SASS Wire Forum

I know it was evil of me to do this.....

Many years ago, as I took my laundry out of the dryer and paired up the socks and found that I had an unmatched sock, I threw the loner into a drawer. It came to pass that the drawer of loners filled. Sometimes I would just grab two of them to wear but I never went through it to find pairs. I asked my daughter to do this.  I brought to her a uhaul medium box 18x18x16 a little over full with stray socks.  She is to be nominated for sainthood for addressing this task. She returned to me a box 3/4 full of sock pairs and admitted that there might be a mix of black socks with a blue green stripe erroneously matched with black and light blue strip.  There was also a bag of maybe 100 Sox with no mates. Maybe they do match the matched socks but I don’t allow threesomes in my sock drawer.

so what’s evil you astutely ask?  I took this bag of 100 or so unmatched socks and tossed it into the Salvation Army donation box.

3 minutes ago, Sagebrush Burns, SASS # 14226 said:

doncha know that the unmatched socks return as Tupperware lids with no container

I learned this from a chef many years ago. Use deli tubs as your Tupperware.  Quarter, half, three quarter and quarts all use the same lid. So cheap you never have to go back to get them.AND I have enough to last the rest of my grandson’s.

When Sassparilla Kid was about five or so I got tired of trying to match up the white socks with the colored stripes.  Since he always wore short pants they had to match.

So one day I just tossed all his socks, went to town and bought five dozen white socks with no stripes.  Dumped 'em all into a drawer - no matching required!  "Kid - when ya want a pair of socks, just grab two!  ANY two!"  

Worked so well I did the same thing for myownself ~ but with in black.  :)

59 minutes ago, Sagebrush Burns, SASS # 14226 said:

doncha know that the unmatched socks return as Tupperware lids with no container

I have about two dozen containers and maybe half don't have lids.  Sounds like merger time to me.

7 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

When Sassparilla Kid was about five or so I got tired of trying to match up the white socks with the colored stripes.  Since he always wore short pants they had to match.

So one day I just tossed all his socks, went to town and bought five dozen white socks with no stripes.  Dumped 'em all into a drawer - no matching required!  "Kid - when ya want a pair of socks, just grab two!  ANY two!"  

Worked so well I did the same thing for myownself ~ but with in black.  :)

I do the same. All white. I do have a couple pair of black for dress up occasions. 

When I need new socks, I toss the lot and buy all new. 

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

so what’s evil you astutely ask?  I took this bag of 100 or so unmatched socks and tossed it into the Salvation Army donation box.

The joke’s on you. The Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc. do not give out or sell donated used socks or underwear. 

Most of the charities bundle and sell all the cloth deemed not salable for scrap weight. I was raised and believe that socks are the larval form of coat hangers.

Imis

57 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Well, they are out of luck...I don't wear socks or underwear!:D

TMI, Sammy!!  TMI!!!!  :lol:

I wear cowboy boots.   Who cares if my socks match.        GW

The big question still is "Where do the lost socks go"? After living in our last house for 23 years and throwing out way too many single socks, we figured for sure when we moved we would find the wayward socks. Nope, completely emptied that house: even took the washer and dryer apart to clean for the new people. Found some change, but not even one single sock. They must be floating like a giant lint ball in space I guess!

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

The big question still is "Where do the lost socks go"? After living in our last house for 23 years and throwing out way too many single socks, we figured for sure when we moved we would find the wayward socks. Nope, completely emptied that house: even took the washer and dryer apart to clean for the new people. Found some change, but not even one single sock. They must be floating like a giant lint ball in space I guess!

They are in

BDC43C22-50D7-4695-9D6E-F2A5836F6DB4.jpeg

3 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Are you all telling me lone socks are not underwear?  I was sure they were the male version of a thong

Depends on how big.... never mind.:blink:

As for my socks, I'm with Hardpan. Walmart, Hanes, bag of 6 or 8 pair, repeat as necessary. If you do need to toss one, the rest still match. And next time you toss one, your back to even pair.

Archived