SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Vaquero Hammer

Texas ShaDi

I have a pair of SASS Vaqueros that have a totally different feel when pulling back the hammer. I have replaced the springs to lighter ones and one gun always feels different. Any ideas on what would cause this?

have you checked for burrs or other issues on the surfaces in the action? I purchased a pair a couple years ago. One gun was nicely polished and smooth. The other looked like it missed a finishing step or three.

A little polishing on that second gun, and now they both work well! 

4 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

have you checked for burrs or other issues on the surfaces in the action? I purchased a pair a couple years ago. One gun was nicely polished and smooth. The other looked like it missed a finishing step or three.

A little polishing on that second gun, and now they both work well! 

No I haven't checked that but I sure will.

Have you actually MEASURED the spring compression, or just took the labeling as gospel?  When I tested about 50 NV springs from three different spring makers, no two springs from the same package measured the same--not even close to the same. 

I recommend you make a functional spring tester, as follows.   Run a wire through the spring and wrap a nut or other stop on one end.  Form the opposite end of the wire into a loop.  Open a bench vise just wide enough for the Wire to pass through without drag.  From the side, run the wire between  the vise jaws and rest the spring on top of the barely open Jaws, with the stop nut at the top.  With a fisherman's scale, hook the bottom loop and pull the wire downward one inch.  I use a 1" block of Aluminum as a marker, but a wood block would work fine.  Just read the scale.  It may not be accurate to the ounce, but it will be functional as a comparator for testing and pairing springs by their compression force.  

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Have you actually MEASURED the spring compression, or just took the labeling as gospel?  When I tested about 50 NV springs from three different spring makers, no two springs from the same package measured the same--not even close to the same. 

I recommend you make a functional spring tester, as follows.   Run a wire through the spring and wrap a nut or other stop on one end.  Form the opposite end of the wire into a loop.  Open a bench vise just wide enough for the Wire to pass through without drag.  From the side, run the wire between  the vise jaws and rest the spring on top of the barely open Jaws, with the stop nut at the top.  With a fisherman's scale, hook the bottom loop and pull the wire downward one inch.  I use a 1" block of Aluminum as a marker, but a wood block would work fine.  Just read the scale.  It may not be accurate to the ounce, but it will be functional as a comparator for testing and pairing springs by their compression force.  

Spring will very from lot run to lot run.

That's WHY when I'm tune'n 2 of the same guns-I will call Wolff Gunsprings and ask the order taker to pull the springs from the same lot run.

OP-What's the history on these 2 Rugers?

OLG

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That's WHY when I'm tune'n 2 of the same guns-I will call Wolff Gunsprings and ask the order taker to pull the springs from the same lot run.

OLG

These guns were purchased new about 3 months ago and are stock with the exception of changing the springs.

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

When I tested three new Wolffe springs out of  the same plastic packaging, purchased from Brownells, they still varied by more than 4#.   So now I test every spring.  I can generally  feel a difference of about a pound between two hammer pulls, so a four pound difference is pretty noticeable.  Whether it makes a functional difference, I do not know.  I'm not yet fast enough to distinguish.  But I sleep much better at night just knowing my springs are paired.  

1 hour ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

When I tested three new Wolffe springs out of  the same plastic packaging, purchased from Brownells, they still varied by more than 4#.   So now I test every spring.  I can generally  feel a difference of about a pound between two hammer pulls, so a four pound difference is pretty noticeable.  Whether it makes a functional difference, I do not know.  I'm not yet fast enough to distinguish.  But I sleep much better at night just knowing my springs are paired.  

Order directly from Wolff, and ask them to pull from the same lot run.;)

Trust me on this...

OLG

I bought a new pair of SASS Vaquero's about a month ago. Out of the box one was pretty smooth although the hammer pull was very heavy. The second was horrible, gritty, heavy, a night and day difference between the two. We took both apart, the gritty one had horrible burrs inside dragging on the hammer, the other had burrs but not as bad. After deburring and polishing a couple of contact areas and installing Wolff springs I can't tell the two apart without looking at the serial numbers. Rugers are built like tanks but their internal finish leaves us a lot of room for improvement. 

Gives you a little something to do with your new pistols.

Let's you put your own "mark" on em.

They're easy to work on and there is enough info out on the old interwebs to get ya through a little light polishing, deburring and spring replacement.

And it sure feels good to know you helped make em better.

As always, if you don't feel comfortable breaking them down and doing the work, PLEASE have someone competent do the work.

The key is to just clean them up a bit; if later on (after several hundred rounds) you feel you want them raced up, get yourself a good CAS gunsmith and let er rip!

Happy Shootin'!

Being a retired machinist I was amazed by the amount burrs! One on the grip frame was even keeping it from seating flat on the cylinder frame causing the hammer to be out of line with the slot in the frame. Having someone competent do the internal work is VERY important advise. My pard is both a very competent gun smith as well as a retired tooling engineer. It was a great learning experience working with him on this pair. I gained not only a sweet pair of Vaquero's but a wealth of invaluable knowledge. Bottom line, until the parts move smooth and free you'll never get the maximum benefit from new springs.

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

A good way to smooth'em out is to pack the action with toothpaste.:huh: Then hand cycle about 200 times, and flush out and oil.;)

OLG

And they'll smell minty fresh! :D

Archived