SASS Wire Forum

For Sale Vintage Buck Kalinga Knife Early Manufacture

Tinpan McGurk

More stuff out of storage:

The original Buck model 401 Kalinga came out in late 1969/early 1970 as a premium hunting knife.. It was designed by Frank D Buck the brother of Al Buck who had taken over the business originally founded by his father Hoyte...and became one of Al Bucks favorite knives, he even named his boat the Kalinga.
Early 1969/1970 versions had black micarta grips, 4 3/4 stainless steel skinner style blade, brass riveted scabbard and a presentation case.  Shortly after the introduction Buck changed over to the laminate wood handles.
The original line was discontinued around 1988 because it was very expensive to make but has been re-introduced with the newer versions having a stitched scabbard and some design changes to the blade etc, to make them easier to manufacture and reduce manufacturing cost.
The blade marking on this one does not have the date code, which was not introduced until 1986, the two line stamping does not include the model number which puts the date of manufacture between 1969 and 1972.   
Knife is in as new condition and has never been sharpened, scabbard is in the same condition, the presentation case has a few minor scuff marks and the velvet liner has a hole that doesn't show but it looks like the point put a hole in it at some time. 
Fine custom knife and one of the earliest of the Kalinga  401's produced.  The new ones are nice but are not as nice as the earlier versions..$150.00 SHIPPED AND INSURED
Thanks for looking

Tinpan McGurk SASS#82891

_1kalinga.JPG

_2kalinga.JPG

_3kalinga.JPG

great knife!!  I've got one, with the black grip,,  really an excellent knife,  great for skinning,,,,and to me, a great price for a quality knife

oh, I've even got the gospel tract that was included...

Archived