SASS Wire Forum

Special toast to Judge'm All Duncan

At the banquet at the Southeastern Regional last night, we had a special toast to kick it all off. Some of our good friends were off traveling West and asked that I post it here.

I assume that most of y’all are probably like me and have had plenty of folks ask you about Cowboy Action Shooting. Usually, at some point in the conversation, we end up talking about the differences between our regular, monthly matches and bigger, annual matches.

To me, annual matches are a lot like family reunions where you see folks you might only see once or twice a year. From my home not too far from here, I can go to the Georgia State shoot and see friends from the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida. I can go to the Tennessee State shoot and see friends from Kentucky, Georgia, and Indiana. I can go to the Mississippi State shoot and see friends from Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Texas. I can travel to the Illinois state shoot in Sparta and see friends from Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, and Kentucky.

First, I would like to personally thank you all for traveling to my home and being a part of my family. I sincerely hope that you have enjoyed yourself over these past several days and hope that you have met at least one new person and met with members of your cowboy family you may not have seen in a while.

Sadly, there is a member of my family that is not here tonight that I desperately wish could be.

Many years ago, when I was just starting out in this game, I traveled to Georgia for my first ‘big match,’ Round up at River Bend, at the time the Georgia State Championship.

There, I met a character larger than life, with a smile as big as his heart. He never met a stranger. When you met him for the first time, he made you feel that you knew each other your entire life.

Folks who know me by my alias, call me Branchwater Jack. Folks who shoot with me regularly shorten it to Branchwater. But this cowboy, in his drawn out, distinctly southern accent just called me Jack.

By his example, he taught me how to be a fierce competitor, humble in times of victory, congratulatory to others, and classy in defeat.

He taught me things about putting on this match for y’all, the shooters, that I hope that I got right.

He influenced me to keep shooting black powder and convinced me that I needed to shoot it gunfighter, even before Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter was a category.

When his health began to fail him, he never lost that attitude. His performance began to suffer as his health did, but his competitiveness, his love for the game, and his love for his cowboy family never waned. He kept encouraging me, constantly telling me that his health was going to improve and that he was going to come back better than ever and put a whoopin’ on me, so I better keep practicing.

For those of you who also knew Judge'm All Duncan @Judge'm All Duncan, SASS#67320, you know that his passing left a big hole in a lot of our hearts. I know of other folks, too many to mention them all, that, if I were to bet, I am sure that I can safely say that we have all lost a member of our cowboy family this past year.

So, tonight, I ask that you join me and raise a glass.

For our Cowboy family that we have known since we first started playing the game

For those cowboys and cowgirls that we just met, but will now, forever be a part of our family

For those cowboys and cowgirls that we have lost 

For those cowboys and cowgirls that have yet to meet as they join us in playing the game

For your health, safety, and the hope to see you all back here next year.

Salute.

Raising a glass to "Dunc" ( that's what I called him) knew him a long time. Quite a guy, and gentleman. All heart and a mile wide. Here's to you.

Isom

I listened to you and read it again on your original piece of paper last night Branchwater, great job and very special. Thank you

Salute!!

Wally was my BROTHER!! We traveled together. We shot together. We sang together!  We suffered together and supported each other when we did.

I will miss him forever. I think of him when I shoot. I think of him when I travel. I think of him when I sing!!

Thank you, Branchwater Jack, for remembering a friend who shaped our lives!!

Thank you, Jack for honoring Judge.

From where we were sitting I couldn't hear, thanks for bringing the paper copy to us. We passed it around and

all read it with reverence, and so many memories. I know that in the past you have told that story to me in person.

Judge was such a fine friend to me, nah! He was my BROTHER! When I was still writing stages, and so was he, we

bounced so much off each other.

So many phone calls we shared, big and small matches by the many dozens, and the wonderful times we would

just sit and talk.

I think of him most every day.

It was bittersweet, but thanks, again.

Harley.

7 hours ago, Ocoee Red #31751 said:

I listened to you and read it again on your original piece of paper last night Branchwater, great job and very special. Thank you

Salute!!

Agree!  Branchwater Jack did an outstanding job...and it was very special. I’m glad I was there to be a part of it! 

Big hugs!

Scarlett

Archived