SASS Wire Forum

Any Wildcatters out there?

Ruff Kut

I have developed an interest in a .357 / 44 Bain & Davis.  Anyone have any experience with them?

thanks,

RK

Howdy Ruff Kut.

I don't have any but I faintly remember some years back that

Shooting Times magazine carried a few articles by their writers.

You might find some good info there.

..........Widder

I vaguely remember a S&W model 27 that shot that round and IIRC it was prone to locking up due to the case setting back.  While it is an interesting wildcat, I can't think of anything it does better than the .357 Magnum except maybe in a rifle, at which point there are tons of better alternatives.  I always thought it would be a neat round for plinking and shooting flys off the front wall of the compound

There for a while in the late 80s it was a pretty popular benchrest round in single shots.  I love BP and bottleneck cartridges so honestly I am always just looking for something new to play with in that arena.

As far as better alternatives in a rifle?  I can't imagine many better alternatives when it comes to getting one to feed.  Getting that .38 cal bullet started into a chamber that is reamed for a .44 mag is about like throwing a BB down a funnel.  

Anyways, I can't leave anything alone.  I like putting the golden screwdriver to everything and am needing a new project.  This just seemed like a pretty simple wildcat that has been well established before and should not be that complicated to pull off.

If not that, then a .300 AAC / .357 would make a sweet little .30 cal bottleneck round!

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/05/09/interesting-300-aac-blk-357-wildcat/

Ruff Kut,

I also think its a good project for you.

Another project to consider would be the 9 x 25 Dillon.   Its basically a 9mm in a neckdown 10mm case.

You could almost consider it a little brother of a .357/44 Bain & Davis.

..........Widder

Archived