SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a Drover long coat with a full arm liner

Oklahoma Dee

Yup!  That first cool front is in here in Houston and I am still cold!  :D

I have an Australian drover long coat with a inside liner, but it does not go inside the arms.  I am tired of my arms, then my wrists and then my hands getting colder as the match goes along. 

Yes, I do use hand warmers in the pockets, I am really needing my arms to be more protected and warmer!

Should you have any advise as to where I might purchase one with a full liner that goes into the arm areas, please post here.

Many thanks,

Oklahoma Dee

Maybe have a tailor or seamstress sew sleeves or storm sleeve cuffs into the one you have?  You can get a line on seamstresses from your dry cleaners; they  keep them on retainer to repair clothes damaged during cleaning.

Have you tried Long John's? 

Costco sells very light and cheap ones that do keep a person warm.  I wear them doubled up almost all winter.  For $5/pair, you can't go too far wrong

I do own and have worn an Outback Oilskin duster (unlined).

When the temps drop, though, I pull out my genuine US Navy pea-coat (sized extra-long to cover my pistols).

Worn over a wool Cattle Baron vest from Schaefer, I've not been uncomfortable.

Be careful is shopping for pea coats.  I see quite a few that are marked as surplus/used that are NOT official US Navy pea coats.

"Colonel Savage asked the old Indian how he could keep from freezing in nothing but a couple draped rabbit skins.  The old Indian asked Colonel savage, "Does you face get cold"?  The Colonel looked puzzled and replied, "Well, no".  The old Indian smiled and responded, "I am all face". 

4 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Not exactly a duster, but have you considered a capote?

Hey now, that is a great possible idea!  Thanks Chief Rick.

6 minutes ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

I have no affiliation or dealings with the company but was looking hard at these when I managed to get a great deal on my extra-long Navy pea coat.

Good wool feels great in the winter-time.

Visit a bicycle shop & look at some arm warmers (wear under coat). Much cheaper than a new coat. Easy on -- easy off. 

Pearl Izumi is a good brand.

Nah.  Skip the above.  Whatcha need is a Military Field Jacket Liner.  They have long sleeves and install with buttons.  Or skip the buttons.  Shouldn't be too hard to find.

6 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Maybe have a tailor or seamstress sew sleeves or storm sleeve cuffs into the one you have?  You can get a line on seamstresses from your dry cleaners; they  keep them on retainer to repair clothes damaged during cleaning.

Me and the wife talked about this very thing.  Looking into it.  Thank you J_BAR

22 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Nah.  Skip the above.  Whatcha need is a Military Field Jacket Liner.  They have long sleeves and install with buttons.  Or skip the buttons.  Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Bingo!  Thanks Colorado Coffinmaker

I have a drover with a fleece liner but the liner does not have sleeves. I just put on a long sleeve sweater under the coat--the key to surviving a match in reasonable comfort is layers. I peel off the overcoat when it's close to my turn to shoot, then retrieve it after clearing all my guns.  And, as I learned as a Scouter, polypropylene underwear (Patagonia is a good brand) goes a long way to keep you dry and warm.  

5 hours ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

Don't forget to add pockets as they were not normally on the "period"  capote .  Sassy has a capote looking much like the Fringed Witney posted at suggested site. We bought it from Hipshot and I bet Blue Eyes misses it when cold.   Sassy finds it very warm but the lack of pockets is nuisance.  I believe mittens attached together with long piece of material and worn around neck was used by mountain-men and such back in that period.  I have e-mailed the site posted by C Rick inquiring about such an item. 

Good luck.  

just haw cold is it in texas these days ? we have been just above freezing this week are going below next week , im still seeing folks in shorts - but then im always cold blooded , im wearing my fall jackets amnd will continue to till it dips below zero , then i break out the down parka 

i was thinking a fleece liner might be fitted to do what you need this time of year , its covered and not all that visible - they work well under the common overwear 

Howdy Dee...I do the fleece thing up here in Michigan...Turned winter over nite...30's in the day and 20's at nite. Eleanor and I won't be down till Jan. so try and warm it up a little by then....Happy Holidays to you and the Mrs.

Take Care

Faygo

On 11/1/2019 at 6:44 PM, Faygo Kid, SASS # 26408 said:

Howdy Dee...I do the fleece thing up here in Michigan...Turned winter over nite...30's in the day and 20's at nite. Eleanor and I won't be down till Jan. so try and warm it up a little by then....Happy Holidays to you and the Mrs.

Take Care

Faygo

Thanks Kid!  Ordered one.  Stay safe and see you all soon.

You may wish to consider the 

“Australian Outback Duster $50“

for sale right now in the SASS Classifieds.

Cat Brules

Archived