SASS Wire Forum

Year that Uberti Changed 1866 Lever Safety and Carrier Size?

Palouse

I'd like to know the year that Uberti last made 1866 Winchester replicas with the trigger disconnect feature, sometimes called "lever safety" or/and two-piece trigger. 

My commemorative 1866 has the safety, edit: "AD", 1978. but can't find a proof date stamp above or below the stock line.

From web references, might be that Uberti changed the carrier length from 1.5" to 1.6".  (I get 1.58" OAL 44-40 to cycle nicely, however.) My barrel groove diameter is between 0.4265" and 0.4270", the change going instead to 0.4285" groove.  Obviously, the lever lock was added and flat spot on the lever for the safety tab removed at time of transition. 

I don't intend to reopen the lever safety debate, no SS kit options debate, rather just want to know the actual date for reference purposes.  Thanks.

EDIT: Addressing McCandless' good point to call Uberti:  Uberti USA does not know.  It is a pre-USA Uberti question.  Sent email to Uberti Italy, asking for dates of lever, carrier, and bolt changes.  More to follow. Not sure there was a carrier length change.  VTI parts retailer could not help.

Best to contact Uberti, USA through their website.  (Their phone numbers are there, too)  https://www.uberti-usa.com/contact-us

I don't remember the year, but I believe it was within the 4-digit serial number range.  The 5-digit was in the early 2000's so it would be before that.

14 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Best to contact Uberti, USA through their website.  (Their phone numbers are there, too)  https://www.uberti-usa.com/contact-us

I don't remember the year, but I believe it was within the 4-digit serial number range.  The 5-digit was in the early 2000's so it would be before that.

Yes, it's prior to 2000.  I had a carbine with the lever safety, around '97 or '98.

51 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

PS serial # 21XXX date code 1958 (AA)

What's your groove diameter and carrier length?  The bore/carrier/lever changes may not have happened all at the same time.  My Italian date code reference has "AA" as proofed in 1975.  "XIV" would be 1958. 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, McCandless said:

Hi McCandles, I have an OLD Uberti 1866, the serial number is 5 digits and has the lever safety. I purchased it in the mid 80's so your "5 digit early 2000's" is a bust.

35 minutes ago, blazeafar SASS # 6750 said:

Hi McCandles, I have an OLD Uberti 1866, the serial number is 5 digits and has the lever safety. I purchased it in the mid 80's so your "5 digit early 2000's" is a bust.

I have a 4 digit '66 with a date code of 1993, no lever safety, but has a strain screw.  So the serial numbering is a bit wonky.  Interesting.  

*Edit. I wonder why and when did Uberti do away with the mainspring strain screw? 

Was there a new set of serial numbers for Uberti-USA?

22 minutes ago, McCandless said:

I have a 4 digit '66 with a date code of 1993, no lever safety, but has a strain screw.  So the serial numbering is a bit wonky.  Interesting.  

*Edit. I wonder why and when did Uberti do away with the mainspring strain screw? 

To add to the confusion, I also have a Uberti 1860 Henry with a 3 digit serial number that I purchased in the early 80's.

30 minutes ago, McCandless said:

I will guess that each of the Uberti importers from the 1960's through late 1990's  had their own serial number ranges and formats: Western Arms, Navy Arms, Cape Outfitters, Mitchell, Replica Arms (?), et al.    Uberti-USA is just another of the more recent importers like EMF, Cimarron, or Taylors.

3 hours ago, Palouse said:

What's your groove diameter and carrier length?  The bore/carrier/lever changes may not have happened all at the same time.  My Italian date code reference has "AA" as proofed in 1975.  "XIV" would be 1958. 

Thanks!

You are correct. I looked at the chart and got the wrong date. The carrier is the short one for the 44/40, I don't know the groove dia.

Doh. "AD".  My '66 made 1978, serial number 376xx.

Bottom of carrier, front to back, 1.53".

My '73 is 1.62", ser 582xx.  It's the '73 not showing a proof date stamp...

Just for grins.  It should be noted, Uberti serial numbers DO NOT follow any set pattern.  Uberti also has not made changes to their rifles "En Masse" in the past.  Changes are incorporated during manufacture runs and changed/improved guns are manufactured simultaneous with previous versions until previous parts run out.  Uberti also DOES NOT support superseded parts.  It is mostly not possible to track dates of manufacture with serial numbers as noted above.  The only method to track date of manufacture is with the date codes stamped on the item.  GOOD LUCK.

Oh, forgot, because of the above, Uberti may not know when a specific change actually took place.

Uberti - IT, (ubertireplicas.it), replied to my email:

"... With regards to your questions, I can only tell you that these various modifications were made before 1994.  We don't have the exact date."

Lever, carrier, and groove diameter changes.  Did not ask about mainspring tensioner.

Also,

Uberti/Navy Arms 1866 #14XX: Proof 1968, safety, carrier length= 1.515", bore

Uberti/Navy Arms 1866 #3XX:  Proof 1967, safety

+1 to CC

Archived