SASS Wire Forum

Wade Fargo

Howdy,

New SASS member here looking to get into the fun, I haven't attended a match yet but I see one is scheduled for the 2nd Saturday of the month locally at the Wyoming Antelope club in St Petersburg Florida close to home. Jim Finch at Long Hunter Shooting supply’s Is fixing me up with Marlin 1894 lever action and a matched pair of Ruger New SASS Vaquero’s but it will be a while before I’m fully fitted up but I’m looking forward to slinging some lead.:D

Wade Fargo

Welcome to the game.  Don't buy anything else until you get to a match.  You'll have more help and input than you could ever use!

Welcome to the dance .

I would like to give you some advice if you dont mind .

1.Always be safe .

2. Always have fun 

3.Only  Compete with yourself  ( And You will always have fun ! )

You will meet great people that will become life long friends .

Rooster Ron Wayne 

3 minutes ago, Iron Biscuit SASS#108048 said:

Welcome it's fun and folks are happy to  help us newer folks figure it out 

Love the Alias.

2 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Welcome to the dance .

I would like to give you some advice if you dont mind .

1.Always be safe .

2. Always have fun 

3.Only  Compete with yourself  ( And You will always have fun ! )

You will meet great people that will become life long friends .

Rooster Ron Wayne 

+1  Welcome to the game!

Welcome to CAS.  You are in a great area for cowboy matches.  In addition to the Wyoming Antelope Club on the second Saturday, the Weewahootee Vigilance Committee is on the first Saturday, Hernando County Regulators on the first Sunday near Brooksville, Tater Hill Gunfighters on the second Sunday in Arcadia, Lake County Regulators on the third Saturday, Myakka Misfits on the third Sunday, nothing close to you on the forth Saturday unless you want to go to Palm Bay with the Indian River Regulators or Jacksonville with the Cowford Regulators.  And finally there is the Doodle Hill Regulatorsway on the forth Sunday across Tampa Bay in Ruskin.

You can get the contact info and map for all of these clubs from the SASS affiliated clubs link on the SASS home page.  With the exception of the forth Saturday, all of these matches should be within about an hour and a half or so from you.  Well early on a weekend morning anyway.

Hope to see you at some of the matches!

Welcome aboard Wade Fargo fantastic bunch of folks from all over. Have fun, shoot good and God Bless. Maybe see you down the old road some where in time pilgrim. and remember Yeeeeeh, Haaa!.

Jackrabbit Joe & Sly Puppy.

Look forward to meeting you at Antelope. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction with your equipment. The match usually starts around 9:30 - 10:00 with 6 stages. The shooting area is has an enclosed roof/walls so you'll need some decent hearing protection. If you forget something or need something, don't worry, there are plenty of pards that will loan you whatever you need. Welcome to the absolute best shooting game around.

CS

15 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Look forward to meeting you at Antelope. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction with your equipment. The match usually starts around 9:30 - 10:00 with 6 stages. The shooting area is has an enclosed roof/walls so you'll need some decent hearing protection. If you forget something or need something, don't worry, there are plenty of pards that will loan you whatever you need. Welcome to the absolute best shooting game around.

CS

Thanks! I spoke to Moog on the phone. It will only be to spectate but I’d like to go to one day of the Fort White event, was told there would be no November shoot at the Antelope.

Wade

2 hours ago, Wade Fargo said:

Thanks! I spoke to Moog on the phone. It will only be to spectate but I’d like to go to one day of the Fort White event, was told there would be no November shoot at the Antelope.

Wade

Welcome!

You should come if you can, it's a great event. There's always a swap meet going on, and the range is a permanent cowboy "town". Lots of GREAT folks here on the Florida trails!

If you have to choose or can only make it for a single day, I say Saturday is the day to come.

It is the main match and many folks will be there, that can't make it on Friday, myself included.

Look forward to seeing you around the local trails!

Chertrock

Welcome, Wade!

As mentioned, go to a match and try before you buy.

Let the match director or club secretary know you're showing up, and you will be surprised.

Welcome once again.

Hope to meet you on the range.  Have fun.  Longhunter is a wealth of information.  Talk to Jarrod.

