SASS Wire Forum

Have y’all seen anything like this?

Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423

Well, of course you’ve seen similar if you watched my coverage of the California State Championship “Master Gunfighter” side match. But, this one has been kicked up a notch! 

It’s 1 stage using 14 Firearms and shooting 58 rounds. Ya gotta see it!  

Enjoy. 

2 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Shoot and Scoot at Comin at Cha.

One stage that really covers 3 normal stages. 100 rounds with Spur Roberts yelling at you the whole time.

Oh!  I think I’ve seen that on Facebook and it looked like a LOT of fun!!  

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Hey JIK-You really should add a Marlin 94 rifle to the list :lol::P

OLG

Yes, yes, I think that is a great idea!  

2 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Shoot and Scoot at Comin at Cha.

One stage that really covers 3 normal stages. 100 rounds with Spur Roberts yelling at you the whole time.

One year it included a Gatling gun ........ :o

We used to do the same thing for the top gun shoot off at the Idaho state shoot.   The guns came from a number of shooters.  The idea was the only guns you were used to were your own.   Like this stage some of your cowboy guns were part of the stage.   One of the problems we had was restaging all the guns.   We also had the shooters where they could not watch the shooters ahead of them.   You can learn a lot by watching the shooters ahead of you.   Bullett 19707

7 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

One year it included a Gatling gun ........ :o

If memory serves me correctly (and, it doesn’t always) it did when I saw it too.  And, as I recall it was this year...

6 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

So where do all the guns come from?  Does each shooter use his/her own?  Maybe 5% could do that.  

I was also asked this question on YouTube and I should have mentioned that in the video!   All the shooter had to provide, other than the side match fee, was their main match rifle and revolvers.  The rest, guns and ammo, were provided by the club, in this case The Old 97 Railroad Rangers. 

5 hours ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

We used to do the same thing for the top gun shoot off at the Idaho state shoot.   The guns came from a number of shooters.  The idea was the only guns you were used to were your own.   Like this stage some of your cowboy guns were part of the stage.   One of the problems we had was restaging all the guns.   We also had the shooters where they could not watch the shooters ahead of them.   You can learn a lot by watching the shooters ahead of you.   Bullett 19707

I always thought that’d be a good idea for a top gun shoot off...

1 hour ago, Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 said:

If memory serves me correctly (and, it doesn’t always) it did when I saw it too.  And, as I recall it was this year...

I was also asked this question on YouTube and I should have mentioned that in the video!   All the shooter had to provide, other than the side match fee, was their main match rifle and revolvers.  The rest, guns and ammo, were provided by the club, in this case The Old 97 Railroad Rangers. 

Great way to do it.  Shooters get to experience lots of guns and lots of fun.  

12 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

So where do all the guns come from?  Does each shooter use his/her own?  Maybe 5% could do that.  

At the Shoot and Scoot. All guns was provided. You would not even know what guns until you

ran up to shoot them in the middle of the stage. Workers loaded them and staged them for you.

Cost to shoot it was 100 rounds of ammo. Which was how many rounds it took to shoot it.

73, 66, Marlin, Rugers Open Tops. If I remember right. Even a shotgun or two thrown in the mix.

From 97 to hammered to 87 if they could find one. Who knew until you ran up to it. Pistols loaded with 5

rounds. Rifles was also 5 rounds.

45 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Some Lustrum ago, was a match in Tennessee had a Side Match similar to that.  Included a spear, was shot ALL BP.  Super Fun

About 15 years ago we had one called the "Humdinger."

It was at a place called" Possum Trot."  In Tennessee.

Threw a knife, shot a bow, threw a spear and tomahawk all the while escaping from jail and making your way through town until you got to the coral.  Along the way you shot guns of every style and every way used in Sass at that time. All weapons were staged and when used it was at least 1 round on the targets in front of you.

In later years we moved across the bridge and used stages from a train to the depot ending the stage with a 100yd shot with a 45-70.

We revived a mini humdinger at Black Gold last year.

On 10/28/2019 at 9:21 AM, Yusta B. said:

Another year Gunzilla's 4 barrel shotgun was staged. That's one HEAVY SG !

I’d have liked to give that a try!!

On 10/28/2019 at 2:59 PM, Knucky McPolack said:

So much fun.  The Knuck is still grinning from ear to ear.  

Knuck!  I musta been off loadin’ percussion revolvers for folks to shoot when you were up there shootin’.  Glad I got to see it. 

On 10/28/2019 at 7:47 PM, watab kid said:

that looked fun , a combination of everything that i love to shoot and a couple i would love to shoot if i had the chance , 

It was fun!! 

On 10/28/2019 at 9:14 PM, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

That looks like a hoot.  Where and when is the state match next year? :ph34r:

Redmond, Oregon with the Old ‘97 Railroad Rangers.  As for the dates, (thanks @JailhouseJim) May 26-31, 2020,

10 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Some Lustrum ago, was a match in Tennessee had a Side Match similar to that.  Included a spear, was shot ALL BP.  Super Fun

If  Tetherow Tex LaRue sees this there’s no tellin’ what he’ll add!  :lol:

9 hours ago, Ringer said:

Threw a knife, shot a bow, threw a spear and tomahawk all the while escaping from jail and making your way through town until you got to the coral.  Along the way you shot guns of every style and every way used in Sass at that time. All weapons were staged and when used it was at least 1 round on the targets in front of you.

In later years we moved across the bridge and used stages from a train to the depot ending the stage with a 100yd shot with a 45-70.

That stage sounds like SO much fun!  Reminds me of some of the old school stuff we used to do...

9 hours ago, Ringer said:

I would love to shoot something like that.

4 minutes ago, Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 said:

That stage sounds like SO much fun!  Reminds me of some of the old school stuff we used to do...

That looks like a lot of fun.

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

That looks like a lot of fun.

I wish I had more video from matches like this: 

It was back in the day when I didn’t have all the high-quality filming equipment though... so, I just cherish these little gems I find! (Oh, and publish ‘em on JED iTV for the rest of the world to see!!)

9 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

I found it, May 26-31, 2020, Redmond, Orygon Territory.

Thanks you!  I apologize for the wrong dates!  I’ve added it to my calendar and I will edit my post so that nobody takes my information as the correct information.

I should come with a disclaimer... :blush:

9 minutes ago, Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 said:

Thanks you!  I apologize for the wrong dates!  I’ve added it to my calendar and I will edit my post so that nobody takes my information as the correct information.

I should come with a disclaimer... :blush:

;):o:D

10 hours ago, Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 said:

I wish I had more video from matches like this: 

It was back in the day when I didn’t have all the high-quality filming equipment though... so, I just cherish these little gems I find! (Oh, and publish ‘em on JED iTV for the rest of the world to see!!)

That looks fun and you're shooting a 87.  I love the swinging lolly pops with the rifle in the saddle.  that was a good mount by the way.  Shalako Tucker had swinging targets for the rifle on a couple of his stages at there recent Biggest Little Match in Dayton, WA.  Challenging but fun.  Glad you still have and share these old treasures.

shot the Humdinger at least twice,, loads of fun,  have shot the scoot and shoot twice too,, at least, and love it, even won it once and almost another time,,,blind squirrels find nuts every now and then

Archived