SASS Wire Forum

WTC? Savage cap and ball revolvers?

Warden Callaway

Almost is NOT double action... so I believe it would be legal.  Cocking trigger is separate from firing trigger, it 2 distinct actions.

I'm a Colt Man .

But I have to say .

This is a very over built pistol. 

And it is very interesting. 

Thank you for sharing. 

Rooster 

9 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I got one more video on the Savage pistol.  I like this guy.  I kind of cringe when he bangs an old relic on the bench to take it apart.  But then he has enough talent to make parts to repair it.

WOW !

Thank you Mr. Colt for all the fine firearms you provided for us :D

On 10/27/2019 at 7:45 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Velly Interistink (Stolen famous TV line)

But Schtupit !  (R.I.P. Arte)

Howdy

I was able to buy this one a couple of years ago. It is fully functional. I am just unsure if I can use the original nipples, they are pretty beat up.

Savage%20North%20Navy%20Revolver%2001_zp

Savage%20North%20Navy%20Revolver%2002_zp

One of my 'project guns, I never really got started on the project.

I have had the grips and side plate off before, but the videos inspired me to go a little bit further tonight. Someone put a ton of grease inside this one.

Savage%20North%20Inside%2001_zps4lzur5gi

I never realized before tonight that there are two separate springs, not one V spring.

Savage%20North%20Inside%2002%20No%20Seri

This is the first time I have removed the loading lever. It is very stiff, needs some TLC to get it to work smoothly.

Savage%20North%20Inside%20Loading%20Leve

Another view with the grips and side plates off.  Tons of grease. This is the first time I have removed the cylinder too.

Savage%20North%20Inside%2003_zpsrzpaiqkv

Savage%20North%20Cylinder%2001_zpsokcdr3

Savage%20North%20Cylinder%2003_zps06vsjs

Savage%20North%20Cylinder%2002_zpsdhaare

This is the 'coil spring' that shoves the cylinder. It is actually a piece of strap steel, bent around an arbor, not a modern type of coil spring made of wire.

Savage%20North%20Coil%20Spring_zpsbe4inf

The round disk is what is left of the rear sight. Somebody thought it was a good idea to file it flat. Oh well, I doubt I would be shooting very accurately with it anyway.

Savage%20North%20Patent%20Markings_zpswp

One more photo for size comparison, the Savage-North revolver with a Colt Richards Conversion. The Savage weighs 3 pounds 13 ounces, the Colt weighs 3 pounds even. Seeing as the Colt was a 44 and the Savage a 36 caliber, and much heavier, it is probably pretty obvious why the Colts were preferred.

Savage%20North%20and%20Colt%20Richards%2

So my idea for this antique was to first see if I could find some caps that fit and if they would actually fire.  If the nipples are too buggered up they will have to be removed and new ones made. Have not gotten that far yet.

Today was the first time I peered down the bore. Rifling is fairly strong, and there is some corrosion, but not too bad, considering. I expect it should put a good spin on a ball.

Cartridge conversion?

Can you say Pin Fire?

33 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Oh well, I doubt I would be shooting very accurately with it anyway.

I think the Capandball did pretty good with his. 

I bet the gunsmith guy would have loved to had that one to go by when he made parts. I've had to make parts where all I had to go by was a poor parts diagram drawing and related places it had to connect or fit and it's not easy. 

The grease is probably Ballistol left over from the War of Yankee Aggression. :o

Archived