Welcome, this is an amazing game. I have been involved for over 20 years and it never gets old. Due to being in the military I couldn't always participate as much as I wanted but I was always welcomed at whatever shooting event I made it to around the country. Have fun, take it slow, and build a character that you always wanted to be and again have fun. You will meet some of the nicest people in this sport. Happy Trails.

I can’t tell you all how much I appreciate your responses support and advice. I’m taking it to heart. Other then the marlin that ships today and the Vaquero’s that Jim says are nearly ready for shipping all I have is a hat and a comfortable pair of boots.

I don’t have room to reload but my preferred FFL will also load cowboy rounds with lead bullets I supply, apparently he provides that service for others in my area that I have yet to meet. That will help with my ammo costs.

I can gather ideas from the matches I attend in the next couple of months to get fully outfitted.

Thanks again!!:D

31 minutes ago, Wade Fargo said:

I can’t tell you all how much I appreciate your responses support and advice. I’m taking it to heart. Other then the marlin that ships today and the Vaquero’s that Jim says are nearly ready for shipping all I have is a hat and a comfortable pair of boots.

I don’t have room to reload but my preferred FFL will also load cowboy rounds with lead bullets I supply, apparently he provides that service for others in my area that I have yet to meet. That will help with my ammo costs.

I can gather ideas from the matches I attend in the next couple of months to get fully outfitted.

Thanks again!!:D

What size pants and shirts do you wear? I just happen to have several extra pairs of pants and shirts that can be had for cheap, real cheap. Can't help you with suspenders but there is a lot of places that sell those. As Allie stated, cowboy boot, jeans and a long sleeve shirt (you can roll the sleeves up in the heat) are all that is required but if you don't have those at first it's no big deal.

What kind of shotgun do you have? I might be able to help you out there also and if I don't have what you're looking for there are plenty of others that might.

You'll want to get some light shotgun shells also, 2 3/4 dram or less with no greater than #7 shot. I know that the SASS rules state that up to #4 is allowed but over #7 is not advised for what we do.

Lead bullets can be purchased from various local makers. Bullets By Chance and Outlaw Bullets come to mind and are both owned and operated by a couple of great folks and I can vouch for both of them personally.

You'll need some other items also (gun cart, spent brass container, etc) but come out to the matches to see what is to your liking.

There are plenty of matches within 2 hours or less from you every weekend with Antelope being the closest followed by Miakka, Ruskin, Brooksville with are about an hour away.

If you have any questions, pm me with your phone # and I'll give you a call. I live about a 1/2 hour away in Largo.

Sun

31 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

What size pants and shirts do you wear? I just happen to have several extra pairs of pants and shirts that can be had for cheap, real cheap. Can't help you with suspenders but there is a lot of places that sell those. As Allie stated, cowboy boot, jeans and a long sleeve shirt (you can roll the sleeves up in the heat) are all that is required but if you don't have those at first it's no big deal.

What kind of shotgun do you have? I might be able to help you out there also and if I don't have what you're looking for there are plenty of others that might.

You'll want to get some light shotgun shells also, 2 3/4 dram or less with no greater than #7 shot. I know that the SASS rules state that up to #4 is allowed but over #7 is not advised for what we do.

Lead bullets can be purchased from various local makers. Bullets By Chance and Outlaw Bullets come to mind and are both owned and operated by a couple of great folks and I can vouch for both of them personally.

You'll need some other items also (gun cart, spent brass container, etc) but come out to the matches to see what is to your liking.

There are plenty of matches within 2 hours or less from you every weekend with Antelope being the closest followed by Miakka, Ruskin, Brooksville with are about an hour away.

If you have any questions, pm me with your phone # and I'll give you a call. I live about a 1/2 hour away in Largo.

Sun

35 waist , large/XL shirt, I’ll send a PM with my contact info. I work in Clearwater so I’m passing through most days.

No shotgun but I’m partial to side by sides, hammers a plus. No sixgun leather or shell holders yet.

I’ve just took delivery of 1100 125 grain bullets from US Reloading Supply in Venice FL,  GS Customs Guns & Ammo in Largo on 66th street will load up those for me. I’ll check out the names you provided for the next run.

Thanks!

Wade

Archived