SASS Wire Forum

Tetanus shot question

Alpo

Last week I stepped on a nail. Next day I went to the doctor for a tetanus shot. The nurse asked if I was right or left handed. Said that "sometimes" there was pain.

So he stabbed me in my left shoulder. Two days later my shoulder started to hurt.

I went to the doctor Friday, the pain showed up Sunday, and this is Tuesday. Nine days later.

Feels like somebody frogged me in the shoulder.

It's been so long since I had a shot of any kind, and my last tetanus shot was in junior high school, so I honestly don't remember.

Are they supposed to leave this dull ache? Is this normal? It's not in any way incapacitating. It just - hurts.

I would go see your doctor. 

A little soreness might be normal for a couple of days, especially if you don’t exercise the muscles near the injection area. 

Pain is caused by an inflammatory reaction from your immune system; evidence that you are manufacturing a whole bunch of antibodies and developing immunity to the disease.  Be glad that the vaccine is doing its job.

Keeping your Dr. informed is always good advice, but in the absence of other symptoms (fever, drainage, abscess, etc.) this sounds normal.  

Have you tried icing it? I always get shots in my left shoulder because I primarily sleep on my Right side. Got my flu shot a couple weeks ago and got too hurting the next day. Iced it for 20 minutes and it went away. 

Wait'll ya get the new first-of-two Shingles shots... THAT one hurts!  :lol:

And I haven't heard the term "frogged" since I was a kid!  ^_^

I'm normal for me.

It's like when they tell me I'm running a little bit of fever. I have to explain to them that MY normal temperature is 99.1.

It does not matter that HUMAN normal is 98.6 - MY normal is 99.1.

So I am normal.

I'm just not the same as the rest of you.

Raspberry.gif

Maybe they figured a 65 year old man would object to pulling his britches down.

And my case they'd have figured right. Dropping my pants woulda showed my gun. Don't need to freak out the sheep.

I can just visualize the nurse running from the room screaming, "he's got a gun", and the cops being called for an active shooter.

One of the first times I went to the NP I go to, I took my ccw firearm out of it's holster and left it in the truck but left the holster tucked IWB.  My NP noticed it and said ""you can wear it (the gun) in here if you want to--it doesn't bother us.

Her husband was a gun nut just like me and her nurse use to shoot black powder 50 cal breech loaders and split bullets on axe blades at 50 yards.  Talk about a gun-friendly medical facility!!!  No sheep in that office..

Dr. O. R.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:52 PM, Alpo said:

Are they supposed to leave this dull ache? Is this normal? It's not in any way incapacitating. It just - hurts.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:28 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

He hit a nerve.

When I had stitches in my wrist removed, the doctor pulled a nerve. It was incapacitating for 20 minutes.

20 hours ago, Alpo said:

I'm normal for me.

It's like when they tell me I'm running a little bit of fever. I have to explain to them that MY normal temperature is 99.1.

It does not matter that HUMAN normal is 98.6 - MY normal is 99.1.

So I am normal.

I'm just not the same as the rest of you.

Raspberry.gif

My normal has always been 97.n

11 hours ago, Dr. O. R. Vet said:

One of the first times I went to the NP I go to, I took my ccw firearm out of it's holster and left it in the truck but left the holster tucked IWB.  My NP noticed it and said ""you can wear it (the gun) in here if you want to--it doesn't bother us.

Her husband was a gun nut just like me and her nurse use to shoot black powder 50 cal breech loaders and split bullets on axe blades at 50 yards.  Talk about a gun-friendly medical facility!!!  No sheep in that office..

Dr. O. R.

When I got my second pair of shooting glasses, the pair in my avatar, my doctor was a trap shooter. Definitely gun-friendly too.

Archived