SASS Wire Forum

NCIS 1911

Was re-watching the second NCIS episode where Ziva returns.  The character Gibbs, after his father died, started using his late father's 1911 instead of the federal issued plastic gun from before.  Thought this was nice touch, then tonight I see him clearing a house with his 1911 out but with hammer down.  Then at the end after the big shootout his hammer is still down right after his last shot.   Where is their weapons technical adviser?

There is little authenticity in Hollywood gun action!!  I see sequences where they are practicing at a range and every shot corresponds with characters blinking their eyes!  Then they have the lack of knowledge to show the resulting target with some great pattern!!  BOLONEY!!!

It goes way back to the old westerns when they got 10 or 12 shots from their Colts!!

I frequently see TV and movie characters using Glocks and the trigger is in the depressed/fired position. This is only possible with an empty chamber. Oops.

In two recent action movies with a lot of gun play there are two scenes using assault type rifles where the actions are open revealing an empty chamber/empty magazine. As the characters are headed into a gunfight with an obviously empty rifle, oops oops!

17 hours ago, SaukValley Sam, SASS # 66557 said:

Where is their weapons technical adviser?

Wondered that myself.

When they get to work they always take the gun off, UNLOAD it, and stick it in the desk drawer. They unload it by simply removing the magazine. Either they carry with an empty chamber, or they are among the vast group of idiots that think that taking the magazine out renders the gun safe.

When Ziva first showed up, Gibbs had her disarm. She draws her automatic, removes the magazine, and hands it to him. Does not clear the chamber. He tells her he wants her backup. She takes a J-frame off of her ankle, opens the cylinder, and hands that to him. Does not dump the cylinder.

And while I could vaguely see the sense of removing your gun that is holstered at your waist, when you are going to be sitting at a desk for a while, when Tony would wear a shoulder holster he would still put his pistol in the drawer.:wacko:

In The World is Not Enough Pierce Brosnan's James Bond shot bad girl Sophie Marceau dead using a 1911 with the hammer down. He then chased after the bad guy and boarded his submarine, where his Colt 1911 suddenly became a Springfield or Auto Ordnance with NO sights on it. Things like this don't just happen with firearms. My dad was a huge airplane nerd and it would drive him crazy when the hero could just jump in a jet plane, flip a few switches, and quickly take off like he was driving a car.

I was watching one of the cop/FBI/Homeland Security type shows the other night.  They were breeching a factory entrance.  Not one of the "assault weapons" had a magazine in it!!  I reckon maybe they had one in the chamber and figured that was enough!!

I changed channels...

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I frequently see TV and movie characters using Glocks and the trigger is in the depressed/fired position. This is only possible with an empty chamber. Oops.

In two recent action movies with a lot of gun play there are two scenes using assault type rifles where the actions are open revealing an empty chamber/empty magazine. As the characters are headed into a gunfight with an obviously empty rifle, oops oops!

And when the Glocks run dry, they go click click several times. Then they throw em.  :lol:

Alas, most citizens and all the lefties in Congress gained their extensive firearms knowledge from Hollywood. :wacko:

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And when the Glocks run dry, they go click click several times. Then they throw em.  :lol:

Yeah, I notice that too. Kind of reminds me of the old Superman series. And Superman always ducked. :lol:

In range scenes with tv leos a lot of the time the targets when shown actually are pretty bad. Unless they're trying to put a hit on every part of the target. Usually another officer will walk in and the reaction is as if the target showed great shooting.

8 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Unless they're trying to put a hit on every part of the target.

At least, that's what I've learned in the military with my SIG 550, always put a hammer (double tap) on the target with the shots spread to increase damage. I assume it depends on the firearm, e.g. 20 rounds 9mm semi vs. 6 shot revolver, on how you place your holes. But I have absolutely no clue about LEO training, so.... :unsure:

13 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I do that with mine quite often...:D

14 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They've been doing that in westerns for years!!!

And the character shooting a revolver and they dub in the sound of empty cases hitting the floor after every shot...

Or in Westworld where the robot heroine blasts away with her Colt SAA without ever cocking the hammer...

Also, the close up of a person holding a revolver when it's obvious that there are no cartridges in the cylinders.

Throwing the empty gun reminds me of the guy throwing away his empty canteen while crossing the desert cause he knows he won't come across any water where he might fill it to continue his journey and the weight of the canteen is just too much to bear.

In Saving Private Ryan there is more than one scene where the linked ammo belts being carried or worn do not have primers in any of the individual rounds. Oops.

If the worst thing that you can find to criticize  on NCIS is the hammer position on Gibbs gun then you are not paying attention. The other NCIS spin-offs are even worse 

I don't watch television for the reality of it!!  I watch to be entertained!!  Noticing faults and foibles is part of the entertainment!!  I like the John Wick movies, but I don't take them seriously.

3 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

If the worst thing that you can find to criticize  on NCIS is the hammer position on Gibbs gun then you are not paying attention. The other NCIS spin-offs are even worse 

I tried to watch the TV remake of Lethal Weapon, and the gunplay in that was so comically fake I stopped watching after just a couple of episodes. There's nothing more pathetic than some actor playing a hardcore badass to be reckoned with when he can't even hold or use a gun properly.

Archived