SASS Wire Forum

truck winches

I don’t know.

But, close yer eyes.  Now, pikchur yer ass in 108+ degree temp, stuck in the sand, miles from anywhere, no cell, only 2 quarts of water, your only salvation being a huge mesquite bush to tie off to, your winch with that fiber rope and jet fighter-bombers from China Lake (who don’t care) repeatedly breaking the sound barrier overhead as they make practice bomb-runs over yer vehicle.  But, wait!  You do have wire rope on your winch! 

A couple hours later, your wire rope hangs on to the sturdy mesquite and you’re back in business.  

Maybe the fiber line line will do the trick, but likely not in anything other than straight-pull situations.  I’d let someone else test-dummy those real-life situations.

Cat Brules

I changed out from cable to synthetic cable, it is a braided Kevlar strand.  Works very well and does not cut your hands. I was convinced to try it by my brother in law who fishes commercially in Alaska and simply said you’ll never go back to steel.  He was right, but it isn’t inexpensive.

The synthetic lines work well.  The UV doesn’t seem to affect strength.  You don’t need gloves to handle the line.  The line is easier to work.  If the line did snap, tie a knot and keep going, try that with wire.  The manufacturer claims a higher test for the synthetic line over the wire.  You can fit a longer synthetic line on the same winch drum because the line is thinner.  You don’t have to respool the synthetic line after or during a winchout, it is not particular to how it sits on the drum like wire.  

Cons:

UV does fade the color.  When converting an existing winch, the fairlead and maybe the drum need replaced if the cable has knarled them.  The synthetic line can be harder to break free when ice builds up on the drum, especially if you don’t have hammer access to the winch.  I’ve known a few guys who broke the synthetic line at the hook.  When the synthetic line snapped back at the machine, it wasn’t a big deal.  When wire rope snaps without a damper, watch out.  I’ve seen many more wire ropes break than synthetic.  Not sure if it is a proportional number to the population of lines out there.  

I’ve been running synthetic lines on my winches for years without problems.  Typically buying the winch with wire installed, then spooling the synthetic line myself.  Coil the wire rope and take it along as an extension.  The current synthetic is the longest in use line I’ve had, starting it’s sixth year.  

Stay with the steel cable.

The fiber rope frays easily, and just doesn't last in off-road use.

If the fiber rope was any good-Then why don't the tow trucks use it?

My 1977 era Warn 8274 winch on my 1985 Jeep CJ-7, is still run'n it's original 150' of steel cable.

I wouldn't use fiber rope if you gave it to me..........

OLG

Archived