SASS Wire Forum

WTC, BP state Match

Goody, SASS #26190

Got a call this afternoon. A state SASS Sanctioned BP Championship match had just concluded. Like most states all categories were included, not just the few regular BP categories. Some had shot BW, using Blackhawks and 97. At the conclusion of the match someone complained that the rules for BP specified non adjustable sights. I was asked my opinion and said that I believed it would follow the rules for the category, B Western, with BP being the powder in all guns. Was this the proper call?

Rules for guns and clothing requirements follow the specified SASS category requirements, although BP or sub must be used. So, in BW, they can use a 97 and adjustable sights.

They may also have had a gunfighter category as well as a Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter category offered. The difference being the Gunfighter category may use a 97 shotgun where the FCG may not.

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Got a call this afternoon. A state SASS Sanctioned BP Championship match had just concluded. Like most states all categories were included, not just the few regular BP categories. Some had shot BW, using Blackhawks and 97. At the conclusion of the match someone complained that the rules for BP specified non adjustable sights. I was asked my opinion and said that I believed it would follow the rules for the category, B Western, with BP being the powder in all guns. Was this the proper call?

Please explain what a SASS Sanctioned BLACK POWDER Championship Match is.

(Must be something new that someone invented)

26 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

SASS Black Powder State Championships, Territorial Championships, and International Championship matches have been around for a while. 

They are sanctioned by SASS. The form for hosting one of these Championship level matches is on the website.

If you are looking for a great SASS sanctioned Black Powder Championship match, head to Florida in the spring. They have a double Championship weekend with the SE Territorial BP Championship as well as the International BP Championship.

Two great matches run by a great bunch of cowboys

http://fwcc.net/

All category rules apply the difference is you use BP or BP substitute instead of smokeless. If I remember right the BP championships are not supposed to have an overall match award but only class awards.

SASS-sanctioned Black Powder matches have been going on since (at least) 2006.
BP Regionals were designated as "Territorial" matches and, as with the State
BP Championships, offer all SASS categories (including the "smokeless" cats) using BP in all firearms.

Some matches also split the percussion shooters out from the cartridge users (e.g. offering both Frontiersman Gunfighter and FCGF).

I participated in the first NW Territorial BP match in 2006 and, out of habit at that time, checked the box for "Traditional" category.
That was the same as "Frontier Cartridge" (fixed-sight revolvers shot Traditional/two-handed-style) the difference being, as Branchwater Jack mentioned, 1897 shotguns could be used in "Traditional".
One other shooter had done the same (but we both used SxS shotguns)

7 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

All category rules apply the difference is you use BP or BP substitute instead of smokeless. If I remember right the BP championships are not supposed to have an overall match award but only class awards.

IIRC, the reason for no "Overall" match winner is that many matches also offer some type of "Plainsman" category (using a single-shot rifle, often with a reduced round count)

2 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Answered above by several.

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Answered above by several.

Somebody please point me to the rules, and  contract for the event.

17 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Somebody please point me to the rules, and  contract for the event.

From the contract

SASS Shooting Categories:

SASS State Blackpowder Shootouts are required to offer a variety of shooting categories. Categories are divided into two main divisions, Frontier Cartridge and Frontiersman (Cap and Ball). Each division can offer Wrangler, Cowboy, Duelist, Gunfighter, Cowgirl, Lady Wrangler, Lady Duelist, Lady Gunfighter, Seniors, Elder Statesman, Lady Senior, Grande Dame, Young Guns, Buckaroo, Classic Cowboy, Classic Cowgirl, and Plainsman. 

In the interest of ensuring and promoting a true competitive environment at this level of SASS shooting competition with the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting™, it is highly encouraged all categories have a minimum of 3 registered shooters in ladies categories and a minimum of 7 registered shooters in open categories. There is no mandated limit on Junior, Buckaroo/Buckarette, as well as Elder Statesman/Grand Dame, and +.

Recommendations:

Please refer and adhere to the SASS Match Administration and Stage Design documents on the SASS Website for guidance regarding appropriate match and stage design.  

It is recognized an “all blackpowder” match incorporating all the categories in the SASS Shooters Handbook “bends” the stated rules regarding propellants. All firearms must use blackpowder or SASS acceptable substitutes that generate smoke at least equivalent to 1 CC of blackpowder. 

Archived