SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger IGA

Red Cent

A leather customer of mine recently acquired a SxS that is so so on the outside with excellent chambers and, mechanically, is in great condition. . The shotgun was missing the fore end and had been stashed in a closet for years. I purchased a fore end from a member here (good guy-no blame there) that fits very snug but I have a problem. The barrels will not drop far enough to insert the 12 gauge rounds. 

SInce the IGA/Stoeger was made in Brazil by Armentino, could the fore end be a current manufactured part and not match?

We want to make the shotgun functional, not race tuned.

Any worldly experience out there? 

Check to be sure the lower rear edge of the fore end iron is not contacting the bottom of the receiver, preventing the gun from opening further. The next thing I would check is that the gun will actually cock the hammers without the fore end attached. You should be able to push them against a hard table edge to cock. Don't use the dining room table, but the edge of a workbench should do fine.

You will probably have to "blue-print" the gun to see where it is too tight.

Here is a picture of the parts:

stoeger-points.jpg

The part you will work on is on the right of course.  Use smoke or something similar to "mark" the parts, then put it together and the smoke will be worn off where it needs to be corrected. 

Here is a good video in general, but it does not specifically address the different parts issue:

^This^^    is excellent!

Those guns are not made to fit together perfectly and interchangeably right off the Brazilian machine tools.  There's hand fitting at the factory to match the fore end iron to the frame.   You are lucky that there is metal left to take off, and not iron having been fitted to a frame that was "oversize" so that your new fore end would be too small to fit correctly.

Good luck, GJ

Archived