SASS Wire Forum

Uberti '73 rifle with no loading gate??

Totes Magoats

You guessed it, it's a '73 chambered in .22LR.  I picked it up from a another cowboy at our last match.  It's marked Uberti and imported by Allen F.A. MFG, so appears to pre-date Cimarron Arms (not 100%).

24" Octagon barrel, CCH and straight grip stock.  It's appeared untouched with very few rounds through it.

Upon inspection on my bench, almost everything seems to be the same internally as the centerfire calibers.  I swapped out the mainspring and lifter/lever springs and it really lightened up the action.  The Carrier is different of course and has a flat spring shell stop (for lack of a better term) to accommodate the shorter .22 LR round and of course the firing pin hole in the bolt is at the bottom since it's a rimfire.

MY QUESTIONS:

1. Has anyone short stroked one of these (seems a Gen5 kit would work/fit fine)
  2. How rare are these, this is first one I have seen
  3. Any history on these or idea how old it is?  I can't find anything on the Interwebs
  4. In the picture below, there are 2 additional screws on the left side of the receiver, I assume they are for a safety?  anyone know? The larger one is flush with the inside of the receiver, the smaller one protrudes into the receiver but down not screw into anything internally.

73-22.jpg

Allen Firearms of Santa Fe, NM was (an) importer of these.   I've seen one owned by a local shooter.  Even heavier than the normal '73.

I believe Allen Firearms was handling these in the late 1990s and early 2000s.   Sorry, can't get much more specific.  The local shooter bought his, I believe new, about 2004.

They were a small lot run by Uberti.  Rare by buyer standards or rare by collectors standards?    It is hard to find one to buy.   Don't think collectors have a large interest in them since they are "modern" rather than "original".  "Kinda expensive for a .22" is probably why Uberti quit making them.

Should be able to find the Italian proof house year code on the barrel (two letters, usually bottom of barrel covered by the handguard).   Then look those letters up here:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=73492

is one place to find the date codes.

Good luck, GJ

6 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Should be able to find the Italian proof house year code on the barrel (two letters, usually bottom of barrel covered by the handguard).   Then look those letters up here:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=73492

Thanks GJ,

I see AL, the linked info puts it at 1983.

IMG_3614.jpg

Your 2 mystery screws look awfull close to where the saddle ring would be on a carbine      GW

Totes, I saw that rifle on the table.  Looked nice and price looked pretty good.  I thought about it, but not for long, too many other things on the wish list. 

Abilene,

I took it out and shot it yesterday, it's a tack driver.  If I can get it short-stroked, it's gonna be really fun to shoot.  It's the same barrel as the .357/.45 so it's heavy with just the material for the .22 bore hole removed.  :)

Totes

20 minutes ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

If it is an 1983 DOM it will most likely have the small diameter link pins.

Must be my lucky day!  I just pulled the C&I Gen 4 links out of my match rifle and they fit fine; same size pins.

Looks like I should be able to short stroke it.

I did notice there is a very, very slight bend in the firing pin and it does appear to be a different size.  May have trouble finding one of those.

Totes

Firing pin design, if like the centerfire 73s, is trivial to have turned out of tool steel.

Good luck, GJ

Archived