SASS Wire Forum

Leather rifle butt cover

GunTotinDoc

I'm looking for someone who makes custom  rifle butt covers.  I want one for Dead Shot Daisy's new rifle with a Daisy and her name on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gun Totin Doc

GTD,

My feeling is that I cannot see any practical use or value for a leather “butt cover”.   They offer no real protection to the shooter, collect abrasive grime, and were very rarely ever...IF ever, used without padding (if then, even) in past, period times.  Rifles then and now, are chambered for cartridges that present no significant recoil.  Plus, the butt cover presents it’s own limited, maintenance requirement.

But, that’s just my own take on it.  I have no intent to offend anyone, but only to present a point to consider..

That is, unless there is an aesthetic value of a leather butt cover that strikes your fancy and makes you happy.   That of course, is an entirely different matter!

Cat Brules

I have bought several from Jon at .

https://gunstockcover.com/main.sc;jsessionid=D1E9E72D33F4D527285B733CD8A62BB4.p3plqscsfapp006

Very nice stuff .

And always 100% satisfied .

Just Sayin .

Rooster 

7 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

My feeling is that I cannot see any practical use or value for a leather “butt cover”.  

• Protects the stock from dings/scratches when discarding the rifle
  • Personalizes the rifle if stamped/carved/dyed/etc
  • Can add some 'traction' to the butt of the rifle if there is only a metal butt plate
  • Can add some padding and change the crescent butt place to a flatter surface when shouldering

just to name a few....  ;)

I second Ricochet Roy, he makes some nice covers.  Also, Kirkpatrick now laser engraves butt covers, so there could be a solution there for some custom work.

Totes

Double Diamond down in Escondido, California does beautiful work. I’ll see if he’ll post some pictures.

1 hour ago, Cat Brules said:

GTD,

My feeling is that I cannot see any practical use or value for a leather “butt cover”.   They offer no real protection to the shooter, collect abrasive grime, and were very rarely ever...IF ever, used without padding (if then, even) in past, period times.  Rifles then and now, are chambered for cartridges that present no significant recoil.  Plus, the butt cover presents it’s own limited, maintenance requirement.

But, that’s just my own take on it.  I have no intent to offend anyone, but only to present a point to consider..

That is, unless there is an aesthetic value of a leather butt cover that strikes your fancy and makes you happy.   That of course, is an entirely different matter!

Cat Brules

The back of the cover 'grips' your shirt so the buttstock doesn't slide off. ;)

OLG

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The back of the cover 'grips' your shirt so the buttstock doesn't slide off. ;)

OLG

Well, okay then.  

OLG ain’t usually wrong.  I don’t notice any problem without a cover.  I have found the crescent butt is annoying, though.  Doesn’t seem to slow me down, but my speed is only average.  I do wish now, that I had ordered the straight, carbine butt stock.   But, that’s another discussion topic.....not for here.

Cat Brules

I like Michigan Rattler.  http://www.michiganrattler.com

Here's a photo of one he did for my shotgun. Can you guess the book/movie that it's honoring? 

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

Initially we added ours for identification.  Just starting out, we had started a new club and about eight of us had purchased identical rifles.  Adding different butt pads aided us in knowing which rifle was whose without checking the serial number.

For something total unique and custom Michigan rattler is your guy, call him , discuss what you want, you won’t be disappointed.

another choice....Klickitat Bob (Don Fordyce) out of Sun City West, AZ.

18 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Well, okay then.  

OLG ain’t usually wrong.  I don’t notice any problem without a cover.  I have found the crescent butt is annoying, though.  Doesn’t seem to slow me down, but my speed is only average.  I do wish now, that I had ordered the straight, carbine butt stock.   But, that’s another discussion topic.....not for here.

Cat Brules

I tend to stand the rifle in the corner, waiting it's turn, while I'm cleaning other guns.   The leather keeps it from sliding on the slick floor and falling.  Also protects the wooden parts of the gun cart from marring when I rest it on them.  

I second Double Diamond in Escondido, CA.  I just asked Double Diamond to make a stock cover for my Marlin.  The hard plastic end plate kept slipping while I was shooting.  I asked him for a cover that was a simple design with some non-skid stuff on the end.  He came up with a really nice cover with some suede on the end that has eliminated all slip.  He also added some padding on the inside to make it fit my shoulder a lot better.  He did a great job.  But he can make some real fancy covers as well.  Take a look at the 3-D rattle snake in the "Dree" cover in the following link.  His prices are also be best I've found for custom work.  I highly recommend him!

http://ddbleather.com/stock-covers/

A few of Double Diamonds stock covers.

D5C67126-E12F-4CB3-95CE-B129AC838F1C.jpeg

C16E5C47-5C8A-4D19-BA4D-E6580BF3CB3B.jpeg

C44C019A-985C-4E10-A8F1-D94C35ED134F.jpeg

70A668A5-3BAE-4E8E-AE44-11439ACC76AF.jpeg

Archived