how intense it would have been if Hitchcock had made it. "

Archived