SASS Wire Forum

Spearhead

Utah Bob #35998

I just finished this book. A great account of a 3rd Armored Division tank crew, and one particular crewman, during the drive throughEurope in the last months of WW2.  
Some of you may have seen the film shot by a combat cameraman of the fight between a German Panzer and a US M26 Pershing in the streets of Cologne. The only footage I ever saw of an actual tank shootout. Usually the only film you see is the aftermath when the cameramen come in after the battle. This book chronicles the fighting leading up to this event and then the subsequent battles until Germany’s surrender.

Clarence Smoyer, the gunner in the Pershing, gave the author a first hand account of the campaign from his perspective. It’s a terrific narrative, full of detailed descriptions of soldiers, anecdotes, and events both from the American and German viewpoints. 
I was surprised to find it in our library as it’s a brand new book. If you are a student of military history, or just enjoy a gripping true story, I recommend picking this one up.

B91F4A89-647C-428E-991B-5EC2C2F2B1AE.jpeg

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Some of you may have seen the film shot by a combat cameraman of the fight between a German Panzer and a US M26 Pershing in the streets of Cologne.

Here's a link to the video on Youtube.

Fantastic book.  Spoke about it to one of our shooters, and he said his father was a truck driver in the 3rd Armored.  His Dad never got over General Rose being killed, even many years later.

1 hour ago, Shotgun Clay said:

Fantastic book.  Spoke about it to one of our shooters, and he said his father was a truck driver in the 3rd Armored.  His Dad never got over General Rose being killed, even many years later.

MGEN Maurice Rose was one of the best tank commanders in the Army.  He tended to lead from the front.  Unfortunately, he outran his lead elements in his jeep and ran into an SS Panzer unit.  He was about to surrender when an SS leutnant shot him dead!  Rose Hospital in Denver, Colorado, is named after him (he was a Denver native), and there is a small gallery in the lobby honoring him.  He was the highest ranking general officer KIA during WWII.  :FlagAm:

My wife saw that I finished it in a few evenings. “It must be good” she says. All I said was “Yup”. 
She read the info inside the cover. Flipped through the pages. Took into the living room. Now she’s reading it! And she very rarely reads my military or history books!

Now here’s a WWII book I cannot recommend at all. Many of the incidents told are suspect at best. Many very critical reviews from the members of his own division. BS was one phrase used frequently. Unlike most personal accounts of the war, or any war, this author barely mentions the men he served with and barely remembers them. “My squad was not a closely bonded unit”, he writes. “ In fact, I would be hard pressed to name them”. Huh? You lived with these guys, saw them bleed and die and can’t even name them? 
The book started out with a negative vibe and didn’t improve.

The author became a journalist after the war. Perhaps in the vein of Brian Williams and Geraldo Rivera? 
Nope. Avoid this one.

656909C2-B473-4E8C-8C93-BAE6136A0523.jpeg

Clevenet has both Higher Call (have it on hold for me, soon as it's available I'll get it!) and they have Spearhead.

It's downloaded into my mini iPad, the one that's old enough it won't update any more.

Still makes a good reader!

Archived