SASS Wire Forum

Favorite alliant black mz shotgun load

Ringer

It makes a difference if you are shooting reaction targets or knock downs. 

I can't remember the charge volume because I use a Lee dipper. (And I'd have to go look and see what number I use.) I use the shorter red/pink Claybuster CB1138 wad and 1oz shot.  But I also cut the folded crimp part off and roll crimp. 

Grains by weight are going to be different than grains by volume. Know which one is being recommended.

I just stepped into the reloading room and collected this data:

.45-70 case, carded off level full, no drop tube.

BMZ weighed 70.5 grains

Kik 3f - 74.2 grains

Goex 3f - 78.0 grains

Swiss 1 1/2 - 86.3 grains

Finer granulations are also going to weigh more per volume, because they take up more of the available space.

I use the same 2.8cc BMZ as Lunger Dan, with either 7/8 or 1 oz shot.

2.8cc BMZ = 36.2 grains by weight.

2.8cc Swiss 1 1/2 = 45.1 grains by weight.

Boy some variety.

I use 45 gr by weight and 1-1/16 oz shot and any wad that makes it all fit.

Never failed against a KD!!!  Nor failed a "Smoke Test".

Ol'  #4

Yep.  Difference in "by Weight" and "by Volume" are often very confusing.  I started by weighing out the load I wanted, then made a dipper to throw that amount of my selected propellant.  Since I don't have nor use commercial dippers graduated in "cc" I have no idea what measurable Volume my load is.  D do know what it weighs.  All I care about is the Knock Down targets go DOWN when fair hit.  Of course, if you miss .... it's all academic.

Ok,  I got up and looked. 

1091793391_12GaugereloadingtoolsOct2019.jpg.fc66670c2a86eb50580208cf9e5e92c5.jpg

Here is most of my shotgun specific loading tools.  Missing is the BPI roll crimp tool.

Loaded is a AA red hull but I've used most everything.  Note the nice roll crimp.  Short pink wad. The Lee dipper is 3.1CC. I'm thinking maybe a bit over 45 grains by volume.  The old dipper is shut down to 1oz. 

The long dowel rod with the dark divot is the rod I use with a box knife to trim old fold crimp.  

These are short enough to work in my old doubles with 2.5 chambers.  Also run fine in my original Winchester 87. 

One reason only I load my black powder loads this way is because I'll always know what's loaded with black powder and what's smokeless. 

Use once and toss.  

Archived