SASS Wire Forum

FedEx shipping warning

Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904

I just got a Vaquero delivered by FedEx with the box slit (not squished, cut with a knife).   My gun was OK, but the driver says he's delivered 3 others to a local pawn shop in the past few days that were also cut, and the boxes were EMPTY! UPS has had a BIG problem for years, appears now there's the same thing going on at FedEx, employee theft.

Insurance is a good thing, use it if you can

Using a dealer on your end and using USPS is the safest way by far.

MM,

I don't have actual numbers, but even dealers, FFL holders, etc.... face the same issues

when it comes to theft of packages, broken stocks, etc....

..........Widder

ONLY USE USPS with the EXTRA INSURANCE

The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

For handguns, no markings on the boxes and ....

Although still not insurance, FedEx will increase its liability for valuable shipments with a fee-based concept called declared value liability. FedEx declared value liability only kicks in if the packages you ship were packed by FedEx team members at a FedEx location

The problem is that even if the package has no markings the address is almost always a dead giveaway as the business name usually has a reference to guns or firearms. 

I have recently run across two FFL's that have requested that their name and not the business name be used. Still going to the address on the FFL but instead of Bob's Firearm Emporium the package is addressed to the printed name of the individual on the FFL.

56 minutes ago, John Boy said:

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

As Mudflat Mike stated, "Using a dealer on your end and using USPS is the safest way by far." Dealers may mail handguns, and are frequently the least expensive alternative. It depends on what your local dealer charges. I have had them mailed for $15 plus the cost of postage, $25 for a pair going to the same address.

My son-in-law works as a "roving postmaster" for several small towns up on the highline in northern Montana. He says it's almost a dead giveaway, regardless of the address, when a small, relatively heavy package insured for $600 or $1000 or whatever, comes through.

2 hours ago, John Boy said:

The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

For handguns, no markings on the boxes and ....

Although still not insurance, FedEx will increase its liability for valuable shipments with a fee-based concept called declared value liability. FedEx declared value liability only kicks in if the packages you ship were packed by FedEx team members at a FedEx location

I wish local USPS, FEDEX and UPS shipping offices were aware of ALL their rules and guidelines.

Two weeks back, I received a pistol thru the USPS, contrary to this "Handguns are not mailable".

LAST WEEK, I sent a pistol to Smith & Wesson via FED EX.   They told me they were NOT allowed to

pack "Firearms" under no circumstances.   I had to pack it in their box AND seal the box closed.

They (3 employees) didn't want to even touch the item until I sealed it closed.

I'm not sure any of their packing and shipping facilities know exactly what their suppose to do

when it comes to firearms.

..........Widder

Maybe we will end up with a SASS Pony Express, with members relaying packages cross-country for other members.   It wouldn't be real fast, but it would be reliable.  Some state lines would impose a problem though.  

16 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Maybe we will end up with a SASS Pony Express, with members relaying packages cross-country for other members.   It wouldn't be real fast, but it would be reliable.  Some state lines would impose a problem though.  

I'm positive that's already happening.

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I'm positive that's already happening.

I'd keep it on the QT.

The phrase 'Plausible Deniability' comes to mind.

..........Widder

8 hours ago, John Boy said:

The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable

5 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I received a pistol thru the USPS, contrary to this "Handguns are not mailable".

Handguns ARE mailable dealer to dealer.

Unless they have changed it takes a very long time to collect on the insurance.

Always a strong possibility of guns getting taken while in transit. Something that I always do, is to ship them is a disguised box. Lke a Battery charger box, or Rice cooker box, etc, etc. I always remove the stocks on Long Guns and ship them in a odd shaped box that would not look like it would hold a Long Gun.

Snakebite  

Taking the butt stock off a long gun makes the package look much smaller and not so much like a rifle. Although I received one back from a smith with the barrel sticking 10" thru the end of the box via UPS. The funny thing was the delivery guy asking me what it was. His face dropped when I told him. He was carrying it by the exposed barrel!

21 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

LAST WEEK, I sent a pistol to Smith & Wesson via FED EX.   They told me they were NOT allowed to

pack "Firearms" under no circumstances.   I had to pack it in their box AND seal the box closed.

They (3 employees) didn't want to even touch the item until I sealed it closed.

Maybe they did know the rules.  Based on what John Boy just told us, it sounds like that was a trick to keep the increased liability insurance from kicking in. 

On 10/28/2019 at 8:23 PM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I did that at the request of the purchaser of  my dry tumbler.  As I recall it took on a little over a year (or was it two?) for him to receive it

On 10/28/2019 at 8:23 PM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I'm a home-based online dealer, and both UPS and Fedex have always, always required signatures when a firearm is delivered.  The last three or four deliveries by Fedex in particular, they just left the guns on the porch, no signatures.  A couple of times it was the same substitute delivery man, but the last one was our regular Fedex delivery man for the last ten years.  Most distributors and manufacturers seem to be using Fedex these days, very little UPS.  UPS seems to still be requiring signatures on the rare occasion where we are receiving a UPS shipment, generally from a Gunbroker/Guns America shipment for transfer.  Very strange after 35 years of Fedex demanding mandatory signatures without fail.

A friend of mine runs a shop that makes signs, banners, etc. Some of the jobs required the signs to be made or mounted on-site because they were so large. With other work going on sometimes a person would go through his cooler or tool box by mistake (or not). He made these stickers and put them on his cooler and tool box. Nobody touches them anymore. Maybe something similar for firearm shipping?

HorseSemen.jpeg

Archived