SASS Wire Forum

"Best" punch set?

Shooting Bull

My skills as a gunsmith are very well documented.  As the master metal mangler that I am I'm going to blame my tools. (Or lack thereof)  Instead of using various sized nails I think I'll ask Santa for an actual set of punches.  Anyone have suggestions for a good set?

Grace USA makes good punches.  I've got a partial set, augmented with some fairly good Craftsman punches.

I have a set of Snap-On roll pin punches that have served me well for many years.  

38 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Grace USA makes good punches.  I've got a partial set, augmented with some fairly good Craftsman punches.

I have a set of Snap-On roll pin punches that have served me well for many years.  

Really hard to beat Snap-on tools for being well designed and durable--pricey though.  I don't know if they offer brass punches.  Don't expect good tools to overcome lack of good craftsmanship skills and knowledge (such as which direction to drive pins out and in).  But like in most everything else, that experience comes faster, easier, and better with good tooling.  It's near-impossible to good gunsmithing without good punches and screwdrivers that exactly fit the task. 

Punches are pretty simple, so finding the "Best" is not really necessary (compared to say a screw driver or tips set).  As long as the steel is properly hardened, they will work a LONG time, and can be touched up on a grinder.   Brass punches are just as important, especially for sights and pins showing on the outside surface.   Ask for a set of both!    Then, next year, ask for a set of hollow-pin punches for those few guns with roll pins.

Good luck, GJ

My steel punches are Starret and very nice. Just order a couple extra 1/16" one though as they  bend real easy. I got mine thru Brownell's

I suggest that you also consider getting the right size ball peen hammer to strike the smaller punches safely, with precise results.

Cat Brules

Almost all my punches are from Starrett or Snalp On.  However I have a set of the "replaceable pin" punches from Brownells. Not as sturdy as the fixed steel ones, but you can get short pins for them that are great for starting small pins. Long tiny diameter pin punches from the best companies bend easily and the short Brownells replaceable pins solve that problem.

Wheeler makes a nice set of roll pin punches. When you first look at them...you think it is a double set of punches. The ones that look like flat punches are pin starters. They are actually hollow...so you can put a pin inside the punch to start it. I think wheeler may make a set of flat punches also. The set even comes with a small two faced hammer 

2 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Are you trying to tell me that the 16 penny nail I have in my tool set has been replaced by some sort of new fangled tool, that works like the 16 penny nail but isn't called a 16 penny nail???

That’s what I’m being told. Still not 100% convinced it’s true. Just window shopping for now. :D

Brass won't mark up the gun for like sight installs etc.

Steel for removing steel cross pins and such.

The set#2 I think will work great.

HINT-You can slip a .22 rf case over a smaller dia drift punch to keep from mar'n up a sight's finish........

OLG

11 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

For roll or solid pins, I would look at Brownells

OLG

Get a set of punches from Brownells.  Everything I’ve ever purchased from them has been of first quality and has never failed.  If you DON’T have their catalog, call the number below and order the catalog for a small price.  It has a TON of firearms and other, related information and data as well as a wealth of products, materials and supplies.  

You can order the punches now from the website link, below.

BROWNELLS

200 South Front Street
Monteza IA 50171

(641) 623-5401

http://www.brownells.com/

Cat Brules

Proto also makes some nice punch sets & you can buy each one seppratly

Largo

12 minutes ago, Cpt Dan Blodgett, SASS #75655 said:

Really????? a 5lb sledge is not one size fits all???

Yeah, it’ll probably work just fine!  Shoot!  Who needs all those different hammers, anyway?    

Cat Brules

2 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

The best punch set is the one you can find when you need it.

Otherwise you snip the point off a nail, file off the rough edges and use that.

Why am I just now learning all this stuff??? :wacko:

uh uh! Nooo!  Get a set of real punches....small to medium, to start with, from Brownells.  Look at your guns and get punches to fit the pins you need to remove.  Push the pins out in the proper direction, if you can determine whether the pins are “directional” or not.  

Also read through the catalog offerings for gunsmith tools.

Archived