SASS Wire Forum

What's a decent floodlight???

I'm doing some reconstruction at my Cape cottage; one project is new exterior floodlights.

I've been looking at what is available.  I don't want plastic.  And I'm not real crazy about LEDs (energy efficiency is great, but I need more than a dull glow).  My builder suggested Ring units, integrating lights, motion sensors, cameras, and the ability to program via your IPhone.  All sounds great, except that I'm seeing some unflattering reviews, some short lifespans on non-replaceable LEDs, a lot of plastic, and some low light output values (2000 lumens).

Anyone using any units that have better performance?

PS - This is a saltwater environment; exposed non-stainless steel components or fasteners are a no-no.

LL

I don't know about the auto phone programming stuff, but CREE corporation makes high end LED stuff that lasts for years in the worst environments.  They supply almost ALL the street lights for cities on the Coasts. Also make some lighter duty  stuff. Contact a store that does industrial lighting. They can get the CREE stuff.

You can get LED flood lights that are as bright or brighter than 500 watt halogen flood lights. Looks for lights that output at least 10,000 lumens, have a color temp of 5K (Daylight) and an IP65 or IP66 rating.

AFAIK all flood lights in this class will have aluminum housing as it is needed to disapate the heat generated by the LEDs.

We use them at work with good success. Out flight line has LED floods that are 12"X12" panels that are so bright that are painfully bright if you get too close. 

Do not count LEDs out. The technology has advanced by leaps and bounds. The high output lights are extremely bright!

Archived